1 1
brocc69

Unprofessional behavior caught on video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZy_qHjvnl4&feature=related

Here is another one for the list. Hand cam footage isn't worth the effort. TI busy doing handsignals that the woman is nuts. A crap landing that results in broken bones.

It appears that his final turn is possibly abit on the low side? (wouldn't mind hearing an opinion on that)

It does look like a "lower" turn, that he tried to "save" with inadequate in put in the end.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The hand signal might be "she's nuts" but might also be an attempt be show "we're shooting a film" (think of the old movie cameras with a hand-operated winder), I dunno. But since it can be misunderstood, not the best one.

It reads "mum will lose some pounds" or something. Well, she isn't the slimmest person, but if you look closely she lifts her legs on landing. Not a perfect 90° lift, but in a way half of my students do. The TI doesn't pull the toggles down to full stretch and together with his "swoop turn" style landing this might have caused the way they hit the ground. If he had flared a little earlier the forward speed had been reduced and exchanged for some more lift. Just my 2c, not a statement an ambulance chaser might use.
The sky is not the limit. The ground is.

The Society of Skydiving Ducks

From the position of the camera we can conclude that he never went back to full flight out of the turn prior to landing. Not a wise thing to do with an extremely overweight passenger.

Edited to add: What is most unprofessional in this day and age is allowing this sort of footage leave the premises. Just refund the jump (or the camerafee) Don't get caught with your pants down on youtube

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

While I would agree to a degree with your edit IMHO we need to take it a few steps backs to the front door. Not every person on the planet needs to or should be making a tandem skydive, from extremely overweight land whales, The disabled, the very old, kids etc.

Just because you let the PAX H out to the stops and stuff them into it don't mean it's a good idea to go for it. Sometimes being a professional means saying no! But often greed wins out and up they go.

How much did the unprofessional actions of a TM, GM, DZO, S&TA in Ohio cost Strong? At least a million if not more.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

While I would agree to a degree with your edit IMHO we need to take it a few backs to the front door. Not every person on the planet needs to or should be making a tandem skydive, from extremely overweight land whales, The disabled, the very old, kids etc.

Just because you let the PAX H out to the stops and stuff them into it don't mean it's a good idea to go for it. Sometimes being a professional means saying no! But often greed wins out and up they go.

How much did the unprofessional actions of a TM, DZ GM, DZO, in Ohio cost Strong? At least a million if not more.

Unprofessional behavior can be stopped any where in the chain. Unsafe acts can be stopped that way too. In Ohio, that didn't happen, just one of those chains being broken may have made the out come of the jump far better.

Matt

I think he could have gotten away with it but since he didn't he was indeed in the wrong place @ the wrong time. It must have been one of my brighter moments when I decided that I needed an extra paragraph in my business terms and conditions that gave me and every individual TI working for me the leeway to refuse service to anyone without an obligation to explain our reasons.
Saved my day a couple of times, even while disappointing a customer. Of course such a decision is not taken lightly and there is money involved.
However, if you get it wrong there can be a lot more money involved!

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Making the " my passenger is crazy for jumping out of an airplane" sign doesn't seem too unprofessional to me.

Unless you have jumped tandem with 250# or more hanging from your uppers, you won't know what it's like to get good solid video ( handcam ) and make a decent flare with almost 500# hanging from a 400 sq.ft. canopy.

That is why students sign waivers and are given the respect they deserve to make decisions on there own to do things like eat a big juicy cheeseburger, smoke a cigarette, or jump out of an airplane. All of which are likely to hurt or kill you eventually.
Overkill is under rated.

Making the " my passenger is crazy for jumping out of an airplane" sign doesn't seem too unprofessional to me.

Unless you have jumped tandem with 250# or more hanging from your uppers, you won't know what it's like to get good solid video ( handcam ) and make a decent flare with almost 500# hanging from a 400 sq.ft. canopy.

That is why students sign waivers and are given the respect they deserve to make decisions on there own to do things like eat a big juicy cheeseburger, smoke a cigarette, or jump out of an airplane. All of which are likely to hurt or kill you eventually.

Just to be 100% clear. My observation/criticism of hand-cam footage is generic. I have no idea if that person paid for the footage, but with that kind of footage it would be a disappointment to a client. Stick with an outside video - in my view.

On the 'my pax is crazy' I guess our different viewpoints just reflect different cultures and backgrounds. Personally I find it mildly offensive.

Just to be 100% clear. My observation/criticism of hand-cam footage is generic. I have no idea if that person paid for the footage, but with that kind of footage it would be a disappointment to a client. Stick with an outside video - in my view.

On the 'my pax is crazy' I guess our different viewpoints just reflect different cultures and backgrounds. Personally I find it mildly offensive.

I think the only acceptable use of hand cam is to incorporate that footage in with the footage made by a separate cameraman to make it more like something that would be seen on TV with multiple camera angles. If I were to be a new Tandem customer, I would be insulted by a hand cam ONLY video, and I don't send my first jump referrals to certain DZ's that ONLY use hand cams.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

think the only acceptable use of hand cam is to incorporate that footage in with the footage made by a separate cameraman to make it more like something that would be seen on TV with multiple camera angles. If I were to be a new Tandem customer, I would be insulted by a hand cam ONLY video, and I don't send my first jump referrals to certain DZ's that ONLY use hand cams.

Maybe a passenger doesn't want to pay the additional 50 plus for outside video?

Maybe a dzo wants the outside video slots for more tandems...:ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I don't care what anyone says, that hand cam shit is garbage and is just a way for DZO's to make more profit and put out and inferior product! Maybe be ok to use it to enhance the outside video, but that's all it's good for.
There will be no addressing the customers as "Bitches", "Morons" or "Retards"!

I call bullshit. Handicam provide some AWESOME video!
I am not personally a fan of it, but I can't see how you can say it is useless...
EDIT - YES it is best as an addendum to the outside video, but it can be great video in and of itself...

As for me and my house, we will serve the LORD...

I don't care what anyone says, that hand cam shit is garbage and is just a way for DZO's to make more profit and put out and inferior product! Maybe be ok to use it to enhance the outside video, but that's all it's good for.

Good for you. Some still understand that a video is a compliment to the skydiving experience. We are skydiving center not video centers, many dropzones with only 182 can't give up the slots for outside video. You would rather there be no video or half the number of jumps?
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Good for you. Some still understand that a video is a compliment to the skydiving experience. We are skydiving center not video centers, many dropzones with only 182 can't give up the slots for outside video. You would rather there be no video or half the number of jumps?

You just made the "Money over quality" argument.

Hand cam has it's place, as a edit to outside video which carries the production and as a cheap low quality alternative, lets not pump it up to be more than it is.

As a side:
Hand Cam needs to be done within "the rules". Manufacturers want handles checked on EACH and EVERY Tandem, so do it T-I's! And no more youtube Mal videos where you hold frame the whole time and HOPE the RSL does your job for you! If anyone is one of those T-I's they should be suspended till re-attending a Ratings Course and RE-EARNING your rating!

Matt

All the altimeter points are moot now as USPA has abandoned Tandem Parachuting as a legitimate form of Instruction.

What exactly does this mean ?

The poster posted a list of Tandems made with the Student not wearing an Altimeter.

The USPA BOD voted to no longer require an Altimeter be worn or even visible for the Student. Essentially giving in to the "Tandem Mills" desire to "Hang Meat" and "make Bank", while not Instructing.

That make Tandem Jumps, in the USPA realm, carnival rides and not Instructional.

Matt

My two manufacturer tandem manuals, which predate the FAA legalization of tandem and the USPA tandem rating, both explicitly state the student altimeter is optional on the first jump, and says they "should start to use an altimeter [on the second jump] if not already doing so" and that "use of the altimeter can begin on the first or second jump".
A copy of the 1988 SIM BSRs that fell through a freak wormhole states the only jumpers required to wear an altimeter were AFF students and J/Ms.

So, the manufacturers didn't require student altimeters. USPA didn't require them (assumption on my part for before AFF was approved by USPA), then added them for AFF, then for all students, then removed it for tandem students.

Doesn't seem to support the argument that USPA is giving in to tandem mills. Rather, it seems to me that many tandem "students" would rather focus more on the view than on the altimeter. Unless you spend significant time doing dive flow, many aren't going to remember to check it anyway. As a TI, I always offered it as part of progression when I knew it was the student's second or later jump.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

It's funny that you are not counting the videographer's slot as a jump.

I'd prefer a quality product for the customer. So, yes....half the jumps.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

The USPA BOD eliminated the requirement that "tandem students had access to a visual altimeter".

Apparently this was done because some DZ's chose to consider "access to a visual altimeter" to mean an altimeter ON the student, and some simply that they could see the instructors altimeter.

This led to a question among the RD's about how the rule should be enforced, leading in some form of strange wisdom to the elimination of the rule.

Currently AFAIK there is NO USPA requirement to have an altimeter of any type, any where, on any participant on a tandem skydive.

And yeah, I've seen I's that are doing just that because it strokes their egos.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Straps look far to long to me, leaving her hanging far below, (even in freefall) just one more link in the chain!

The pasanger harness main lift web is way to loose (biggest contributing factor) for that size pax + bad set up and to much togle imput after finals resluting in minimal lift on landing. i dont think landing a tandem on a pea pit is a good idea unless theres enough wind to do a stand up landing.
All wings are safe - until their given to pilots

Straps look far to long to me, leaving her hanging far below, (even in freefall) just one more link in the chain!

The pasanger harness main lift web is way to loose (biggest contributing factor) for that size pax + bad set up and to much togle imput after finals resluting in minimal lift on landing. i dont think landing a tandem on a pea pit is a good idea unless theres enough wind to do a stand up landing.

Taking a very heavy, out of shape person on a tandem truly increases the likelihood of a bad landing. Having them so far below in the harness doesn't help and landing in the gravel is an opportunity to dig in and flip.

Taking obese people usually ends up with them sinking in the straps no matter how tight you get them. You can have them stand on your feet after opening and tighten the uppers... I have most people holding there legs up for landing with hands under the knees. Explain the risk of leg injury when they demonstrate the position under canopy. This also gives me and idea of just how capable they are.

Pea grave or soft ground really isin't the optimum landing area for the slide in. Nice grass on a flat solid surface would have kept that landing from flipping....