popsjumper

Student H&P's

I am not an instructor, but have been in the sport for long.

Static line trains the student to arch from the get go. He actually has very little time before the chute opens. This repeated, they get used to arching hard. I would think a more safer way is to incorporate(instead of a couple of tandems), have the student do 5 or so static jumps, progress them to AFF level 1. You eliminate the altitude difference mindf$%*, you make sure the student arches hard from the get go, and the student is more ready for a low aircraft malfunction, early in his training. I also find that aff students tend to wait for the speed buildup, so much more relaxed than pushing a hard arch from scratch.

Another thing which a wise man taught me, was to not see your exit as an exit, but rather a transition, from still air in the cabin, to flowing air outside (Speed being the same initially). And controlling yourself in the wind. This tends to have to student much more focussed on flying the relative wind, than just jumping out, and then getting stable.
You have the right to your opinion, and I have the right to tell you how Fu***** stupid it is.
Davelepka - "This isn't an x-box, or a Chevy truck forum"
Whatever you do, don't listen to ChrisD.

Again, the H&P is training for emergency exits.

Boy has the sport CHANGED since I was a stooodent...H&P's use to be for canopy accuracy practice, exits were at 2000'. An easy 4 loads an hour in a 182! :D

We've come a long way, baby!
:D:D:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

You eliminate the altitude difference mindf$%*,

S/L - Oh shit! We're going higher on the next one?

AFF - Oh shit! We're going lower on the next one?

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

my first H&P was a auctual emergecy exit. i remember the door goin up and thinkin i could still read the stop sign, and u want me to get out!? but it was better than riding the plane down. so i jumped got stable right away and dumped. that was one hell of a rush.

You eliminate the altitude difference mindf$%*,

S/L - Oh shit! We're going higher on the next one?
AFF - Oh shit! We're going lower on the next one?

That cracks me up. Maybe I have a problem because I was never sure how I was trained.

I had some problems in my early jumps, mixed some SL with AFF, then stopped AFF and went to SL only to get to solo status. Often, I have felt all of the problems I had were holding me back. But in retrospect I see I might have learned more because of my problems.

I know my SL jumps made a big difference in the AFF jumps that I did after a few SL jumps. My exits were much better. About the 3rd SL exit something clicked that you arch right on exit, not 3 seconds later, when someone is banging their helmet into your kidney.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

(I watched someone with 40 jumps take in excess of 10 seconds to get stable, from the step).

That right there is a indication of a problem!

Hah! I watched a whole DC-3 load of "skygods" flail out the door at 5K trying to do H&P's for a commercial.

We wanted to go out lower but too many weren't comfortable with less than 5.[:/]

Perhaps students are having problems because lots of Instructors don't do them anymore.

Jump more, post less!

Again, the H&P is training for emergency exits.

Boy has the sport CHANGED since I was a stooodent...

I can see how you'd view the invention of the internal combustion engine as a fairly significant change. :ph34r:

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

In an emergency exit situation, you will not be doing a poised exit....while you are getting set up, the person behind you will be knocking your posed ass off the plane.

I've seen this with a low time jumper in a real AC emergency.... :|

The guys behind him did NOT wait for him to get his shit together.