sky4meplease

paraplegic aff

I jumped tandem with a gentleman a couple of weeks ago in West Michigan who is paralyzed from the chest down and after the jump he asked if he could jump solo.

I am wondering where he can go since we are not have an AFF program.

Somewhere in the tri-state area would be nice.

I did try to search the forums but everything I found was dated and nothing at USPA website.

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
Overkill is under rated.

No way would I take him out on a LV 1 AFF. The only way I would consider it was if he was able show in a tunnel he could do it. And doubt that he could, you have to be able to arch and then what do you with the legs flopping around in the breeze? Do you add on some kind of leg braces?

Also how you going to do the exit? What kind of AC? Who is going to be strong enough to carry or pick him up to exit?

Lots of shit to consider here and the fact that anyone who has been in that condition very long can break bones really easy.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Here's a video of one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdZo3363XFs

Not sure how they got that far. And can't figure out what is keeping his legs in place. For landing he has straps holding up his legs for a butt landing.

One note says something like welcome back to the sport. May have been experienced before injury.

More discussion.
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=1238368;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

More info
http://www.jagworksdesign.com/Adaptive-Skydiving/PDF/Adaptive_Skydive_Manual.pdf
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

The only way I would consider it was if he was able show in a tunnel he could do it.

It sure does take a lot of work.
Like 'gimpboogie' on here who got her Canadian Solo license, but it took her a lot of jumps. (Other health issues have kept her from jumping this year. She wrote a lot in the disabilities forum but the info is scattered among a bunch of threads.) She did bunch of tandems, then tunnel, then AFF, static line, more AFF I think, more tunnel in there somewhere, and so on... She used pants with mesh between the thighs to help lift the legs; straps to pull up the legs for landing; knee braces to lock the legs for freefall. And yes friends to lift her into the aircraft. And unless there's a lot of money to spare, instructors who are willing to donate a lot of their time to the cause. She did break a leg one time on landing when having problems with a new leg lift arrangement.

She does have control of pretty much her whole torso though. (But I don't know in detail how to quantify her paralysis.) That helped for arching, twisting, and otherwise using arms & upper body for freefall control.

I know other have done it and it can be done. That said, it;s not a risk I'm willing to take on as an instructor. Back when I was younger I would often throw caution to the wind, over time I've seen and done stuff that has made me wiser and I tend to think things through more now.

I also will no longer take obese fat asses on TDM's.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo