popsjumper

Student H&P's

. But they are harder to get stable from and pull within 5 seconds

Nonsense.

You're saying that a diving exit will have a pre-A-licence jumper in a position to pull in the same amount of time as a poised exit?

I'll see your "nonsense" and raise you a "poppycock"!

OK, I'll assume you have a lot of experience training students.....is that in fact the case?.

Your statement that it is "harder to get stable and pull within 5 seconds", didn't seem specifically about pre A licence students, AND, in any case, is simply not necessarily true.

A poised exit should be perfect from the start, a dive exit within a couple of seconds, max.

5 seconds after exit is 500 feet of altitude. That is plenty. I can teach a pre A licenced jumper to do a stable dive exit and be in a good position to deploy in a lot less that 500 feet.

I've taught hundreds of students to do that, and gone base or pin for them on their first link. With a well timed count, the base - pin is usually together within 2 or 3 seconds. That is normal.

The trick is to use the relative wind and prop blast to exit in a stable position, and that is all about presenting your body to the prop blast correctly.

Did nobody teach you that?.

No one is going to do relative work with somebody who burns 500 feet dropping out of the sky getting stable.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

Where I am now... They use antique techniques from 15-20 years ago, that often cause more problems then they "fix"

I'm curious, where are you now and what do they do?

I'm curious as well. Its gonna come as a real shock to realise I've been doing it all wrong for nearly 40 years.....

The new generation are just full of surprises to go with their mad skillz......

Techniques do evolve and ... SHOCK HORROR... even improve in some cases.

It might pay to keep your mind open to new techniques and methods instead of dismissing them as "mad skillz" before understanding what they are.

We are talking a SPECIFIC technique here...namely how to exit the aircraft in a stable position.

Now please elaborate, in some detail how the technique of exiting in a stable position has evolved in the last few years, in a way that I have no knowledge of.

My mind is open and receptive to new ideas.

Its not like I haven't seen, experienced and adopted new techniques and ideas in the last 38 years I've been involved in skydiving.

Now tell me how this new fangled exit technique works!.

I don't know about everyone else, but my easiest stable exit is to take a knee in the door facing 45 degrees to the front, and then just jump out into my best arch, facing forwards. For me, it's a compromise between a fully poised exit sat in the door and a normal dive exit.

Haven't seen this brought up, and if it has I apologize for repeating it, but do those of you with more than 10 years in the sport remember your first H&P after doing all of AFF from 13k? I sure as shit do (it was only 200 jumps ago) and I was scared shitless. There I am, poised in the door looking at the earth which is a whole lot closer than it has been and I've got this 5 second requirement making me more and more nervous. All of the calm and composed exits I've done previously were erased. Practice and repetition can be done til both instructor and student are blue in the face, but when the rubber hits the road the student can forget everything because the earth is now really close!

I know you like to pose questions vs. give answers obelixtim, but you've got to keep in mind that the first H&P can me a major mind-f*&k for a lot of people. I went through 13 levels prior to mine, never repeated a level or had a bad debrief and my H&P was terrible. I pitched inside 5 seconds, but I wasn't a picture of stability when I did.

t a diving exit will have a pre-A-licence jumper in a position to pull in the same amount of time as a poised exit?

absolutely - review "relative wind" again

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I learned on SL so hop and pops was basically my first 12 jumps and to-date are one of my favorite jumps to make (the lower the better ;))

Forgive my ignorance about AFF, but isn't exit stability a criteria for passing a jump, and if so, what is the definition of "stable" that is applied?

In my progression leaving the aircraft with a stable arch and doing practice rip-cord pulls was THE criteria for getting off the SL, and even then a few more where I actually pulled before I was given the reward of full altitude having demonstrated I can exit and pull.

If in AFF you are evaluated on your exit and you exit poorly then you shouldn't be progressing, right? By the time you get to a hop & pop, exiting should be an existing skill in the student's tool set?

I know I can read the SIM to see what the text says but I guess what I'm interested in is an AFFI's perspective on what they look for in exits since so much of that can be subjective? Is there any reason why we shouldn't expect a student to exit in such a way that they could deploy within 5-10 seconds no matter what their altitude?

A poised exit should be perfect from the start, a dive exit within a couple of seconds, max.

if we teach it right (i.e., the student isn't scared to dive steep enough to hit the wind correctly), a dive exit is also stable from the start - or sideways or poised, etc etc....... orientation doesn't matter as long as our junk is square to the wind

The trick is to use the relative wind and prop blast to exit in a stable position, and that is all about presenting your body to the prop blast correctly.

damn straight

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I've got this 5 second requirement making me more and more nervous.

I hate that damn thing.

Arch, relax, reach, pull
(the 'relax', or 'breathe', or 'pause' is plenty of time to get away even for the most nervous of students. If they are that nervous, they'll quick-pitch regardless)

giving a random delay of any kind is pointless and doesn't add to the training - IMHO, YMMV (I'm sure someone will V)

it's a clear and pull, not a clear and wait and pull

Haven't seen this brought up, and if it has I apologize for repeating it, but do those of you with more than 10 years in the sport remember your first H&P after doing all of AFF from 13k? I sure as shit do (it was only 200 jumps ago) and I was scared shitless. There I am, poised in the door looking at the earth which is a whole lot closer than it has been and I've got this 5 second requirement making me more and more nervous. All of the calm and composed exits I've done previously were erased. Practice and repetition can be done til both instructor and student are blue in the face, but when the rubber hits the road the student can forget everything because the earth is now really close!

I know you like to pose questions vs. give answers obelixtim, but you've got to keep in mind that the first H&P can me a major mind-f*&k for a lot of people. I went through 13 levels prior to mine, never repeated a level or had a bad debrief and my H&P was terrible. I pitched inside 5 seconds, but I wasn't a picture of stability when I did.

I understand where you are coming from, but from my point of view if you are freaking out at that point, then your Instructor has done a piss poor job of preparing you for it.

Exiting stable from any position should be almost second nature by then, and the exit altitude doesn't affect that one bit.

Did they not explain to you that pulling at 5500, or 3500, for that matter, when you are at terminal after a normal AFF jump, you are burning altitude twice as fast as you are if you exit at that altitude, not to mention the few seconds of horizontal flight you get from throw forward of the aircraft???.

And because of those factors, exiting at those levels is quite safe, and you have time to get stable and deploy, without any stress at all.

And was it not carefully explained that freaking out, in any situation, is the worst thing you can do, because when you freak out you are out of control, and when you are out of control you are in trouble.

Panic solves absolutely nothing, but is almost a certain guarantee you'll get into trouble.

See, these are concepts I drill into the heads of all my students from day one, and I put them under all sorts of stress during training to try aqnd freak them out, and they have to show me clearly that they can handle all I can throw at them.

Then I make it clear that they might even invent some new situation that even I haven't thought of, but as they'll be on their own, they'll have to deal with it, and its essential to keep the brain switched on at all times.

When I had about 15 jumps we were at about 1800 feet in the plane when we hit cloudbase, and we were right on evening civil twilight. The JM gave the order to run in, and I realised we were going to jump......I pointed at the ground, and my alti, but he gave me no chance to argue...."get the F*&% out".

I got out, as did the rest of the load....and it was OK.

Thing is, I trusted his judgement, so I believed it would be OK.

When an AFF student is cleared for his H&P, he needs to trust the judgement of his Instructors, and be confident in his ability to do so..

Having said that of course, the caveat is IF the Instructors have prepared them properly, both physically, and mentally.

Your story suggests to me that your Instructors did neither. And thats the beef I have with AFF.

My experience with AFF trained jumpers is, that with some exceptions, a few fundamental aspects of skydive training are not properly trained.

I've come across jumpers with hundreds of jumps who have no clue about some of the most basic "needs to know", that they should have learnt from jump number one.

Its really quite scary, the level of ignorance out there.

Your statement that it is "harder to get stable and pull within 5 seconds", didn't seem specifically about pre A licence students, AND, in any case, is simply not necessarily true.

The title of the thread is "Student H&P's".

Yes, it should be - for someone who has practiced it. Isn't that the whole point of this thread?

My point is that it takes a student longer to get stable from a diving exit than a poised exit. Shit, plenty of them can't even hold a poised exit stable the first few times.

Your students may be adept at turning points on the hill, but many aren't.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

My point is that it takes a student longer to get stable from a diving exit than a poised exit. Shit, plenty of them can't even hold a poised exit stable the first few times.

So what is your solution then?.

Nonsense.

You're saying that a diving exit will have a pre-A-licence jumper in a position to pull in the same amount of time as a poised exit?

I'll chuck in a "you're ill informed". A diving exit is just as stable and for many students easier than a poised, while also being a faster exit, which IS the point of the simulated emergency exit/
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Nonsense.

I'll chuck in a "you're ill informed". A diving exit is just as stable and for many students easier than a poised, while also being a faster exit, which IS the point of the simulated emergency exit/

As has been mentioned it's most often mental whether those 1st couple H&P's are graceful. I've known some jumpers well past A license not want to exit low over a given location yet are willing to do the same at higher altitudes. The don't look down factor applies somehow. :S

So what is your solution then?.

What Popsjumper suggested in the opening post in the thread: have students practice the exit on a couple of altitude jumps before doing the actual hop-n-pop.

What Popsjumper suggested in the opening post in the thread: have students practice the exit on a couple of altitude jumps before doing the actual hop-n-pop.

Thanks for the reply, but I was looking for the answer from our learned friend......

Thanks for the reply, but I was looking for the answer from our learned friend......

Exactly what Divalent/Popsjumper said. That is the reason for this thread.

Getting back to basics, if the purpose of mandatory H&Ps is to practice getting out in an emergency, then they should be practiced until people are confident and competent.

Personally, I think jumpers should do more H&Ps for canopy control purposes anyway, but that's another matter.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

Trained static line, 20 years S/L I, 7 years S/L I-E, also AFF-I.
My opinion, especially having AFF babies show up post training and having watched a few AFF graduates do their hop & pops is that AFF underappreciates the "hard arch" and overstresses the "relaxed arch".
I'm not saying that the jumper shouldn't relax in freefall to avoid the dreaded "chip", but the hard arch will keep a student belly to the relative wind and will get them back there very effectively. I've seen enough lazy, unstable exits from those trained AFF because they don't hold their arch long enough after exit.
The altitude thing is entirely another matter. It's only normal for them, after being trained to pull high, to be nervous at what they consider to very low altitudes. That part goes to how well they are trained for the low altitude exits, and unfortunatly, a lot of AFF traing centers quit training once the big money stops flowing (not to say that doesn't happen at some small, S/L operations).
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Interesting point. What would hurt to have students make a few "hop n pop" style exits and p/c touches at full altitude during progression jumps?

After being released for self-supervision, yes.
For AFF level 7, I agree, it's usually a diving exit. Why not make that a H&P exit instead?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Andy, What is a level 14 coach jump? Is that one of the 2 hop and pops required for an A?

Here is Oz - hop and pops are required as the final two jumps for AFF - 5500 followed by 3500 I believe. I don't know what the dropzone involved does, but here hop and pops are from a 182 and a strut hang exit. The strut hang seems to work well, compared to trying to exit stable off the step of a 182 (I watched someone with 40 jumps take in excess of 10 seconds to get stable, from the step).

Level 14...or whatever...it's only one of a myriad of training programs involving anywhere from 7 to 18 jumps or more.

Your (Aussie) H&P methods....I do not agree with and here's why:
The H&P requirement is all about training for emergency exits. Somehow, I can't picture hanging from a strut in an emergency situation.

As for practicing stable exits at altitude, shouldn't the poised exits prepare a student fairly well for exit body position?

Again, the H&P is training for emergency exits. You are telling me that you didn't know this already and IMO, you trainers failed in providing you with a solid safety background.

In an emergency exit situation, you will not be doing a poised exit....while you are getting set up, the person behind you will be knocking your posed ass off the plane.

When I was going through my AFF levels, only two of my exits weren't poised, and I made sure to do a couple more poised exits before I did my hop & pops just to make sure I had it. It didn't prepare me to count at a regular speed though, apparently you count really fast when nervous :P

Do they have to be poised

Read the post above.

...but I was allowed to choose...?

Good! I hope you chose to practice both a standing exit and a diving exit until you could be stable or get stable immediately with no problems. In an emergency exit, you may not have a choice on how you hit the wind.

Again, the H&P is training for emergency exits. You are telling me that you didn't know this already and IMO, you trainers failed in providing you with a solid safety background.

Except that's not at all what I said.

A student should be comfortable with getting out facing the relative wind and being stable out the door because it's what they did for most of their AFF jumps. Hence why I asked "shouldn't they be comfortable with the body position?"

I'm not saying one should get in the door, get their feet in the right spot, arch and then do the exit cadence as the airplane is hurtling towards the ground. I would appreciate if you didn't insinuate that I did.

edit: grammar

my easiest stable exit is to take a knee in the door facing 45 degrees to the front, and then just jump out into my best arch, facing forwards.

good stuff...Now do it from your feet. Nobody is going to wait for you to take a knee in the door...you will get run over.

Again, the H&P is training for emergency exits.

Boy has the sport CHANGED since I was a stooodent...H&P's use to be for canopy accuracy practice, exits were at 2000'. An easy 4 loads an hour in a 182! :D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Again, the H&P is training for emergency exits.

Boy has the sport CHANGED since I was a stooodent...H&P's use to be for canopy accuracy practice, exits were at 2000'. An easy 4 loads an hour in a 182! :D

Did a hop and pop this weekend. The other guys in the 182 were trying to kick me out at 3.5 and without a cut so they could get to altitude quickly:)
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.