jacked365

DZ's requiring jumpsuits?

I was recently looking at working full time for a few DZ's and one mentioned that I needed to buy a jumpsuit in their DZ colors in order to get into the work rotation. Quick math was showing that I would need to get pants for tandems and a camera jacket at least in their DZ colors. To do AFF they were even asking to have JM's in suits so that was looking at a third suit since I do it in my shorts and shirt now. DZ was offering to pass on the discount that they got from the jumpsuit maker but I am looking at several hundred dollars to a thousand dollars in gear just to get started and since its pretty specific colors I'm not sure next year I could jump the gear at other DZ's if I move on. Is this pretty common where you have to do a buy in to get the DZ's jumpsuits or is this one just different or is getting a cut off the suits? Could I deduct this if I get it for taxes?

jacked365

I was recently looking at working full time for a few DZ's and one mentioned that I needed to buy a jumpsuit in their DZ colors ...

If you have a choice of several DZs to work and only one of them requires a large investment to look like everyone else, then I think you have answered your own question.

If you itemize your tax deductions and they are all larger than the standard deduction, then yes, there will be a tax benefit available.

Care to name the DZ?

Some DZ's prefer their instructors look the part, and keep a professional appearance. For the most part they are far more successful (as are the instructors) because students want a polished product these days. The day of the "dirty toe'd" skydiver are coming to a close.

Since you're a contractor, if you're doing it right, all your gear is deductible, though I'd recommend talking to a tax professional about how.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Fairly common for the large DZs.

Most DZs that require this kind of thing the volume of students that you would be doing would overshadow the cost real fast. Where I jump what's required is a staff t-shirt.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

Saw this at a large DZ outside Houston. The new manager was "asking everyone" to purchase an expensive suit with their logo plastered all over it. If you find the shot of all these happy, lucky folks, only 2 of them still work there. Don't mind the uniform look. We can achieve that without the logos. If they insist on that, then I would insist they pay for the 1 place use uniform. Oh and funny how the manager got his for free.......

Just for a comparison...when I worked on motorcycles...the shop paid for our uniforms and laundry...not our hand tools.

When I worked jumping I always worked as a sub...no required uniforms for video...I think the school paid for the instructors jumpsuits...that was a few years ago. YMMV

hangdiver

"Mans got to know his limitations"
Harry Callahan

The great majority of dropzones I've worked at all had staff shirts that instructors/staff were required to wear when on the job. I've also worked at dropzones that "preferred" that all full-time staff got a staff suit (at a steep discount). One of them provided a free staff suit after one full season of employment.

Whatever, man. Ultimately, if you are a 1099 employee then you are going to be writing off whatever gear you buy as business expenses anyway.

Chuck

peek

If you itemize your tax deductions and they are all larger than the standard deduction, then yes, there will be a tax benefit available.

Actually my itemized deductions are less than the standard, but my skydiving income is a 1099 form as a contractor. All my expenses are deducted from that before getting counted as income. At least that what it appears my accountant does. :)

JohnMitchell

***If you itemize your tax deductions and they are all larger than the standard deduction, then yes, there will be a tax benefit available.

Actually my itemized deductions are less than the standard, but my skydiving income is a 1099 form as a contractor. All my expenses are deducted from that before getting counted as income. At least that what it appears my accountant does. :)
Thanks for the correction. Disclaimer: Ask your accountant, don't listen to Peek.

I worked at DZ that made staff jumpsuits mandatory. I ordered in March before the season started, and by the time it was ready, it had to be mailed to me in another country.

In the meantime, one of the local rigg-ettes ordered a bunch of embroidered panels and sewed them on to cut-off Dickies with some trim to make DZ shorts for the TIs. Management was happy, and TIs were happy that it only cost $35 a pair.

Good luck.