Gary73

Proposed Change to ISP

For all its virtues, it seems to me that the ISP ignores a critical aspect of the learning process: time. Many, if not most students string their training out over weeks or months. As a result, when they go up for a jump, it's often been quite a while since their last thorough review. It seems to me that a review of basics should precede the first jump every day, regardless of what level they're doing. If the student knows the material, it will only take 5 - 10 minutes, and if they don't know the material, then they needed the review, regardless of the amount of time it takes. Here's what we cover each morning:

First-Jump-Each-Day Review Checklist

Student:
Sinuses, medications, blood donation, dental work, scuba

Freefall:
Unstable exit
Loss of Instructors (Pull vs. AIR, Roll out of bed, 5-second rule)
In cloud in freefall
In cloud at pull time
Lost/broken/unreadable altimeter
Pull priorities:
Pull
Pull at planned altitude
Pull at planned altitude while stable
Pull reasons:
Pull altitude
JM gives pull signal
JM pulls

Equipment Emergencies: (use training harness)
Trouble finding main handle
Square, stable, steerable
Controllability check
Nuisance vs. malfunction
Common nuisances, multiple nuisances
Decision altitude
Reserve-only altitude
Total/partial/horseshoe malfunctions

Canopy/Landing:
In cloud
Distance from other canopies
Collision avoidance
Turbulence
Accuracy trick
Landing priorities:
straight ahead (wing level)
open area
follow landing pattern
flare at 10 - 12 feet
prepare for PLF
into the wind
Off-field-landing priorities and procedures
Drag prevention and recovery

We then cover other need-to-know things like hand signals before every jump, as well as the level-specific things:

Every-Jump Checklist

Ground Prep:
Logbook
Hand signals (all!)
Do review items, new material, and TLOs from AFF/TP section
Watch video
Practice dive flow

Winds aloft, surface wind, landing pattern
Fill out Canopy Flight page in logbook

Wing loading / rig choice
Gear check

Manifest

15- or 20-Minute Call:
Gear up
Dive flow in full gear
Student and Instructor(s): SHAGGRR
Instructor: JMPI before boarding

On Plane:
Before takeoff: Seatbelt, helmet, all altimeters on zero
Landing pattern (everyone)
1,000’: Seatbelt off, check handles, helmet through chest strap
Pull altitude: Student: pretend W.O. and pull, cross-check altimeters
Instructor: JMPI and radio check
Dive flow
Hand signals (all!)
Playground
Canopy TLOs
Landing pattern
10,000’ : Goggles and helmet on and adjusted
12,000’ : Check of 3s: 3 handles, 3 buckles, 3 rings
Cross-check altimeters
Jumpsuit zipped up
Instructor: “Are you ready to skydive?”

Then, after AFF is completed, we do the reviews on the two-page A-license form.

So anyway, what I'm proposing is that instead of tying specific reviews to specific Categories, we require a thorough review before the first jump each day, regardless of level. Thoughts?

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

I don't know about the ISP ... but having handy little summaries of things to know or review sure are handy around the DZ. Not something every DZ has. Checklists are very useful for instructors too and not just students. Nice job.

If one wants to be picky, there are those cases where what the student should know may vary by jump level. That could include Loss of Instructors or other things that a student should be taught sometime, but might be glossed over or omitted on the first couple jumps to avoid overwhelming them. Still it can work with your list -- an instructor might look at the Loss of Instructors entry and tailor his expectations to the student's level.

an instructor might look at the Loss of Instructors entry and tailor his expectations to the student's level.

Right. There's also a lot of level-specific stuff that isn't listed. These are just the Instructor's and student's generic checklists.

Gary,

Nice checklist. Before EVERY day of jumping in the military, we do a complete review of training to include EP's. Keeps it fresh in your mind, especially not having jumped in a few months. It's like Safety Day everyday! It can be done at civilian DZ's, it just takes time to do it!
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Good plan.
When I worked at a British Army Parachute Association dominated DZ., we did refresher training every morning.

At other DZs I tended to take "returning" students for a walk around the landing field while we discussed wind-socks, landing patterns and a casual review of level-specific skills. If they gave me a string of correct answers: great! If they missed any of my questions, we did a far-more-detailed review.

There was a fatality in Quebec recently where the "student" went 29 days between jumps ... 29 days between jumps ... 29 days between jumps ... 29 days between jumps ...

Bottom line: meeting minimum refresher training requirements does not keep junior jumpers alive.

I think that's a good idea but I don't know if we have to actually put it in the ISP. Are there any DZ's out there that DON'T require a review after a significant amount of time away from the student program? All that I have worked at have a graduated system - if last jump was yesterday then the pre-jump review (done during walkthrough) is sufficient, if it's been two weeks a 20 minute retrain, if it's six months an abbreviated (or full) FJC.

Im confused. What are you proposing to change? Add your check list?
I looked threw your list and as far as i knew i was suppose to cover all those things on your list for every level. This is why I am confused.I thought your list was in play in a way i guess.
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

Bill, Yes, most DZs require some kind of refresher training, but standards vary for both the time delay and the extent of training. Most seem to leave it to the Instructors, most of whom just kind of wing it, since they lack a formal list.

Ozzy, Glad to hear that your students are already getting all of this! Unfortunately that's more the exception than the rule.

Part of what I'd like to accomplish with this is to increase the number of reviews, especially for nuisance/malfunction training in a practice harness and canopy essentials. ISP only calls for two reviews after the FJC. From what I've seen of student retention of EPs and such, that's just not enough. I sincerely believe that every student should review all these items every day, not just at specific levels or after long gaps.

Another thing is to standardize best practices so that every Instructor has a specific list of review items. The lazy Instructors with money-grubbing DZOs will continue to ignore such practices, but at least they'll be out there for those who actually care. And maybe having them be part of the official USPA program will give good Instructors at mediocre dropzones some of the ammunition they need to push things in the right direction.

I dont speak english or spell very well so bare with me,
EACH time a student lands as even we do, they go through a biochemical shift, new to the sport ,, if its a crow's wing,, like bad jump one after another, they just don't get it. When they see and speak review with instructor that shift and rashenal navigates with that recall and memory. Making a mind stronger has everything to do with telling it.
parking the plane behind them at shady performce review time might not massage that brain, under the situ, finding submental solutions at this point and time is a good idea, an instructor needs to be a brain surgeon about this, and the rules need to sector in on progression issues.

AaronComp

I dont speak english or spell very well so bare with me,
EACH time a student lands as even we do, they go through a biochemical shift, new to the sport ,, if its a crow's wing,, like bad jump one after another, they just don't get it. When they see and speak review with instructor that shift and rashenal navigates with that recall and memory. Making a mind stronger has everything to do with telling it.
parking the plane behind them at shady performce review time might not massage that brain, under the situ, finding submental solutions at this point and time is a good idea, an instructor needs to be a brain surgeon about this, and the rules need to sector in on progression issues.

I don't understand any of this :D.... But oddly, I understand what I think you mean :)
I only know one language. Just because that didn't translate well, I am impressed that you can write that.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto