bigorangemd

Liability insurance

What about subrogation?

Although I wouldn't sue you, my health insurance company has the right to pursue potentially liable parties to recover their costs and might do so after paying off a six figure claim.

For something like a bad landing that's seems unlikely to go anywhere "I made a bad parachute landing on public property" (and nobody else could possibly be at fault) but things may be more ambiguous with equipment malfunctions.

Well, like I said - there's some risk. You can't avoid it all, or we'd be playing golf - as they say. I'm familiar with the concept, but in reality I haven't seen that happen to any skydivers yet. I've seen enough chopper flights to know they're expensive, but I've yet to see an insurance company try to recoup. Yet.

The risks you describe are no different than someone getting knocked out in bigways, for example. Yup, it could happen, and yup - skydivers have sued - but it's rare, and I don't know of any insurance companies doing it on their behalf - yet.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I've seen enough chopper flights to know they're expensive, but I've yet to see an insurance company try to recoup.

Get ready to owe beer. I tore a muscle in my shoulder flaring a tandem with a fat pax, and required a relatively minor shoulder arthroscope to reattach some torn tendons. I didn't even take a chopper or ambulance, just went to the doc the next week. The value of my total surgery and physical therapy was a scant $20,000- you can't get much cheaper than that for anything that puts you under anesthesia. It was paid for by my insurance- Anthem BC/BS. I have a pretty good policy and paid less than a grand out of pocket. Also, the passenger was fine.

About two months later I got the subrogation letter in the mail asking who they could sue to recover the cost of my care. I was pretty vague in my description, just replied with once sentence that I tore a muscle landing my parachute and they seemed satisfied with that and didn't pursue anyone.

I've seen my share of injuries and chopper rides too and I have to say that I have heard of several health insurance companies trying to recoup. You would be surprised how little they have to spend to want to recover it.

Edit to add that the only reason I even mentioned to the ambulance chaser that a parachute was involved was because I was honest with my doc in describing the flaring motion that resulted in the dislocation/ tear. They could have audited my records if they wanted to. You can bet that if you get carted off the DZ on a stretcher, there will be a note about how you got hurt in the docs notes. Lying to the insurance company is not a good bet.

A wise mentor once told me..... "you haven't made it in business until you have been sued"

Yeah. Which just goes to show: many stupid ideas get a free pass by being labeled "sayings".

I disagree.... the saying is pretty accurate in this sue happy world. If you have money to lose in business you are highly likely to get sued.
Life is all about ass....either you're kicking it, kissing it, working it off, or trying to get a piece of it.
Muff Brother #4382 Dudeist Skydiver #000
www.fundraiseadventure.com

A wise mentor once told me..... "you haven't made it in business until you have been sued"

Yeah. Which just goes to show: many stupid ideas get a free pass by being labeled "sayings".

I disagree.... the saying is pretty accurate in this sue happy world. If you have money to lose in business you are highly likely to get sued.

Whatever. One person says something, he's blowing it out his ass. Two people repeat it down the line, it's "common knowledge".

This thread has got me curious. With all the alk of liability, insurance, judgments, lawsuits, etc. I'm wondering how valid all these fears are. If someone gets hurt, yes there's a chance of them suing. But realistically, how many of them actually make it to court once the liability waiver (that Every tandem student signs) is thrown in their face? Of those that do make it to court, how many actually make it past the judge when the waiver is brought up? And of the ones that make it farther, how many actually succeed in convincing a jury that the tandem student didn't assume the risk of this highly dangerous activity after signing the waiver that uses terms like "serious injury" and "death" in every other sentence?

I'm being rather serious here, because I'm not aware of a single successful lawsuit in the US for a tandem injury. Yes, someone might sue. And that alone will cost you some money. But realistically it'll likely only cost a minimal amount...just enough for your attorney to send a copy of the waiver to the other guy's attorney, and maybe file a motion. Insurance premiums will cost you more than that in the long run.

I'm being rather serious here, because I'm not aware of a single successful lawsuit in the US for a tandem injury. Yes, someone might sue. And that alone will cost you some money. But realistically it'll likely only cost a minimal amount...just enough for your attorney to send a copy of the waiver to the other guy's attorney, and maybe file a motion. Insurance premiums will cost you more than that in the long run.

The problem with the waiver, any waiver, is that you cannot waive gross negligence. Let's say you sign a waiver, then the TI pushes you out of the plane un-attached, and attempts to catch you mid-air (ala Dropzone the movie), but fails. That wouldn't be covered by the waiver.

The above example is easy for anyone to understand that the TI acted improperly, but in real life incidents, the suttle details of what happened are what's important, and no judge knows enough about jumping to unilaterally throw a case out of court. The end result is that they agree to hear the case, and then it's up to the lawyers to prove negligence (guilty) or that it was an accident and that the TI acted properly (not guilty).

In the end, the cost of the defense is what get's you. Waiver or no, you better have a good lawyer on your side when you walk into court (the plantiff will), and that's going to run you $300/hr. Between all the pre-trial jacking around that lawyers do mailing letters back and forth, trial prep, and time in court, it's not unreasonable to run up between 50 and 100 billable hours. Do the math, it's not cheap to win in court.

The main problem is that everyone in the courtroom (expect you) is a whuffo, and needs to be explained in great detail what happened, how it happened, and how it was an 'acceptable' incident. That takes time, and costs money.

realistically, how many of them actually make it to court once the liability waiver (that Every tandem student signs) is thrown in their face? Of those that do make it to court, how many actually make it past the judge when the waiver is brought up? And of the ones that make it farther, how many actually succeed in convincing a jury that the tandem student didn't assume the risk of this highly dangerous activity after signing the waiver that uses terms like "serious injury" and "death" in every other sentence?

The simplified answer to each of those 3 questions is: Not many, but a few do.

95% of plaintiffs' attorneys will decline to take a case like this if there's a valid waiver. Trying to prevail on a "gross negligence" theory is an iffy, expensive investment for a plaintiff's attorney: possibly as much as $50,000 in expert consultant/witness fees (plus the value of the attorney's time, which is considerable), which the plaintiff's atty has to eat if he loses the case.

As noted in other posts, win or lose, legal fees are always very expensive. If there's insurance coverage (the availability or expense of which is another issue), then the usually insurance company pays those legal fees.

If you're a defendant in any kind of lawsuit, you can be as right as right gets, but if you can't afford the fees for an attorney to defend you, you're buggered right from the start.

As for the 3-5% of plaintiffs' attorneys who might take the case, it's pretty likely that they already know about the waiver even before they send out their first "letter of representation" to potential defendants. And "just filing a motion" is not as simple as you think. What you're referring to is a "Motion for Dismissal" or "Motion for Summary Judgment", and it takes a shitload of pretrial legal process - discovery, depositions, experts, etc. - many scores of billable hours - just to get to that stage of the case. So even if a skydiving defendant wins a Motion for Summary Judgment, he could easily be into more than $50,000 in legal and expert witness fees.

I am aware of at least one that settled out of court.

The problem is that with the OP, he is a physician. There is an assumption of wealth there, and high potential for continuing to take a healthy portion of his paycheck in a lawsuit victory. This may or may not be true depending on profession.

Like I said before, this is why I gave up my AFF rating, and won't get a tandem rating. It's just not worth the extra risk from these sue-happy meat sacks, especially to potentially lose my current/future income/practice for a few extra thousand a year.

If you're a defendant in any kind of lawsuit, you can be as right as right gets, but if you can't afford the fees for an attorney to defend you, you're buggered right from the start...

...So even if a skydiving defendant wins a Motion for Summary Judgment, he could easily be into more than $50,000 in legal and expert witness fees.

If I understand corectly... In extreme case, but possible...
Wealthy enough guy can, out of pure sport, sue any non-court-wealthy guy with any frivolous charge and get him ruined/bancrupted because non-wealthy guy could not afford court/lawyer fees?
Is that the situation?
Like: I`m minding my own business, but if someone sues me over anything I`m f*cked because I don`t have 50K to defend myself?

Rhich people could then make sport out of suing and destroying people`s lives. :S

I hope I did not get this right, and that there are some measures one can take to prevent this. [:/]
dudeist skydiver #42

Wealthy enough guy can, out of pure sport, sue any non-court-wealthy guy with any frivolous charge and get him ruined/bancrupted because non-wealthy guy could not afford court/lawyer fees?
Is that the situation?
Like: I`m minding my own business, but if someone sues me over anything I`m f*cked because I don`t have 50K to defend myself?
$50.00 for a Saturday Night Special (bullets extra).

Rhich people could then make sport out of suing and destroying people`s lives. :S

I hope I did not get this right, and that there are some measures one can take to prevent this. [:/]

Is that the situation?

Not exactly but something along those lines. A frivolous charge (and it would have to be fairly obviously frivolous) could end up with the plaintiff having to pay the defendant's legal fess. In particularly egregious cases the attorney who brought the frivolous case could also be sanctioned.

Skydiving lawsuits are particularly susceptible to this reasoning though: You are allowed (in most states) to waive ordinary negligence. You are not allowed to waive gross negligence (as it is against public policy to allow people to do so). The line between ordinary negligence and gross negligence, though, is ssometimes a question of fact for a jury to decide. Iif not that, then at least an area the judge is not familiar enough with all the technical details to dismiss the suit in summary judgment. So, in a lot of cases you will have to go through depositions, pre-trial motions, etc. to even get to a ruling on whether the waiver is valid.

In many cases the problem is not that the waiver won't hold up, but that this is a battle you cannot afford to win. I'm sure one of the lawyers will correct me if I am wrong on these details, I'm not a lawyer but have been involved in a lot of activities and organizations where risk-mitigation was a factor.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

In many cases the problem is not that the waiver won't hold up, but that this is a battle you cannot afford to win.

That`s what shocks me...
Some rich daddy`s little boy sprain an ankle doing tandem and daddy sues everybody at the DZ. Until you prove your innocence as you were manifest/camera/janitor you are 50K short and out on the street.
dudeist skydiver #42

95% of plaintiffs' attorneys will...

As for the 3-5% of plaintiffs' attorneys who might take the case, it's pretty likely that they .

86% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

raff
If you leave the plane without a parachute, you will be fine for the rest of your life.

As for the 3-5% of plaintiffs' attorneys who might take the case, it's pretty likely that they .

86% of all statistics are made up on the spot. raff

Especially if they're made up by people who don't have expertise in what they're talking about. I, on the other hand, have been a litigation attorney for over 25 years, so I really do know what I'm talking about when it comes to my own industry.

That`s what shocks me...
Some rich daddy`s little boy sprain an ankle doing tandem and daddy sues everybody at the DZ. Until you prove your innocence as you were manifest/camera/janitor you are 50K short and out on the street.

That's an exaggeration. It's not quite that simple or easy, and the cost of defending a lawsuit is generally related to the size of the suit.

In order for a case to make to trial, a judge has to review the facts of the case and determine if there's any legal precedence to the case. For example, if I tried to sue my neighbor because they look at my house too much, the case would not make it to trial because there's no law against looking at a house. In your example, a sprained ankle would not be enough of an injury to merit a trial in the face of the waiver, and the general assumption of risk when jumping out of a plane.

Let's say the student could prove negligence led to his broken ankle. In that case, he might get to trial, but all he could recover would be the cost of medical bills and something for 'pain and sufering'. Given that the injury isn't that severe, the monetary reward wouldn't be that large, and there's always the chance that they lsoe the case, and are stuck paying their lawyer on top of their medical bills.

To take it one step further, if such a case did make it to trial, the severity of the injury and size of the judgement their after would make it a very short trial, and keep the legal fees down. If that type of case did arise, you might just offer the guy $3000 or $4000 to settle the case without any of the trial or lawyer bullshit.

What's been discussed in this case is a more significant lawsuit. If a student is injured to a high degree (broken legs/back/coma/paralysis/death) the medical bills alone could top $100,000, $200,000 or $300,000 (or more). On top of that is the pain and siffering, and the loss of income during recovery or maybe the rest of their lives. If you put a guy in a wheelchair and he can't work anymore, he's going to sue you for enough for him to live on for the rest of his life. In those types of cases, with the money involved, your legal bills could top $50,000 just for you to defend yourself.

When the lawwsuit is for $500,000 or $1M, the plantiffs lawyer will do all sorts of work trying to get their cut. If they collect 30%, that's a big chunk of change, and they'll go after it like a rabid dog. On top of that, when the lawsuit is that big, the lawyers will pour on the pressure and push for a settlement. If they're suing you for $1M, and they'll settle for $300,000, the lawyer will pocket $100,000, so you can see why they invest the time and effort, and why it takes an equal amount of time and effort from your lawyer (who is billing you hourly) to defend you.

I was thinking more in general, because of Andy`s comments.

If you're a defendant in any kind of lawsuit, you can be as right as right gets, but if you can't afford the fees for an attorney to defend you, you're buggered right from the start...

...So even if a skydiving defendant wins a Motion for Summary Judgment, he could easily be into more than $50,000 in legal and expert witness fees.

In many cases the problem is not that the waiver won't hold up, but that this is a battle you cannot afford to win.

But OK, I got it.
dudeist skydiver #42

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

86% of all statistics are made up on the spot. raff

Especially if they're made up by people who don't have expertise in what they're talking about. I, on the other hand, have been a litigation attorney for over 25 years, so I really do know what I'm talking about when it comes to my own industry.

You are still making up a statistic and implying a reliablity of that number of +- 5% without quoting any source or study. Regardless of your esteemed litigation career, you are making numbers up. A better way to have said it would be "an overwhelming majority" or "nearly all" thus leaving 'wiggle room'. The precision you used does not stand up to scrutiny.

Just saying. ;)

For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

You are still making up a statistic and implying a reliablity of that number of +- 5% without quoting any source or study. Regardless of your esteemed litigation career, you are making numbers up. A better way to have said it would be "an overwhelming majority" or "nearly all" thus leaving 'wiggle room'. The precision you used does not stand up to scrutiny.

Just saying. ;)

In the absence of a specifically defined variance, I usually assume it's 100%. :D

Blues,
Dave

Edit to add: I haven't completely cut all my liability exposure in skydiving, but I have stepped a long ways back from the "professional" ranks in the last two years, in large part because I like my house. Fewer jumps, more restrictive on weather/students, and I only jump my gear, and I'm the only person who does so.
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Interestingly enough, going through the USPA's new insurance connection, they have found a carrier that says they are willing to underwrite an umbrella policy for me as an individual tandem instructor. Won't write for anyone who is part of a buisness. As an independent contractor they will cover me. Now have to wait and see what the quote is. If it's cost effective (may be a big if) for TI work I'll let everyone know as they seem to be interested in providing this to others.

aren't all TIs that are paid per jump considered independent contractor?

The legal standing of a TI has nothing to do with how they're paid. You can pay an employee 'piece-work', and still have them legally considered an employee. You would take care of their taxes and pay unemployment/SS to the gov on their behalf. The majority of the garment industry is structured that way, with workers being paid for the number of goods they sew.

That aside, most TIs are paid as independent contractors because most DZs don't want the hassles/overhead of actual employees, and most TIs don't want taxes taken out before they get their money. Some pay their taxes, some pay some of their taxes, and some don't pay any taxes at all. It's not legal to short (or ignore) the IRS, but it's impossible to do as an 'employee' with your employer reporting and paying taxes on your behalf.

most TIs are paid as independent contractors

(as an aside) ...the legality of which is very much a grey area. Here's the IRS's thumbnail definition of independent contractor: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179115,00.html ... and here's the IRS definition of common-law employee: http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=179112,00.html

Note the distinction hinges on whether, and to what degree, the DZ retains to itself the right to "control what will be done and how it will be done" (employee), as opposed to controlling only the result of the work, but not how it's performed (contractor).

Note the distinction hinges on whether, and to what degree, the DZ retains to itself the right to "control what will be done and how it will be done" (employee), as opposed to controlling only the result of the work, but not how it's performed (contractor).

That's true, but like a contract, it's only relevant when there's a problem. In the case of DZs, I think that both parties prefer to operate as contractors/contractes, so if push comes to shove, they'll catagorize their relationship however they need to make the gov boys happy.

You could also make the argument that the work is performed to the standards of the USPA and the manufacturer, not neccesarily the DZ. Just like the plumber and electritian perform their work to the local building codes, with the contractee just being concerned that the lights will turn on and the toilets will flush.

It's all academic, of course, because DZs are hubs of under-the-table payments and illegal immigrant labor anyway.