dantidote

Reserve too small?

riggerrob

***Sorry, I'm quite lost. Are we actually seeing an increase in "two-outs" especially since your post indicates AADs have gotten better and better.

.................................................................................

I was being sarcastic about the 30-year trend.
Before Cypres, hardly any licensed skydivers wore AADs and 2-out malfunctions were rare.
We saw a dramatic increase in 2-outs when Cypres was introduced (early 1990s).
However, 2-outs have decreased as skydivers have become more altitude-aware.

And we are about to repeat the cycle as the newer generation of AAD's with higher activiation altitudes become more mainstream;)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

nigel99

******Sorry, I'm quite lost. Are we actually seeing an increase in "two-outs" especially since your post indicates AADs have gotten better and better.

.................................................................................

I was being sarcastic about the 30-year trend.
Before Cypres, hardly any licensed skydivers wore AADs and 2-out malfunctions were rare.
We saw a dramatic increase in 2-outs when Cypres was introduced (early 1990s).
However, 2-outs have decreased as skydivers have become more altitude-aware.

And we are about to repeat the cycle as the newer generation of AAD's with higher activiation altitudes become more mainstream;)

POPS leaning back in their lawn chairs ... sipping lemonade and waiting for the lessons to begin.

When you get down into smaller main sizes it gets easier to downsize without changing your container because cross-braced canopies have much more material for a given size (if you decide to go really small) and because the absolute sizes of the canopy aren't changing that much, so it's easier to keep that larger reserve.

I have two rigs (mirages) one is an MT and one is an MX-1/2. The MT holds a PDR-126 very nicely (might be able to put an optimum 143 in there, haven't tried), and I've jumped it with a Sabre2 135 down to a Velo 90. That's an enormous range of downsizing in terms of performance and the number of jumps it requires as compared to, say, going from a 210 to a 190 to a 170 which would be more of a stretch for a rig (pun intended.) At no point did I feel compelled to get a rig with a smaller reserve.