steveorino

WTH?

I have over 3200 jumps and 1700 have been a tandem out of a Cessna DZ. This weekend I had a first. Big (6'2" - 210lbs) guy that went fetal on exit. I threw drogue as we planed out and it started to spin me on my side -- getting faster and faster. I "thought" I accidentally wrapped his foot on the drogue,so I fired the reserve trying avoid a horseshoe. But if felt like a side spin. Again, I "thought" a side-spin doesn't happen under a drogue (flat-spin, yes; side spin, no) I cleared the drogue from the reserve and landed uneventful. Can you be in a side spin with drogue out?

steveOrino

"... Can you be in a side spin with drogue out?"

No!
But you can get into a violent flat spin.
Tightening side straps helps, but .... sooner or later a student is going to spin you.
Welcome to the club!

Hey Brother.... Visited with Bob last night and no matter what others say; sounds like you did the right thing and kept you & the student alive. Good Job, man. Be out to visit soon. Keith
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.