1 1
brocc69

Unprofessional behavior caught on video

Then let HIM pay for it! ;)

but if you ask that TM, he'll likely say he's trying to give the student a really fun video for their money (his opinion)

camera and TM have got to talk to each other so they can try to get that best shot for the customer's wall. I wonder how often, one or the other just asks the customer directly, "do want us to ham it up for your video and pics, or do you like "this" kind of picture (point at the wall shot) that's more normal." then note that it's not guaranteed, but they'll do their best to deliver it

the video is great for the next few weeks for the customer. But what they really keep forever is that one 'perfect' still picture that they want on their wall.

We had a friend in a mascot costume kind of in the background of a lot of tandem videos one weekend day - harmless and a lot of fun. But in two of them, it was staged for a jumper to get in there and beat on the 'mascot' in the background. One customer thought it was hilarious and loved it - the other one, it was hard to tell......each customer is different - it should be easiest to ask I'd think.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

That is when you go to the dzo and say I will no longer do videos of said asshole, if the dzo has a problem with you refusing to take part in piss poor marketing of their dz then they are a fucking moron and you should move on anyway.

Too many dzo's turn a blind eye to that crap when it's on the ground or the truly busy one's may not see it that much. When it's in the air they will never see unless they check out the videos from time to time.

Video production for dz is the best damn marketing you can invest in as a dzo, each and every one is a commercial for your operation, the consumer is not stupid as you point out they ask WTF is he doing? Or if you watch videos where the camera flyer filps upside down, look over at grandma and she will be trying turn upside down too.... It's the same thing.

When people are paying the kind of money we charge then they should get a product the reflects the price tag. Utube is full of some really REALLY REALLY shitty tandem videos!

Here we are in 2011 and I just saw a dz not far from me who sold a video with two rewinds of a tape based camera on the end product.... that means you see the tape marks in the recording of the rewinding camera, this was done on exit and landing so they could do a slo-mo.

Talk about fucking retarded! It proves some dzo's don't care, or are tight asses and won't spend a few grand to do it right and do it faster on top of using clowns for instructors and video flyers.... then you have the class acts in the business and it shows on each and every dz commercial that walks out the door.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

This thread makes me nervous about my first tandem. I hope I get a fun but respectful TI!

I'm sure I speak for a lot of newcomers in saying that someone who is disrespectful and patronising on the ground prior is going to lose my trust before any altitude is applied. Then to jump out of a plane and place your life in that persons hands is a BIG negative.

The perfect tandem instructor to me will be happy to have me there. Answer any plethora of questions, go through everything clearly and be focused. Keep me safe and show me what it's truely like to skydive. I don't want someone who's trying to organise lunch with his jump friends, can't really be bothered today I feel he's obliged to treat me however he fancies during intro stuff. Afterall if I enjoy it I'll be back for more!

Unfortunately the memo regarding how freekin' short life is didn't get to everyone in this beautiful world. Some people are happy to just be and smile with anyone and everyone they meet, some are not. I guess that's always the gamble with meeting someone new.

The people we are talking about you most likely will not run into or not even know it's going on, mostly due to your nerves and everything going on that day. Bottom line is your the one paying the bill and if you get an asshole then speak up to the business owner or manager, your the customer you call the shots in who your willing to risk life & death with.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

in reply to "This thread makes me nervous about my first tandem. I hope I get a fun but respectful TI! "

Shop around, go for a look first and see what they're like. If they're idiots, it will be more obvious if you haven't committed to a jump yet.

BTW its great when you see a first time jumper stand up to an unpro self appointed skygod.
Usually makes my day.B|

For example, after local TI fondled the breasts of a twenty-ish Saudi woman, she said: "If he did that in my country, my father would have him killed!"

Might get him get killed in this country by the father of my daughters. That's not cool at all.:|

Talk is cheap...

And so are bullets! ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Rap is to music what etch-a-sketch is to art.

We (cameramen) are hired to make the "student" the Star, not ourselves, not the TM or I's , TM's should treat it the same way!

I agree, and really don't like it when the camera guy geeks the camera in the students video. They're not paying to see our ugly mugs any more than they have to!

I agree to a point, which is that different students might want different things in their videos. I look at it more that it is a cameraperson's job to "capture the EXPERIENCE of that first time jumper's first skydive." Of course they should be the star, but the videographer IS a part of that experience, ugly or not. I have students request that I'm in front of the camera for some of their video all the time. I think a real professional should adapt and overcome.

Utube is full of some really REALLY REALLY shitty tandem videos!

makes me wonder how some people get gigs as a video person. i guess at some dzs they let anyone dumb enough to strap a bunch of snag points on their head do video

Along with behavior, I think it's important to look professional as well. Don't show up to work as a cameraman/TI looking like you just got out of bed or smelling like the booze you drank last night or like weed. And for camera guys, have a professional looking camera set up, and get a ring sight if you lose people out of frame occasionally

get a ring sight if you lose people out of frame occasionally

Some camera flyers make the decision not to use a ring sight because of the additional snag hazard. Making the decision not to use one based on safety considerations should not lead to the inference that a camera flyer is "unprofessional".

DZ.com member Piisfish has an Incidents thread (and video) of a main/ringsight entanglement that led to his Cypres saving his life. http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2179797;search_string=a%20scary%20malfunction;#2179797 The video is linked at post #129.

This whole thread is describing some shit like them fuckers over at the sLyride DZ in Waverly does!

TI Picks a booger in plane during climb to altitude;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZE_yCJD6to

TI plays with chewing gum in free fall just before pull time;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KL4_PCTofI

Tandem students do not have an altimeter in any of these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQiEB5_XCrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX14dQ_osw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT6c9Av2UFI

This one may not be TI misconduct accept for the student not having an altimeter, it demonstrates that the sLyride scam is alive and well. These people drove from Indiana to Waverly to skydive. Listen to them being interviewed before gearing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWWka3F2kIg&feature=related
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

This whole thread is describing some shit like them fuckers over at the sLyride DZ in Waverly does!

TI Picks a booger in plane during climb to altitude;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZE_yCJD6to

TI plays with chewing gum in free fall just before pull time;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KL4_PCTofI

Tandem students do not have an altimeter in any of these videos.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQiEB5_XCrA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX14dQ_osw8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT6c9Av2UFI

This one may not be TI misconduct accept for the student not having an altimeter, it demonstrates that the sLyride scam is alive and well. These people drove from Indiana to Waverly to skydive. Listen to them being interviewed before gearing up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWWka3F2kIg&feature=related

All the altimeter points are moot now as USPA has abandoned Tandem Parachuting as a legitimate form of Instruction.

All the other points, those are for the Manufacturers and USPA to continue to ignore.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

I have had a partical camera man flick the boogie at my student in freefall at SSM. He no longer works there. All in all we have a very professional staff at SkyDive San Marcos that treats customers with respect! This goes for the video guys as well as the instructors. FYI Connie Krusi will be taking her ten thousandt tandem student on a jump jump soon. I believe a young man named Vic Krusi will be riding front seat:ph34r:

FYI Connie Krusi will be taking her ten thousandt tandem student on a jump jump soon. I believe a young man named Vic Krusi will be riding front seat:ph34r:

You go girl! Show the guys how it's done!

During freefall put your tongue into Vic's ear. Just don't let it get on video. That would be unprofessional.
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

As a TI and or camera flyer I think we tend to get bored doing the same thing jump after jump and in an effort to keep the energy up and make things interesting we try new angles.

Unfortunately, reinventing the wheel here is a slippery slope. Not everyone wants the TI to play with his gum, cover there eyes in free fall ( they did just spend hundreds of dollars on this jump and I am not covering there eyes for even one second ) or have the video guy spin the camera 360 every time he turns it on or off. Also, pulling out these moves on a corcky twenty year old might be more acceptable than a checking it off the list sixty year old. It's called tact.

I have fought the urge to try new things for the camera several times. Normally after careful consideration I decide not to do it or I save it for a friends jump or re currency dive.

There is also the preconceived notion that we are skydivers and this is all expected behavior.
Overkill is under rated.

As a TI and or camera flyer I think we tend to get bored doing the same thing jump after jump and in an effort to keep the energy up and make things interesting we try new angles

I have fought the urge to try new things for the camera several times. Normally after careful consideration I decide not to do it or I save it for a friends jump or re currency dive

While TIs and camera flyers may be bored with doing the same thing over and over, the paying customer is doing it for the first time and they deserve the 'best' out of all the 'professional' jumpers they hired to make the jump possible.

With that in mind, there's a degree of 'wiggle room' in there. When a frat-boy shows up for a tandem, and wants to jump shirtless because he's got something written on his chest, that jump might allow for a little more 'creative' behavior than others. Even then, it needs to be respectful, and complimentary to the customer, but you be able to have a little more 'fun'.

Overall, the idea should be for all involved to work on their 'craft', with that being conducting a safe jump, providing an enjoyable experience to the customer, and delivering a professional product that shows the customer in a positive light. At the end of the day, the customers are the reasons we're all spending the day getting paid to jump, and for that they deserve a certain level of respect.

All the altimeter points are moot now as USPA has abandoned Tandem Parachuting as a legitimate form of Instruction.

What exactly does this mean ?

The poster posted a list of Tandems made with the Student not wearing an Altimeter.

The USPA BOD voted to no longer require an Altimeter be worn or even visible for the Student. Essentially giving in to the "Tandem Mills" desire to "Hang Meat" and "make Bank", while not Instructing.

That make Tandem Jumps, in the USPA realm, carnival rides and not Instructional.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

The ASA uses tandems as an advancing structure for learning students and aff directions - it also crosses back to solo jumping with manufactoring and study systems - it will always be moving forwards- look at europe - and freeflying -

Having something never beats doing (>|<)
Iam building things - Iam working on my mind- I am going to change this world - its what I came here 4- - -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZy_qHjvnl4&feature=related

Here is another one for the list. Hand cam footage isn't worth the effort. TI busy doing handsignals that the woman is nuts. A crap landing that results in broken bones.

It appears that his final turn is possibly abit on the low side? (wouldn't mind hearing an opinion on that)