1 1
skyh2omedic

Static line ballon jumps

megamalfunction

Here is a picture of the setup potatoman was suggesting, also from United Parachute Technologies. This would probably be the best way to go.

But with this setup you will not have the same flexibility.
You have to disconnect the static line/bag and connect a PC to use the rig in freefall.
With a throw out SL setup you only need to disconnect the velcro and close the rig as usual.

Well a throwout static line setup would certainly eliminate my embarrassing crusty-eyed mornings when I hit myself in the face with spring-loaded pilot chutes when I add them to student rigs. Always happens when I'm tired, only when my students are watching me.

Hellis

***Here is a picture of the setup potatoman was suggesting, also from United Parachute Technologies. This would probably be the best way to go.

You have to disconnect the static line/bag and connect a PC to use the rig in freefall.
With a throw out SL setup you only need to disconnect the velcro and close the rig as usual.

Just depends on how badly you want to do this. Anyways, I can detach and reattach my Bridal in a jiffy. The static bag is loose anyways. (You cannot really do this with normal gear, you require elastic loops on the outside flaps to keep the static line in place)
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

potatoman

******Here is a picture of the setup potatoman was suggesting, also from United Parachute Technologies. This would probably be the best way to go.

Just depends on how badly you want to do this. Anyways, I can detach and reattach my Bridal in a jiffy. The static bag is loose anyways. (You cannot really do this with normal gear, you require elastic loops on the outside flaps to keep the static line in place)

Sure you can!
Not sure if it's visible on the video, but we used normal student gear.
You give the SL to the student and tell them, "hold this".
See?
We never encounterd any issues.

And if the pin/static line cable got pulled it's easy to close and not as spring PCs

ETA: Over here replacing the bridle is a riggerswork, which makes it even less convenient

skyh2omedic

I'm looking for procedural information for making a static line ballon jump. I was unable to find anything when i searched these forums. Thanks in advance.

First Question:
Student Y/N?
Y > not a good idea. I don´t think that will follow USPA BSR for Students.
N > still freaky ..

let´s see SIM:
"Static line (main)
1. The FAA requires static line deployment to be either by direct bag or pilot-chute assist.
2. The direct bag is a more positive method of static-
line deployment because it reduces the chance of the student interfering with main canopy deployment.
3. The FAA requires an assist device to be used with
a static line deployment"

Remember: this is meant to be while exiting an aircraft at 70 kts (+/-)

What may happen?
> Direct Bag: low speed Slider-up deployment may result in twists, due to the lack of airspeed in filling the canopy.
The canopy swivvels a lot.
> PCA: low speed Slider-up with a 32" PC will result in hesitations, due to the lack of airspeed. this may cause different issues, also related to stable/unstable body positions.

We all know that we jump into zero airspeed when exiting a ballon.

But how do the BASE-guys deal with that?
PCA or Staticline at BASE is usually done with no-slider main, no POD, 9ft bridle and 46" PC (to ensure enough drag on the bridle/pin to open the container and extract the canopy).

Just compare SL or PCA BASE-exits with your idea.
can you practice your exit move at a mockup?
> sit-exit or standing on the basket?
can you ensure a stable, head-up bodyposition for at least 5 seconds?
is the attachementpoint suitablefor the SL?
> imagine a SL-in-tow ..
do you know how to deal with linetwists?

If I would think about a SL jump from a ballon, my solution would be the direct bag setup.
;-)
--------------------------------------------------

With sufficient thrust,
pigs just fly well

Just clip a large carbines to the top of the cabane struts. Bonus points if you clip it onto a piece of hardware that directly connects to balloon suspension lines.
A locking carbiner is best. Even a huge (10?) Maillon Rapide locks.
Pack the parachute with a direct-bag and static-line. Stow most of the excess S/L in a series of rubber bands. Stow the last bit of excess S/L to a rubber band that is Velcroed to a main riser cover (extra magnet on newer containers?).
Flop the last bit of S/L forward, over the jumper's shoulder and secure it to the chest strap buckle with one last rubber band.

Once you are above jump altitude, clip the end of the S/L to the carbines.
Assist the jumper in climbing over the gunwale of the basket.
Trace S/L one last time to ensure that it is clear.
Wish them a happy jump.
Tell jumper to shove off.