SecondRound

What will make me a better Student

As a new student, I am very interested in hearing what Instructors and Coaches have to say about ways I as a student can can the maximum learning value from each jump as I progress to an "A" license. I have looked at the goals and dive flows in the SIM and what I would like to hear are the added things I can do to support my learning. At the same time, I realize that too much advance information may either confuse me or lead me astray. Maybe I am over thinking things, but I am getting antsy waiting for the season to get in full swing here in the frozen, now muddy North.
If this is not the proper forum to post this I apologise and will move it.

I realize that too much advance information may either confuse me or lead me astray

That's a good thought for starters. There are several different ways to do most things in skydiving, and when it comes to student training, each DZ has their own preferred methods. If you read up and 'attach yourself' to one method that your local DZ does not use, you're forced to 'relearn' that skill.

Otherwise, make sure that you fully understand the material you're being taught. There's no shame in asking questions or not understanding what you're being told, it's far worse to step out of an airplane with a full understanding (in your mind) of the situation.

Besides that, you can't really say one way or the other how you could be 'better' without having made a jump. Go in with the right attitude, and you've done all you can before hand. Maybe after your first jump and debrief, you can have a 'sidebar' with your instructor and ask if they have any tips on your performance as a 'student', but right now nobody knows for sure how you'll do.

Who knows, you might turn out to be a model student.

I think there is a lot of stuff you can learn that won't get in the way of your instruction when it starts, and much of it on the internet. Learning about gear/equipment (terminology, names of parts and devices, how they work, etc), an overview of packing, types of malfunctions, basic airplane safety, key FAA regulations applicable to skydiving (cloud clearances, seatbelts, etc), and many of the BSR's in the SIM. In fact, start reading the SIM. (you can download a PDF version at the USPA website).

Also, from the USPA web site, there is an "Online Ground School".
http://skydiveschool.org/
I only briefly scanned it, but it seems like it covers things pretty well.

I think there is a lot of stuff you can learn that won't get in the way of your instruction when it starts, and much of it on the internet. Learning about gear/equipment (terminology, names of parts and devices, how they work, etc), an overview of packing, types of malfunctions, basic airplane safety, key FAA regulations applicable to skydiving (cloud clearances, seatbelts, etc), and many of the BSR's in the SIM. In fact, start reading the SIM. (you can download a PDF version at the USPA website).

Also, from the USPA web site, there is an "Online Ground School".
http://skydiveschool.org/
I only briefly scanned it, but it seems like it covers things pretty well.

+1
Refresh your memory....over and over again.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

While not an instructor, one thing that I learned as a student was to be proactive and take the initiative, (once on solo status).

You might have all week to prepare for your next 2 or 3 jumps, use that time wisely. Read the SIM section that you are working on. Look at your license progression card and see what you need to get signed off on. Set goals for your progression. I always tried to find something that I could practice under canopy and get signed off, in addition to the freefall sign offs.

Follow your instructor’s lead. But if your instructor is not actively guiding you to get everything signed off on your progression card, you might want to ask, “Which of these do you think I need to work on now? Or, how can I get these signed off”

If you can’t jump because of wind or weather and you are at the DZ, look for help learning the gear, packing, doing SIM section review tests, etc. Be "studious".
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

what I would like to hear are the added things I can do to support my learning. At the same time, I realize that too much advance information may either confuse me or lead me astray.

Focus first on the things you can do to help save your life when things go south.

- Emergency Procedures: Read bout them, study them, read and study them again...and again, and again until you know them like the back of your hand.

- Practice your EPs: Practice them some more....now go practice some more until you can perform in your sleep with your eyes closed AND with one hand tied behind your back (not a joke).

- Equipment knowledge: Know every component...what it is, what it's designed to do, what it actually does, why it's there, what to do if it fails....
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Focus first on the things you can do to help save your life when things go south.

- Emergency Procedures: Read bout them, study them, read and study them again...and again, and again until you know them like the back of your hand.

- Practice your EPs: Practice them some more....now go practice some more until you can perform in your sleep with your eyes closed AND with one hand tied behind your back (not a joke).

- Equipment knowledge: Know every component...what it is, what it's designed to do, what it actually does, why it's there, what to do if it fails....

PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, and then some more PLF's. Some day you'll thank me. :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Learning how to skydive is not physically difficult but certainly is a mental challenge and I would say requires two very specific things: Commitment and Faith.

As for the commitment part - set a goal and stick to it. And when you get in the door of the airplane, be totally committed to the next 5-6 minutes.

As for faith - have faith in your equipment, faith in your instructor(s), and most importantly - have faith in yourself. Having said that, practice your emergency procedures and have faith in them as well. If after time you find it difficult to maintain faith in any one of the above, make a change.

I hope I can thank you personally some day. I am set up for a Friday Tandem then a Saturday static line FJC at Wissota. Once I get my A card and feel like I can jump in larger groups without being "that guy" I plan on jumping weekdays at Baldwin
thanks for the encouragement.

-

PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, PLF's, and then some more PLF's. Some day you'll thank me. :)

I hope I can thank you personally some day. I am set up for a Friday Tandem then a Saturday static line FJC at Wissota. Once I get my A card and feel like I can jump in larger groups without being "that guy" I plan on jumping weekdays at Baldwin
thanks for the encouragement.

Weather may not be your friend this week. Looks like Wissota's runway will be an issue? Baldwin has already pushed back opening day???? But, good luck whenever you do start up. Look me up when you get to Baldwin. B|

Edited to add... Have fun at Wissota! It's one of the funest DZ's around. Great folks there! :)
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

:S
The subject just gets me. LOL.

Ask your instructor the following questions:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=412173;sb=post_replies;so=DESC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

and this should keep you busy for a while....
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.