EFS4LIFE

Suit for AFF

New AFF Instructor here. I am wondering if any other AFF-I's have recommendations (brands) for belly suits for AFF. I have always been a freefly guy and have a sweet Vertical suit for that purpose. I kinda stole an old Tony suit that was laying around the DZ for the course and it works great but was thinking of buying a new one in my colors and measurements. So hit me up with your 2 cents. Bev, Tony? Just interested in opinions on who has the best of these weird boogie things etc lol.
I am an asshole, but I am honest

EFS4LIFE

New AFF Instructor here. I am wondering if any other AFF-I's have recommendations (brands) for belly suits for AFF. I have always been a freefly guy and have a sweet Vertical suit for that purpose. I kinda stole an old Tony suit that was laying around the DZ for the course and it works great but was thinking of buying a new one in my colors and measurements. So hit me up with your 2 cents. Bev, Tony? Just interested in opinions on who has the best of these weird boogie things etc lol.

I have a Michigan suit that worked well for AFF. The only thing I ever had to do was put on a hoodie or something if I was jumping with a lightweight.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The way i looked at it, i like you am a free flier. I have far more jumps in an FF suit than an FS suit, therefore I'm happier instructing in my FF suit (was Boogieman now a Vertical suit). If I'm faced with a lighter student then i just hoodie it up and it works fine. Jump in what your used to and happy with, buy a set of bootie trousers (symbiosis suits) which are a nice half way house.
At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!

I use a Bev comp suit. You don't say how you fall (fast, slow, middle).
I have the Majic pleated booties, poly forearms and continuous swoop cords. I never need to add any clothing. If a slow student, I use the swoop cords, otherwise not. The pleated booties give your legs a lot more power, and AFF, when things get interesting, is all about flying with your legs.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

For me, the solution is suitS. Yep, most of the AFF-Is that I work with have at least two suits, of different speeds. I have three:

--A mid-range RW suit with big vented booties. I use this for both AFF and fun RW. As mentioned above by another poster... when things get interesting.... you will find yourself flying mostly with your legs.

--A BIG, SLOW, cotton poly suit with swoop cords and booties.

--A tight slick fast suit with booties.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I remember you from Couch Freaks, so these options will sound familiar, I have options:

1 - just my comp Skimmer suit, especially if it's in the middle of my RW range and I want the booties for POWER and response

2 - the Skimmer bootie pants - finding more tandem instructors use these, but a few AFFIs also. A bit more flexible and comfy and easier to don/doff

3 - most of the time I just wear my baggiest old FF pants and a long sleeve Tshirt or sweatshirt (hoodless) - I can get into and out of it fast, comfy to pack in on most days

4 - Or whatever I think I should use on that jump/day

short of it - I like a lot of fabric (shaped like booties, or sloppy like FF pants) at my legs so I have power and leverage.

asking about brands here is goofy - people advocate what they own and it opens silly stealth advertising from the usual trolls, find what YOU like and wear that - be open to anything depending on what you need to wear with each-specific-student

you have enough skill and experience to be an instructor now, you certainly have the ability to dress for success. I doubt you'll see anything in these responses that you don't already know.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

My apologies I should have asked a more specific question I guess.

First, I believe in having the right tools for the job and while I am sure plenty of instructors make due with their freefly suit and just throw on a baggy sweatshirt if needed I won't be doing that.

The advise on multiple suits seems solid. No problems taking that to heart and implementing a multiple suit purchase.

My main concern is in my limited experience with belly suits the booties always seem poorly designed. They slip off way too easily on exit or in freefall and don't hold up well over time. My Viper Vertical suit is freaking bombproof, and I am wanting the equivalent in a belly suit if possible. Now by my own admission I have mainly only used WELL used (old) stuff that was definitely not sized for me. It's is possible a suit designed for me specifically would display these issues.

Basically what I want input on is opinions on which brands have the most durable and best designed booties. I am experienced enough to make my own choices, but when making an expensive purchase like 2-3 jumpsuits it can be wise to get others opinions and previous experiences with their purchases.

EFS4LIFE

***Why do you need bootie??

I don't "need" booties. I want booties. See earlier comment about right tools for the job. I can close on a student faster and easier with them.

If you feel the most competent with booties, then absolutely you should have them.

In short - if you pick any builder and go with a "normal" full sized bootie (no gimmicks like vents or afterburners, just the simple blade from knee to toe, etc), and if they are fitted correctly and you take care of your suit, you'll find they do the job much better than wearing (used, or old, or worn suits) and your current experience with those. If you buy from a local, you might get a better delivery and followup service too. Bootie pants are a decent option, btw. A correct fit is a big deal.

I can send you a separate note if you like about the various manufacturers and personal opinions (I have positive points for all of them really) I have on each bootie and design - I've owned multiple brands (Skimmer, Michigan, Tony, Bev all are good, also owned a Hawk but she's not in business anymore - anything other, you'd have to ask me, there's about three more I've encountered and I'm not impressed, the rest, I don't know), the wife has had to resize and repair pretty much all of them for various customers, as well as builds her own, so we have a lot of info. From this point, I believe you will get comments either like stayhigh's (freefallers that don't like RW suits period), or people arguing over their favorite suitbuilder (same old advocacy threads you can find anywhere).

But to stayhigh's point - as you get more experience, you'll get more comfy working in most any outfit that at least gets you close to your customer's fall rate

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I guess to each there own..

I've seen AFFI at my weight doing fine without weight belt with super heavy guys, but I NEED weight belt once my student goes over 210.

Without my weight, plus baggy suit on my student on heavy dudes, I will not take em on a jump.

So I guess everyone has there own comfortable limits and standard when it comes to things.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

I've got multiple suits for different students - fast medium slow and I wear weights when I need them with the fast guys. Most belly suits around my area are Bev's and they fit great and work great. Any manufacturers suit which fits correctly would work too. Just if you order new - if it doesn't fit right - send it back immediately for fixes - most will fix right away for free but not after you jump it a while..

I've never had a bootie come off in free fall on any brand of suit ever...

stayhigh

I've seen AFFI at my weight doing fine without weight belt with super heavy guys, but I NEED weight belt once my student goes over 210.

Without my weight, plus baggy suit on my student on heavy dudes, I will not take em on a jump.

So I guess everyone has there own comfortable limits and standard when it comes to things.

I 100% agree with your post here

stayhigh

Touche'. I am the opposite. Fast isn't a problem. Slowing down with feather butts is. I have found booties to really help me maneuver when I am slow flying.

Oh well seems like it is too opinionated of a subject to get a handle on as far as which brand etc. Thanks for the input all.

For me, the solution is suitS. Yep, most of the AFF-Is that I work with have at least two suits, of different speeds. I have three:

Truth!

I've got a lot more than three suits, though....:ph34r:

I'm still a HUGE fan of doing "traditional" two-JM AFF in bootie suits because of the power they afford you on the hill. I've got a tight Michigan comp suit with spandex forearms for fast, big guys and I've got a less-tight Michigan comp suit that I generally use for swooping bigways that works great with lighter AFF students.

Still.......Where I work we train military clients and I make around 850 AFF-type jumps a year in freefly suits. Again: I've got a cut-off shorty that works great with heavy guys on release dives, a tight Boogyman Bionic for fast guys, a bigger Boogyman for lightweights, and an older and floppier LS for really small students.

Ultimately it's up to YOU to "dress for success" if you are going to be doing AFF work at your dropzone. For super-light students I've gone so far as to wear XL tandem suits. Don't be ashamed to pull something floppy off the rack of your school if the job calls for it. Seriously. Your buddies will understand.

Good luck and have fun! I LOVE doing AFF.

Chuck Blue, D-12501
AFF/SL/TM-I, MFFJM, MMPCI, S&TA, PRO
Coolidge, AZ

I haven't bought a new suit in 15 years. I just grab mine from vid 666's box of used jumpsuits. They are all real gross and have holes in them. I don't use booties, they are most useful for sliding out landings. If I get a real flyweight, I just grab a big baggy seventies Brand X thing off the student rack and rock it out.

Don't think too much, it makes your head hurt.