Deelay

Fast and best way to be an instructor?

In today's world, I'm not a big fan of people becoming instructors with less than a 1000 or 2000 jumps.

I don't disagree with you, especially at turbine DZs where "the regulars" can make a lot of jumps per year. But I think you'll agree that are still a lot of smaller, one-Cessna DZs, where a lot fewer jumps per year are made (especially up North), where out of necessity they "grow" their instructor staff by nurturing their students to stay and be regulars, and their regulars to stay through attaining their D licenses; and then once they get their Ds, they turn them into instructors. For those type of DZs, waiting until people accrue about 1,000 jumps until they become instructors just might not be practical.

We're on the same page - some environments do enable 'maturing' of the skydiver much better than others.

Short version of my comment (IMHO by default) - today, we are advancing flying skills faster than ever, but maturing the jumpers into self reliant and responsible jumpers a lot slower. And we need to consider that.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

If you're doing it for the money-don't.

If you have a business idea-be the manager, not the labor.

If you want to make money-go to school and get a real job.

If you have to ask-well...

Don't worry, as it turns out the OP has all the answers. Of course, in that case, it's anyone's guess why he posted a question, but he seems to think he's got the bases covered.

Being an AFFI requires flying skills, to be sure. But more importantly, you must be able to TEACH. The essence of an AFFI, is teaching the skills to student skydivers. There are many skydivers with outstanding flying skills that cannot communicate, much less teach. And there are some great teachers who cannot fly. You need to work on both sets of skills; they are equally important, despite what the skygods may say.
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Stop assuming... I never said how to or if I want to make money out of it... in Norway or any other country.
I have a businessidea, but I never said how I will use this certification.

Ummm.... Skyrides already been done! B|
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

Hi,
I got a question and hope for some suggestions...

I want to be a skydiving instructor, but dont know how.. Is AFF the only start? And just B certificate + experience?
Or is there any better ways?

IMHO, the FASTEST way is not the BEST way. I know what you mean, but since I have been around a while I have observed a bit. I waited until I had 1000 jumps before I became a TM, and had 1600 jumps before I came an AFFI.

I see people who start teaching at the minimum jump/time required and I think they usually suck. Why be interested in obtaining your Instructor rating as fast you can, but rather why not be the best Instructor you can be? Just my two cents. /rant

steveOrino