wadebaird

Static Line with Hand Deploy PC

Right now our DZ uses static line with Rip cords and spring loaded pilot chutes. Our new Vector rigs have an option to do SL with hand deploy PCs. From a logistical standpoint this seems a little better to me as it is easier to pack as well as teaches the students to use hand deploy PCs and they won't have to transition.

Is there anyone out there that is familiar with this type of setup?

(Please don't distract this by saying switch to AFF or IAD ;) )

Thanks!

We use WDI paper made into a slightly larger then PVC sized ball with a tail coming off of it. I don't have any here to take a photo of for you. But the system works really well and I think you'll like if you've done direct bag or PCA with spring loaded pc's before.

This set up really is the way to go because your not limited to one method of progression. I'm AFF, SL, IAD & TDM I rated. So with a rig set up like this I can do all all three solo progressions without additional training of someone walking in from another dz who trained via one type and to set up the rig for that type of progression jump only take seconds to do and is rigger friendly.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

We did that for one season with less than great results. The biggest problem we had was the D-bags hitting the students' left arm as they reached for the PC with their right. This was with a direct bag system and perhaps would work better with a PC assist system. Our clients (British military) suggested tat a higher strong point might help. We were using the co-pilot's left seatbelt point on a 206. We returned to an IAD and BOC PC system the next year with much better results.
For practice pilot chute tosses we used a parapack covered foam dildo that had an ~12 inch bungee tail with a short stiffened piece at the end, and a regular PC handle on the other end. We had sewn an elastic holder type loop on the right leg strap and double wrapped the rubber around the stiffener. The dildo just hung harmlessly from the leg strap after the student tossed it, but the idea was that if there was ever an entanglement issue it would easily be pulled off (the theory was never tested). The only trouble we ever had was some gorilla threw it so hard once it came off and we lost one. Other than that they have worked for years.

What do you do about PRCPs? What do you use that they can throw away yet not pollute all over the place? I was thinking of some sort of tissue paper type thing that bio degrades.

We use newspaper, really cheep, easily obtainable, and biodegradable in 1 to 3 months depending on climate. I wad one sheet into a ball for the handle, then wrap in two sheets for the tail. I tie it off with a packing band. If you're concerned biodegradability, maybe go with something other than a rubber band? Cotton string should degrade in less than a year.
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

Hey Andrew, They've gone back to good old paper in the BOC for practice pulls.... Been that way for the last 4 years.

Probably after they threw away all the orange nylon dummies that sewed for them!
Hah!
Hah!
Ron Dionne (of Campbell River) deserves the credit for inventing that dummy pilot-chute.

Hey Andrew, They've gone back to good old paper in the BOC for practice pulls.... Been that way for the last 4 years.

Probably after they threw away all the orange nylon dummies that sewed for them!
Hah!
Hah!
Ron Dionne (of Campbell River) deserves the credit for inventing that dummy pilot-chute.

The bungies were just a little short for the vigorous throws of some of the sqaddies. Too bad as they were a great learning tool on the ground and a garbage saver in the air.