nigel99

Teaching flat turns

Sounds like I basically agree with you. I just want to emphasize that the best "true flat" turn does not start from prolonged braked flight, one that is long enough to settle the canopy in a steady state.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

SethInMI

Sounds like I basically agree with you. I just want to emphasize that the best "true flat" turn does not start from prolonged braked flight, one that is long enough to settle the canopy in a steady state.

Absolutely! The whole point of this is avoidance, whether it be collision or obstacle, and we need to act quickly, not after "settling in".

If I gave the impression to go to brake, wait, then turn...I was not clear.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I fly my pattern using flat turns so I get at least a couple of practices every jump. They are slow, predictable turns so they are well suited to flying in the pattern.

Really?

So remind me "DocPop", at what DZ you are on every jump you do - doing this, so I can avoid you/it, accordingly.

airtwardo: TELLING someone on the internet that it's okay to do it, is reckless & irresponsible - don't do that, you're gonna get somebody with less experience hurt badly.

Thanks Jim, you beat me to it!
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Scrumpot

I fly my pattern using flat turns so I get at least a couple of practices every jump. They are slow, predictable turns so they are well suited to flying in the pattern.

Really?

So remind me "DocPop", at what DZ you are on every jump you do - doing this, so I can avoid you/it, accordingly.

C'mon then...let's hear it. What reason do you have to want to avoid someone making predictable turns?

Let me guess - I am going to cause a backlog in traffic? Nope. Doesn't happen. I am not flying the entire pattern in deep brakes. I am just making the turns flat.

Skydive Midwest, Wisconsin but I have also jumped in Dubai, Eloy, SDC, CSC, South Africa and Europe so you had better stick to some small Cessna DZs and even then I might find ya!
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

milehigheric

"Predictable", in my opinion means flying at a consistent speed and performing expected maneuvers at an expected time. Flat turns in the pattern are usually none of those and could easily cause issues to canopy's behind and above you IMO.

Absolute rubbish. Flat turns are involve a slow change in direction and, by definition, are non-diving. There is no reason why they should be unexpected, nor why they should not be performed at an expected time or place.

You'd prefer someone just buried a toggle, I suppose?

Modern canopy instruction teaches flying a pattern in a small amount of brakes (no, not deep brakes and no, not on final) to give you the option to both speed up and slow down. Performing turns as flat turns is an extension of that and can be performed without a dramatic alteration in forward speed.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA