Abedy

Just asking for opinions

Found on youtube.
I'm just asking for opinions. No intention to put the finger at someone!
Soundtrack might be offensive to some folks due to explicit language in first song. If you don't like explicit language switch off sound before starting the vid.

(No, it's not me... :P)
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

Are you referring to the landing pattern the video guy flew?

He came in downwind over the top, did a right turn in what looks to be a left pattern...but there's a LOT of chaos in that pattern.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

No, I was just asking opinions about the tandem jump B|
Background: Newly minted TI, wanted to hear what others have to say.

I didn't see anything overly positive or negative with the tandem, but if that guy swooped me like he did the jumper under the blue canopy, the real show would have been in the middle of the landing area.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The TM might appreciate the vidiot staying in view during deployment, rather than have him disappear above him.

Not really that impressed with the vidiot under canopy.

The TM was OK, for a newbie.
My computer beat me at chess, It was no match for me at kickboxing....

:)
Few points for both the TI & the camera flyer.

TI:
1.No handles check at the door.
2.Reach for the drouge in a head down position.
3.Looks like NO drouge full deployment check.
4.No handles check + RSL after deploying the drouge.

Camera Flyer:
At tandem deployment time he/she went high above the tandem into the "Danger Zone" risking 3 persons by his/her action.:(

A fatality happaned few years ago in the USA at this point - it looks "no issues" but the camera flyer can slide into the deployed canopy just like that.

Both the TI & the Camera Flyer needs education each one in his area.

Cheers

Thanks for the input, folks, especially to Shlomo. Goes with what I thought watching the vid but wanted to listen to others before - will tell 'em.

Just from my POV:

TI could've had more positive legs, there were times where the students legs were further out than his, the TI also basically had his legs on top of the student for a bit putting his legs in areas of little use. Had that student not kept his legs where they were, that could've gotten a little interesting before he fixed it.

No full handles check that I'm used to seeing/trained to do. I saw a main handle check, then what looked like was going to be a cutaway check when they started to turn, he stopped it and stopped his handle check with it. I think if he had been able to use his legs to counter the turn, he could've finished his handles check.

Instructors body position right at deployment doesn't look like it's setting him up for success.

I really don't wanna get started on the video guy..
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

TI was ok, could stick the legs out more. Finish the post drouge handle check next time. Overall, not too bad.

Video was pretty good i thought. He did not appear to be in the danger zone to me on opening.

Landing patterns.....Yikes. OP, are we really supposed to be focusing on the Tandem? Because that near miss was much scarier to watch.

Nylon Pylons:o

BASE 1384

Because that near miss was much scarier to watch.

A hit would be a near miss

They nearly hit. :P

/georgecarlin
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

also when having a tandem videoed, the TM/TI should try to get the best light possible on the passenger/student in order to have a good video, and not a game of shades...

you learn that when you are the videoperson trying to get good footage, so when you transition to TM/TI, you start to be considerate with your co-workers, for the client's benefit :)

scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

As I wrote, a newly minted TI. So "look into the sun" is nice, but...

OTOH, videots usually notice this and automatically move into the "right" position (hoping the TI will realise and follow suit :)

...but if that guy swooped me like he did the jumper under the blue canopy, the real show would have been in the middle of the landing area.

You mean the guy with the red-and-white canopy? (BTW: Must have been another videot from a tandem that exited later, so he must have overtaken the first videot and the solo jumper who exited first...)