rustywardlow

Should Aff Instructors also have a Canopy coach rating or higher.

popsjumper

When the jump was prepping, the AFFI told him to fly a pattern that, at the time, would have been a downwinder. The student pointed out the chart AND noted the winds by observation.
The AFFI says, "I don't go by the4m charts. I don't even know how to read it."
Student says, "Let me show you. These numbers right here mean....."

True story.

How on earth does someone like that get a rating AND keep it?
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

devildog

When the jump was prepping, the AFFI told him to fly a pattern that, at the time, would have been a downwinder. The student pointed out the chart AND noted the winds by observation.

True story.

AHA!
Because knowledge is not a requirement for an AFF rating.

Requirements:
Fly and properly regurgitate two ISP category ground preps as only that AFFCD wants.

But you already knew all that...
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

popsjumper

True story.

AHA!
Because knowledge is not a requirement for an AFF rating.

Requirements:
Fly and properly regurgitate two ISP category ground preps as only that AFFCD wants.

But you already knew all that...
I can begrudgingly see how you could get by the tests and what not, but once at the DZ, it baffles me that someone in charge wouldn't know (or be informed of the fact) that one of their AFFIs that's suppose to be teaching first time jumpers can't even read the wind chart.
You stop breathing for a few minutes and everyone jumps to conclusions.

robinheid

a fatally flawed system that is pedagogically psychotic and thus fundamentally incapable of providing

see....now I have to go find a dictionary before developing a position on it

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I can begrudgingly see how you could get by the tests and what not, but once at the DZ, it baffles me that someone in charge wouldn't know (or be informed of the fact) that one of their AFFIs that's suppose to be teaching first time jumpers can't even read the wind chart.
Once you get out and about, you'll find that not all DZs operate the same.
- knowing is one thing, taking action against is another
- some AFFIs won't do FJC...just jumps, no knowledge required.
- some DZs allow that.
- never mind the good-old-boy network
- and yes paperwork can be pencil-whipped

In my travels, I have taken the initiative to observe FJCs at each DZ at least once, well, there has been two exceptions to that. I've seen some really off-the-way crap.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've seen some really off-the-way crap.

+ 1. Some people should not have the ratings, as they would fail the most basic instructors courses.

I've actually interfered and taken over a course where the instruction was so bad...in this case it was easy....Where the class showed up at 8 a.m. to complete EP training and the instructor didn't show up till 1 p.m. looking like a bag of shit.

The only time I really wanted to punch someones lights out.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

popsjumper

In my travels, I have taken the initiative to observe FJCs at each DZ at least once, well, there has been two exceptions to that. I've seen some really off-the-way crap.

2 comments,
1) Most of the AFF instructors I have worked with have been stellar pros. Some assholes and some idiots, but that is in every industry.

2) you have been one of the loudest vocal people on the internet complaining about current AFF instructors, but I challenge you back, what have you done to fix it? You say you have traveled to many drop zones, taking the time to observe their operations and judge them poorly, have you ever thought about offering continuing education like Brian Germain does, not regulated by anybody but just respected as an expert individual? Have you made YouTube videos on proper instruction techniques? have you participated in the standardization meetings for AFF evaluations? Every instructor that you see screwing up in your mind, do you tried to approach them with constructive criticism that they will accept because of the tone and the method in which delivered?

We can't expect the USPA to regulate and do everything for us, nor would that be the best thing, big government never works. We have to do what is right for our students as instructors, either as hobbyists or professionals, and invest in our own success and sport.

tdog

1) Most of the AFF instructors I have worked with have been stellar pros. Some assholes and some idiots, but that is in every industry.

True. Still no excuse.

Yes.

and...to address this:
"...do you tried to approach them with constructive criticism..."
Yes. Rarely has anyone elected to even investigate where or how they could improve. We all know, "my way is best", right?
:S

I'm shooting for the big picture, not the apples on the ground.

Do you disagree that the current AFFIC is deficient?
Do you disagree that it can be improved to be more effective?

We can't expect the USPA to regulate and do everything for us, nor would that be the best thing, big government never works.

Improving the AFFIC does not involve new regulations...I have no idea where you got that from.

Yep, we do what we can.
USPA could do a lot, lot more than any of us could possibly do. Do you disagree with that? Would you have us continue stumbling along as is and not shoot for improvement? I don't believe you think that.

We have to do what is right for our students

Exactly! So why are you being so negative towards the idea of improving the AFFIC? Do you not think that would be a major step in producing better instructors...and students?

And finally...we no longer need a rush/push-through training program.

We need quality...the big picture.

I opened a thread to discuss AFF course improvements. Let's take that stuff over there and leave this one to the CC question, eh?
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=4522453;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread