andym148

Instructor or student

Probably the friend/s.o/other instructor first as I might not remember if they use an AAD (or if it's on). The student has one and it's on and it will fire at a higher altitude than the one that the other person might have.

No, it should fire at about the same altitude.

Expert Cypres vs. student Cypres out of the box would be 225 meters vs 300 meters.

http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=94&lang=en

I'm with Mitchell on two things -

1 - Since I'm to pull at 2K no matter what, then I consider 225 and 300 meters to be 'the same' in terms of being smart when trying to save anyone

2 - I doubt that there are any scenarios where I'd even realize the other instructor was unconscious. So the question is interesting for discussion, but I don't think applicable to reality

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Probably the friend/s.o/other instructor first as I might not remember if they use an AAD (or if it's on). The student has one and it's on and it will fire at a higher altitude than the one that the other person might have.

No, it should fire at about the same altitude.

Expert Cypres vs. student Cypres out of the box would be 225 meters vs 300 meters.

http://www.cypres.cc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=94&lang=en

This link is a little ambiguous but since it gives a split activation altitude as below:

Special Settings:

Activation speed: >29 mph (13 m/s)
Activation altitudes: 750/1,000 feet (225/300 meters)

I believe it would still not active until 750 ft. at terminal speeds and the higher activation height is for partial malfunction situations.

For some reason my computer is not letting me look at the manual, so I can't confirm that is consistent but it is what I remember.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

When all else fails, RTFM

It activates the release unit when it detects a rate
of descent higher than 29 mph (13 meters per second).

The activation altitude is split.

In the case of rate of descent being approx. that of free fall, the opening altitude is at approx. 750 feet (the same as with Expert CYPRES).

However, should the rate of descent be lower than that of freefall but still above the limit of 29 mph (e.g. with partially opened canopy, or after a cutaway), then Student CYPRES activates the release unit when the altitude falls below approx. 1000 feet (approx. 300
meters) above ground level.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

When all else fails, RTFM

Ah, yes. Slightly embarrassing mistake but I seem to be in good company ;).

...cool...1 down 9 zillion others to go.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

This is totally not a childish question, it's rather well-known, but nevertheless quite extensively studied in psychology in general and on law faculties in particular.

Have you seen the movie: "Happyness???"

Are you the one using your own ? ?" GLUE" ? to stick your favorite pictures to the wall???

Please enlighten us with some of this Well studied research???

I await some citations and or links to this research, your the one who has opened your mouth on this subject, now prove it!
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

Well, I meant the "Trolley problem". One interesting discussion is presented in this lecture by Michael Sandel in Harvard which I enjoyed https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBdfcR-8hEY

EXCELLENT DUDE!!! B|

This little cunundrum shows up in many forms, the boat adrift, the stealing pills to save your wife, (from the pharmacy,) etc,.

I take back everything I said...

Well perhaps not the bit about my ex wife! The good news is, is the other person lives!

Actually the point of these and other questions is to promote debate and examine your inner self. Typically this type of questioning in this day and age requires permission from some ethics board or such. And or takes place at a touchy feeleely seminar or similar. Except for the poor slobs thru history and many welfare moms, etc., I pray that we could put and end to these all too real life events that this question implies.

I personally wont fly over the Andes again, especially with a soccer team. Watch the Happyness movie, it's fun!!

Seriously,...Good job!
C
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

When we discussed this question it did prompt some debate between us, some good some errr bad!

Personally we both always have AAD's on (except the one time i borrowed someones rig...yes it cost me a crate of beer and a stern look from her! :o), and wear full face helmets.
So the chances of things happening like posed in the initial question are slim, but not out of the realms of possibility. Personally i hope i'm never put in that position, but thanks to everyone for their input.

At long last the light at the end of the tunell isnt an on coming train!!!