Deelay

Fast and best way to be an instructor?

Hi,
I got a question and hope for some suggestions...

I want to be a skydiving instructor, but dont know how.. Is AFF the only start? And just B certificate + experience?
Or is there any better ways?

I'd love to help but I have no idea what Norway requires for AFF instructor ratings.

I will say this though.
Fast is NOT the way to go.
Slow and sure is right.

Take a ratings course.
Take it slow, learn the elements and practice, practice, practice.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I cannot fathom how someone could want to be a skydiving instructor having not become a skydiver yet.

Step 1) Learn to jump.

Step 2) Long pause. (We're talking years here)

Step 3) See if it's still a good idea.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Pops and JP are right on! (especially since JP took me on my first jump ;) )

I had 5 years in sport when I began thinking on becoming an instructor. I talked to my instructors and asked their opinions and accepted their advice. When I made the choice to try and get my rating I then started practicing with my instructor to prepare for the challenge. Since your profile is blank we have no idea on your experience level or abilities.

Being and AFF-I is very challenging and rewarding at the same time. It does require a unique skill set IMHO. For the first 5 years in sport I was taught to be smooth and take soft docks. Learning to be an AFF-I I got to learn combat skydiving (for lack of a better term). When a student has an issue you need the skill set to get to them, correct the issue or stop the skydive.

As far as I know an AFF-I rating is still the hardest rating to obtain. During my rating course I made numerous practice jumps with the evaluators prior to my eval. jumps. Once we started the eval jumps you were not allowed further practice jumps. If you did not meet the requirements you were allowed one repeat jump. If you did not meet the criteria on the second time you were done.

It's a significant commitment with significant responsibility, take your time and talk to your instructors. I am sure they will provide you with quality advice.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Hi,

I want to be a skydiving instructor, but dont know how.. Is AFF the only start? And just B certificate + experience?

This is going to sound sarcastic, but it's a serious answer to your question -

1. Come up with about $25,000

2. Spend $12,000 of it in the first year on training and equipment.

3. Spend $6000 of it in the second year on training and equipment.

4. Spend the remaining $7000 of in the thrid year on training, equipment, and an instructor certification course.

That's the fastest way. Get your licesne, get your gear, and start knocking out 200 or 250 jumps per year. Get professional coaching along the way, and by the end of your third year, you should be good to go. If you're not good enough by then, you never will be.

Hi,

Buy a DZ:ph34r:

Just because you have a instructor rateing doesn't mean you'll be able to find a job instucting, unless you own the DZ or marry the DZO:ph34r:

Thx for all the answers, it seems its just to get started with the AFF.
I think I will take it in New Zealand since the price is skyhigh here in Norway:P

And to answer some of your questions:
The reason why I want to be an instructor even before I start a skydiving-"career" is that I want a goal to strive against.(and I have a businessidea;))

I have a couple of jumps from plane and buildings behind me(+ bungee).

I'm a total noob (3 s/l jumps) and like you I'm looking to become an instructor so I looked up the requirements on the BPA website - 800 jumps + 8 hrs in freefall for RAPS and Tandem, 1000 jumps + 10 hrs freefall for AFF and that's just to qualify for the basic instructor course. Also need C-licence for RAPS/Tandem, D licence for AFF. I have no idea what the requirements are in Norway but I've provided a link to the BPA website so you can have a look at the amount of hard work required.

http://www.bpa.org.uk/training/becoming-an-instructor/
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

The reason why I want to be an instructor even before I start a skydiving-"career" is that I want a goal to strive against

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I've got news for you - right now your goal is making a safe solo skydive, not everyone can do that. Once you have that behind you, your goal is making a safe second jump. This idea continues on for as long as you're going to jump, but it's never more true during your first few years in the sport.

There is a long list of accomplishments and goals you will have to reach before you are ready to become an instructor.

I dont say its a easy and straight way to the goal...
Instructor is ONE of the goals... not the final goal either... Like u say, it is many goals on the way, but thats just "stages" in a full project. And of course the final goal can change while we are walking the steps....

Ppl are also different, some needs "a plan" and a goal, some don't...

Hehe, not close to any stairs, I took the lift up:P...and jumped of the roof...(organized, with wires so I got the frefall first; but no parachute)

Ok...
So that prepairs you for what? There is not going to be any wires to save your butt in skydiving.

But if it does prepair you, I guess if I spend a few hours in this I would be a pilot?

Ok...
So that prepairs you for what? There is not going to be any wires to save your butt in skydiving.

But if it does prepair you, I guess if I spend a few hours in this I would be a pilot?

?? Why should a wire save me in skydiving?
I didnt say a jump like that makes me a skydiver.... hmm...
Somebody asked meg for my background and I answered...

Ppl are also different, some needs "a plan" and a goal, some don't...

This is true, but every jumper planning to make more than one more jump shares the goal making their next jump a safe one.

What I'm suggesting is that becoming an instrucor is the end of a long journey with many challenges along the way. Don't downplay the journey, it's all part of the experiences that 'create' a skydiving instructor.

You'll have a better chance for success (and fun) if you reign in your goals a little, and focus on something you could accomplish in the next 6 to 10 months. Do the work, and make the jumps, and the experience and skill will appear on it's own.

Reality check: in Norway, I very much doubt you could make a living of being an skydiving instructor.

Basically, if you want to make a job out of skydiving rather than just a hobby, you want to be multi-rated. So we're talking staticline jumpmaster, AFF instructor, tandemmaster and preferable video and even rigging as well. This wil set you back oh EUR 30.000 or so. Might be (much) more in Norway.

Then, 1000+ jumps down the road, you need to get those jumps in where you're actualy getting paid. That means you need good weather year round, plus customers. That wouldn't work in most countries in Europe, you'd need to go jump in NZ or California or similar to make some money off jumping.

If you want to make some money off skydiving, becoming a packer might be your best bet :)
For now , just start jumping and be prepared for it to cost you half your free time and half your salary in return for a whole lot of fun ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Stop assuming... I never said how to or if I want to make money out of it... in Norway or any other country.
I have a businessidea, but I never said how I will use this certification.

The only thing I wanted was ideas and suggestion on how to become an instructor and how long time it will take...
But now I got the answer and thx so much for that!

In today's world, I'm not a big fan of people becoming instructors with less than a 1000 or 2000 jumps.

1 - big DZs and big airplanes takes away a LOT of the personal responsibility that jumpers had when they needed to spot, mix it up with various skills, help newbies because they had to, work with the pilots, hang out and get to know the experienced people and why they survived

2 - So many skip becoming VERY proficient in belly work and focus on single disciplines that aren't as useful for teaching - and the attitudes that go with it

3 - people go to "Coaching" early for the jump credit and pay instead of because they love "coaching"

4 - skipping early to go-pros, skipping early to small canopies, I think maturing (attitude, not mechanical proficiency) in this sport takes a LOT longer than it used to {{maybe this is just the summary of my points}}

5 - there are so many disciplines, a good instructor should really be familiar with multiple disciplines - (good at a discipline is like 1000 jumps dedicated - EACH)

6 - tunnels get people skilled faster, but that doesn't shorten the experience one gets over time

7 - short exposure to watching new people learn means you tend to teach from only your own experience - this is short sighted, people make the same mistakes for different reasons. If you only have experience with one cause, you do a disservice to a student that is having his problem for a totally different reason than you did.

I sound like an old timer, but, frankly, I love the tunnel, I am proficient in multiple disciplines, I do love to teach, I do love to surf my canopy.

and I do think the best way to be a good instructor that actually understands and cares about teaching just plain can't really be done "fast" - it takes numbers, it also takes years - and, actually once you get a rating, your learning curve just starts (as I'm learning)

of course, if one just wants to be a cookie cutter instructor and chunk out customers on the production line, then you can likely get there in a year or two if you push it. Just follow the progression.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Best way to become a GOOD instructor-

Get a real job
Make lots of money
Teach something for a few years
Do a bunch of skydives
Do a bunch more skydives
Then do it if you truly love teaching and like skydiving

Fastest way to become AN instructor-

Get a real job
Make lots of money
Spend it on skydives and tunnel time
Get a rating and instruct until you burn out or get kicked out

There are many other ways, and most of us probably used other ways. These are the best and fastest.

If you're doing it for the money-don't.

If you have a business idea-be the manager, not the labor.

If you want to make money-go to school and get a real job.

If you have to ask-well...if you don't know how to do research and find your own answers and resort to an internet forum to ask questions that can be solved by a simple search...

I believe there's a program in New Zealand that takes you through the paces all the way to being an instructor.

But I agree with everything everyone else said, too. There are things that exposure teaches, not book learning.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

In today's world, I'm not a big fan of people becoming instructors with less than a 1000 or 2000 jumps.

I don't disagree with you, especially at turbine DZs where "the regulars" can make a lot of jumps per year. But I think you'll agree that are still a lot of smaller, one-Cessna DZs, where a lot fewer jumps per year are made (especially up North), where out of necessity they "grow" their instructor staff by nurturing their students to stay and be regulars, and their regulars to stay through attaining their D licenses; and then once they get their Ds, they turn them into instructors. For those type of DZs, waiting until people accrue about 1,000 jumps until they become instructors just might not be practical.

Thanks for the clarification; that's what I get for posting without actually researching.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)