bherrick

Coaching question

Re currency training is method specific. Coaches are not allowed to teach anything that is method specific. And AFAIK...a re currency jump is with a person who holds an I not a coach. And, it may need more then one jump...if the person getting recurrent fails. It does happen.

I do not have my SIM or IRM in front of me can you post the quote for that?

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Coaches are not allowed to teach anything that is method specific.

are you referring to Section 2-1-E:
2. First-jump course [E]
a. All first-jump non-method-specific training must
be conducted by a USPA Instructor or a USPA
Coach under the supervision of a USPA
Instructor.
b. All method-specific training must be conducted
by a USPA Instructor rated in the method for
which the student is being trained.

Every instance of discussing Method Specific Training in the SIM referrs to teaching students and not licensed skydivers.

Presumably, since USPA allows your the minute you become a licensed skydiver to jump a Sub 100 sq Ft Canopy when the winds are at 40 knots, they feel once you are licensed you are a big boy (or girl).
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

One issue in this thread is lack of understanding of what exactly "method specific" is.

As DiverMike said, it seems to apply to students only. My casual reading of the SIM (as a non-USPA jumper) suggests that "method specific" indicates those parts of a student jumper's training that differ depending on whether he is learning by AFF or static line, etc.

So the term is to be interpreted in a specific USPA SIM sense, not in a general way.

Coaches are not allowed to teach anything that is method specific.

are you referring to Section 2-1-E:
2. First-jump course [E]
a. All first-jump non-method-specific training must
be conducted by a USPA Instructor or a USPA
Coach under the supervision of a USPA
Instructor.
b. All method-specific training must be conducted
by a USPA Instructor rated in the method for
which the student is being trained.

Every instance of discussing Method Specific Training in the SIM referrs to teaching students and not licensed skydivers.

Presumably, since USPA allows your the minute you become a licensed skydiver to jump a Sub 100 sq Ft Canopy when the winds are at 40 knots, they feel once you are licensed you are a big boy (or girl).

You should be asking redramdriver that question.
Which has been answered, I think.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

A coach can do recurrence jumps. USPA says "instructional rating" and a coach qualifies.
BUT, the examples you cite, for me, don't fall into my definition of recurrence training.
I would want all of the jumpers in question to go through a first jump course.
Anyone who has been out of the sport for 10 years needs more than a recurrence jump.
Military jumpers who have not used hand deploy most likely also aren't licensed and have had no USPA style first jump course.
Will they complain? Probably.
My personal experience, the more adamant their complaint, the more they need the additional training.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Military HALO jumpers have most certainly been through a course similar to and easily the equivalent of a USPA FJC. You understand that upon completing their HALO school, they are considered capable of jumping....from high altitudes....with oxygen....at night....with an equipment bundle....and weapon....into combat? If you encounter a jumper from a civilian DZ that still uses r/c, would they need to attend a FJC? At Raeford, we have the privilege of working with these gentlemen frequently, there were at least 4 there this weekend that jumped, without incident, after being given transition training regarding the use and problems associated with hand deployed systems, granted there is more training that just that as they need to be integrated into a civilian DZ, but they are neither unskilled nor uneducated. Many, perhaps most, show up with a nearly complete A license card. This has nothing to do with recurrency jumps but I believe you are grossly misrepresenting their level of competency.

A coach can do recurrence jumps. USPA says "instructional rating" and a coach qualifies.

From the Coaches handbook~

3. All student training and recurrency jumps with a USPA
Coach are conducted under the supervision of a current
and appropriately rated USPA Instructor.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

From the Coaches handbook~

3. All student training and recurrency jumps with a USPA
Coach are conducted under the supervision of a current
and appropriately rated USPA Instructor.

It's going to get a little crowded in the sky, what with a student, a coach, and an appropriately rated USPA Instructor on the skydive.:ph34r:
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."