WMO

Static Line/IAD Training DZ's

WMO

Anybody know of a DZ with a Great S/L or IAD Program?

Not to deter from your question but I've never seen the phrase "great" paired with "S/L or IAD..." The only great application is getting an A-License for tunnel instructors. I do realize it's none of my business.

To answer, another is Virginina Skydiving Center.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

DJL

***Anybody know of a DZ with a Great S/L or IAD Program?

Not to deter from your question but I've never seen the phrase "great" paired with "S/L or IAD..." The only great application is getting an A-License for tunnel instructors. I do realize it's none of my business.

What's wrong with static line?
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

Rstanley0312

******Anybody know of a DZ with a Great S/L or IAD Program?

It makes less use of the aircraft and generates less revenue for the dz and staff.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

gowlerk

*********Anybody know of a DZ with a Great S/L or IAD Program?

It makes less use of the aircraft and generates less revenue for the dz and staff.Having both S/L and AFF ratings, my take on the difference is economics rather than quality of training. By 100 jumps, I doubt if there is any noticeable difference in a jumpers abilities other than the S/L trained will be comfortable with low exits.
By economics, I mean aircraft utilization. It makes no sense to have a turbine orbit at 3500' for multiple S/L exits.
It also makes more sense to put 3 or 4 students out of a Cessna on successive passes rather than tie up the aircraft with 3 people to full altitude for one AFF.
One instructor can easily train and put out 12 S/L students in a day, actually making S/L much more profitable for a Cessna DZ.
The suggestion that "S/L is only a great way to to get tunnel instructors a license" shows a level of either arrogance or stupidity beyond my ability to comment further.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

ufk22

************Anybody know of a DZ with a Great S/L or IAD Program?

It makes less use of the aircraft and generates less revenue for the dz and staff.Having both S/L and AFF ratings, my take on the difference is economics rather than quality of training. By 100 jumps, I doubt if there is any noticeable difference in a jumpers abilities other than the S/L trained will be comfortable with low exits.
By economics, I mean aircraft utilization. It makes no sense to have a turbine orbit at 3500' for multiple S/L exits.
It also makes more sense to put 3 or 4 students out of a Cessna on successive passes rather than tie up the aircraft with 3 people to full altitude for one AFF.
One instructor can easily train and put out 12 S/L students in a day, actually making S/L much more profitable for a Cessna DZ.
The suggestion that "S/L is only a great way to to get tunnel instructors a license" shows a level of either arrogance or stupidity beyond my ability to comment further.

I absolutely agree with all of what you say. In a world where pretty much every DZ will tell you that whatever method they use is "the best". The truth is that whatever makes the best use of the aircraft and staff resources available is what they use. And therefore is the best.
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

Trafficdiver

Z Hills or Vermont Skydiving Adventures.

I don't know if either is great as I did AFF but they both have the program.

ZHills doesn't offer S/L as a commercial program. You could pick up a S/L rating via Skydive Ratings (Bram Clement), however. Frankly, it has been a rare S/L course that I've seen go through. IAD on the other hand...I see pretty frequently.

Seriously?

DJL

S/L is a valid method of learning to skydive. Many of the "great" skydivers we have today started that way. But I still prefer AFF for most.

BTW, I've trained several tunnel instructors via AFF. Always a pleasure to jump with a student that makes my job that easy. ;)

gowlerk

*********Anybody know of a DZ with a Great S/L or IAD Program?

It makes less use of the aircraft and generates less revenue for the dz and staff.

SL may make less money for staff but the margins on SL are better and the ability to crank more out are also better.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

DJL

As an IAD student can I ask what it is about the training I am getting is subpar? What skills will I be lacking in once licensed that I will need extra training to make up for? I want to be proficient and safe skydiver so your advice is appreciated!

Dr.SkyFall

As an IAD student can I ask what it is about the training I am getting is subpar? What skills will I be lacking in once licensed that I will need extra training to make up for? I want to be proficient and safe skydiver so your advice is appreciated!

Talk to your instructors, not some dude on the internet. What you're getting is what you're getting, they'll fill in the blanks and let you know the differences from start to finish. As several have said, you won't see any difference between the two for seasoned skydivers, just in how you scrambled the eggs.