jimmurt

Renewing coach rating

On the USPA rating renewal form underneath the coach, AFF, SL, IAD & tandem boxes, there is:

All USPA inst. rating holders (including coaches): Within the last year, I have participated in a Rating Renewal Seminar (defined in the SIM Glossary) at..............on...........

The way I'm reading it, this seems to be mandatory for the renewal. But, according to the IRM section 1G (Coach part), it says you need either:

1. Rating was earned within the last 12 months

OR

2. 1 FJC taught assisted plus 15 coach jumps in last 12 months

OR

3. Completed renewal requirements for an expired coach rating

My initial rating was in the last 12 months. I fall short on req 2 and haven't done 3. Am I ok to get the rating renewed based on req 1 alone?

The IRM would suggest that I can but like I said the form can be interpreted to mean that I have to have the seminar as well.

Also, do I need to send in the documentation along with the form or do I just show it to the I/E who is going to sign my form.

Just want to be clear before I apply. I won't be seeing any instructors or I/Es at my DZ for a couple of weeks.

No need to send supporting data to USPA. As long as the person signing your form is satisfied you are good to go.

If your rating is
Whether you need a RRS or not, is not crystal clear to me.... but it is VERY easy to do. The definition is so slippery that virtually any group of instructors or coaches discussing instruction (for any length of time; with or without :D) could be defined as a RRS.

"RATING RENEWAL SEMINAR, USPA: A meeting of USPA instructional rating holders to exchange information, introduce and discuss new ideas, and to develop, improve, or assure the quality of skydiving instruction."

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!