baronn

The same DZ's are always looking for help each year......

Always exceptions to the rule. And "Comfortable living" Can be very relative indeed. DZ's that are outside the US and have a higher capital base seem to reward better. If I wasn't anchored here with my pets, I would definitely be going overseas.

You are never going to be able to make a real living as a migrant worker.

Are you sure about that? I made a comfortable living at my last Dz full time and I most definitely make a good living now at my current dz, just throwing drogues and shooting video...

Glad you are happy where you are. I want to emphasize again that I mean no disrespect to full-time skydivers. That is hard, physical work for, in most cases, not a lot of pay. There may be some DZ's that pay a living wage. I suspect, however, that for most folks, skydiving instruction is not a great long-term career path.

I have tended to find myself with two jobs when i was younger in the military. Go to work during the day and stock groceries or other odd jobs in the evenings. I always enjoyed the job more when I knew I could tell the boss to kiss my ass and still be able to pay my bills afterwards.
The same with skydiving. It's so much more enjoyable when you know that the week long weather event isnt going to keep you from eating. Or passing off the hot chick to the newb instructor because though she is hot you are tired or want to get on the tracking dive. So yeh, its best to supplement skydiving income.

And here we go again. A large DZ is looking for help saying that they do 10k a year in Tandems. The ad is for a Video person. What they fail to mention is, as a video person you MIGHT make .05% of those jumps. If you're really lucky. That's 500. In a year. Sitting around the DZ almost every single day. Almost every person in the picture you see is no longer there.

So my question is who are you and how would you know? Most large DZ's have a regular turnover in staff as it's kind of the nature and the attraction of the business.

Caveat emptor.

Being a video only is going to limit someone in this industry, being able to do any and all jobs is what makes one succeed. I've been doing this for almost 15 years now and have yet to fall under a 1000 jump a year average.

You get out of it, what you put in. Show up on time, don't turn your nose up at work, treat it like the job it is, don't be a deadbeat, drunk, or druggie.

In this industry you're a contracter, essentially a one man/woman business. Act accordingly. Have a product your client (the DZ) wants more of. I've got it wrong before, and I've got it right some of the time. But don't come off entitled to something.

Oh, and what's you real D-number, because I'm pretty sure you're not Becky....
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

If your are really going to make it in this biz, first 500 videos a season is not that bad... now it would be best to have many hats to wear... for example I sport the following ratings/hats, Coach, Jumpmaster, SL-I, IAD-I, TDM-I, AFF-I, PRO, Sr. Rigger, LO, AC MX, fuel guy, manifest, dz manger, turd herder, trash man, grounds keeper, bar tender, phone answering, shuttle driver, packer, radio guy, cook, general flunky.... with well over 30+ yrs exp.

One rating or video only is a dime a dozen and you can't compete with someone like me if all you got to bring to the table is one hat. I will get most your work or the others like me will get and you will get the table scraps.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I agree with your sentiment and posts as far as dz's go...New instructors every year. How about a dz that got rid of a world class AFF school guy and advertises come jump with our new AFF instructors, look they have tits and are good looking. Now I am all for female, good looking AFF instructors but to advertise that that is what your staff is made of while the guy down the street advertises instructors with thousands of jumps and experience...you gotta wonder who is doing the marketing...a pervert????
tom #90 #54 #08 and now #5 with a Bronze :-)

I agree with your sentiment and posts as far as dz's go...New instructors every year. How about a dz that got rid of a world class AFF school guy and advertises come jump with our new AFF instructors, look they have tits and are good looking. Now I am all for female, good looking AFF instructors but to advertise that that is what your staff is made of while the guy down the street advertises instructors with thousands of jumps and experience...you gotta wonder who is doing the marketing...a pervert????

Sex sells.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You are never going to be able to make a real living as a migrant worker.

Are you sure about that? I made a comfortable living at my last Dz full time and I most definitely make a good living now at my current dz, just throwing drogues and shooting video...

And when you turn 62 and are looking at retirement bennifits, health insurance options, cashing in IRA's, etc, etc, will it all look the same? :o

Although, there really is no guarantees in any business, is there? [:/]
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

NEEDED NOW new
Posted on Thu Feb 07 2013 by: Joe (skydivedzo) All user's Ads
Price:

Description
Strong Tandem and AFF Instructors needed Now. Full time not just a seasonal position.

Hey here's a winner of an ad...
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

And when you turn 62 and are looking at retirement benefits, health insurance options, cashing in IRA's, etc, etc, will it all look the same? :o

Although, there really is no guarantees in any business, is there? [:/]

I figured out LONG ago that stuff was up to me anyway...and have funded for retirement since my early 20's.

10% every paycheck period, if ya can't live on what's left - do something that pays more! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I enjoy reading your posts Lepka they always seam well balanced.
I always find it interesting to hear DZO's complaining about instructors and Instructors complaining about dzo's. It is quite often the same story, and probably with justification on both parts.
This is a business relationship, the owners have invested a great deal true. The instructors have also invested a great deal as well. Not to mention that with out instructors owners would never get a return on the investment, and with out owners instructors would never have anyone to teach.
So the bottom line is if your a shit owner you will probably have a hard time keeping staff, and conversely if you are a shit instructor you will probably have a hard time finding work!