2 2
skydived19006

IAD/SL Training DZs, When do your Coaches start working with students?

skydived19006

(4) Following a successful clear-and-pull, each
student must be supervised in the aircraft and
in freefall by a USPA Coach or Instructor
until demonstrating stability and heading
control prior to and within five seconds after
initiating two intentional disorienting maneuvers
involving a back-to-earth presentation.

(5) All ground training must be conducted by an
instructor in that student’s training method,
initiating two intentional disorienting maneuvers [NW]...

My dz takes these to mean: until the "two intentional back to earth maneuvers", only instructors can conduct the ground training. Coaches can observe the jumps, just not train them for the jumps. As my IE put it, that's only practical if we have multiple students at a time on each jump, or if the instructor is injure or sick and has the coach go in the plane as a substitute. In normal situations, the person who trains them also goes on the jump; it's pretty fun that way.

sammielu

(4) Following a successful clear-and-pull, each
student must be supervised in the aircraft and
in freefall by a USPA Coach or Instructor
initiating two intentional disorienting maneuvers
involving a back-to-earth presentation.

(5) All ground training must be conducted by an
instructor in that student’s training method,
initiating two intentional disorienting maneuvers [NW]...

My dz takes these to mean: until the "two intentional back to earth maneuvers", only instructors can conduct the ground training. Coaches can observe the jumps, just not train them for the jumps. As my IE put it, that's only practical if we have multiple students at a time on each jump, or if the instructor is injure or sick and has the coach go in the plane as a substitute. In normal situations, the person who trains them also goes on the jump; it's pretty fun that way.

You're doing it as BSRed. The thing it, I don't see why these Coaches can't learn to do the ground training as well. If they can observe the freefall, and debrief the thing...
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

angle228

There is a chart in the IRM titled "Student Skill and Knowledge Sets"(mine is the 2012-2013 version. I do not know if that is the most current or if the chart has changed since then.)

The left hand column on the chart indicates the jump numbers and supervision requirements.

Coach is not listed as a supervision option until 45 second delays. And at this is clarifies "S/L I until 45-sec. delays, then Coach" for the jump numbers says that this is between jumps 13-15.

I attached the chart

Wow, that seems odd, the 45 second delay part. All of my student jumps from a C-182 were less than 35 seconds, with our exits being 9,500 feet because of the 1200 MSL of the DZ.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

On 1/2/2015 at 4:58 PM, chuckakers said:

I'm no rocket surgeon, but that sounds like a coach can get in the act anytime beyond the first hop n pop. Do 10 second delays come after a single clear n pull?

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I guess it depends on what the specific DZs course is. After clear and pull out students have a 5 second delay to get them used to "coming off the hill" and to their Belly, then 2 10 sec freffalls tp introduce stabitlity. Then we send them out with a coach for 15 seconds and left and right turns and alti chexks etc. The way O understand it from Jay Stokes and Ron Bell is that students can be turned over to coaches as soon as they are cleared to pull for themselves. Before that the method specific training has to be done by an instructor.