1 1
brocc69

Unprofessional behavior caught on video

Am I the only TI/Video editor out there that has noticed a very disturbing trend? By that statement, let me explain a bit. I take my job as an instructor quite serious, I still have a bit of fun with students, but not to the point of making the student appear as total friggin idiot. Especially when taking video.
I've increasingly noticed a bunch of TI's acting in what I would call very poor taste. They take video of themselves licking brows, picking boogers & rubbing them off on the student's back, etc. In general, disrespecting potential skydivers. The worse part is they are sending the dvd home with the student with them acting "cute". Not even thinking about how that video may embarrass the student in front of their friends. Or even worse, other potential students that will take a look and not show because they don't want to be treated that way.
Maybe I'm over reacting because I don't get the next generation of jumpers' way of seeing things.
But the way I was brought up in this sport was very simple. You treat everyone with respect. Period!
As an instructor, shouldn't you act as a professional?
Well, it's a good thing I EDIT most of that crap out of their vids in the hope to save face.
Whew...Glad I got that off my chest!

Am I the only TI/Video editor out there that has noticed a very disturbing trend? By that statement, let me explain a bit. I take my job as an instructor quite serious, I still have a bit of fun with students, but not to the point of making the student appear as total friggin idiot. Especially when taking video.
I've increasingly noticed a bunch of TI's acting in what I would call very poor taste. They take video of themselves licking brows, picking boogers & rubbing them off on the student's back, etc. In general, disrespecting potential skydivers. The worse part is they are sending the dvd home with the student with them acting "cute". Not even thinking about how that video may embarrass the student in front of their friends. Or even worse, other potential students that will take a look and not show because they don't want to be treated that way.
Maybe I'm over reacting because I don't get the next generation of jumpers' way of seeing things.
But the way I was brought up in this sport was very simple. You treat everyone with respect. Period!
As an instructor, shouldn't you act as a professional?
Well, it's a good thing I EDIT most of that crap out of their vids in the hope to save face.
Whew...Glad I got that off my chest!

That's something you might see a grade school student do. Definitely not behavior expected from an adult. I agree with you. That is not the least bit "cute".
"For you see, an airplane is an airplane. A landing area is a landing area. But a dropzone... a dropzone is the people."

The problem is that what one generation finds funny, another generation might find rude, dis-respectful or - at worse - obscene!
Even worse when you are training tourists, who come from a variety of countries with vastly different social norms.
For example, after local TI fondled the breasts of a twenty-ish Saudi woman, she said: "If he did that in my country, my father would have him killed!"

The challenge is to make videos boring enough that twenty-year-olds are entertained, but grandma is not offended.

For example, after local TI fondled the breasts of a twenty-ish Saudi woman, she said: "If he did that in my country, my father would have him killed!"

This DZ hiring? :D:D:D:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

We (cameramen) are hired to make the "student" the Star, not ourselves, not the TM or I's , TM's should treat it the same way!

I agree, and really don't like it when the camera guy geeks the camera in the students video. They're not paying to see our ugly mugs any more than they have to!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

in reply to "We (cameramen) are hired to make the "student" the Star, not ourselves, not the TM or I's ,"

It is possible if the TM and camera person work well together, to make the TM almost anonymous and semi-invisible.

Some of the best tandem videos I've seen make it look the TM is just part of the equipment.

It is the passengers special day , often the achievement of a life long dream, something not to be messed with by unpro bozos.

As for the titty touchers .......name and shame.

Some of the best tandem videos I've seen make it look the TM is just part of the equipment.

Sounds like a pretty crappy video to me. A good video should show the TI enjoying taking his passenger skydiving.
I agree with all the comments about making fun of the customer. It wouldn't be accepted in any other industry. Joking with the passenger fine, making fun of them on a video that they are paying big bucks for not so cool.

Whooo Guy. you got my post completely wrong. First off, I carefully edited all offensive material out! Our customer was completely satisfied with the end product! My bitch is about the unprofessional behavior that I witnessed plus the time I had to take to edit it out!
I totally agree with you that it is about the student, not the ti. If you ever seen any of my vids on youtube you'd know that.
The student's safety & confidence always comes first!
Hell, I always edit out when I get puked on by them! It don't look good for either of us!
All I'm asking for is a little decorum. It doesn't hurt.
"You are a professional in your field, act as though you have done this before!"
quote from my dad(God rest his soul)

It is not just on video. People do damage all the time without thinking.

A little while ago I was sitting at the dz chatting to a mate who was swearing. I didn't notice the swearing or the kids sitting behind us, but it offended a tandem passenger who asked us not to swear in front of kids. We tend to forget that people come from really diverse backgrounds and that while jumping is in progress it is wise to behave appropriately.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

A little while ago I was sitting at the dz chatting to a mate who was swearing. I didn't notice the swearing or the kids sitting behind us, but it offended a tandem passenger who asked us not to swear in front of kids. We tend to forget that people come from really diverse backgrounds and that while jumping is in progress it is wise to behave appropriately.

Good for them! I wish more would do the same!

Although we all slip occasionally, it's the inconsiderate bozos who cause the problems.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Good for them! I wish more would do the same!

Although we all slip occasionally, it's the inconsiderate bozos who cause the problems.

I agree. I do wonder how much word of mouth business is lost as a result of the crass behaviour during business hours. After hours is totally different - no problem there.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

there are pros and there are just guys that do tandems for the money

the 2nd group seem, IMO, to just have the opinion that the jumps is for them and the passenger is just along on "their" ride

pros also need to watch how they act on the ground too, BTW

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

I have seen this behavior time and time again. It is rude to treat customers this way. One of the main reasons I got my AFF was because of the way current instructors were behaving toward female students. It is a shame that professionals act like kindergarteners!

I personally don't invite certain friends to the dz. Some of my friends would not appreciate the language, dress or other behaviors of some skydivers.

We want to be respected by law enforcement personnel, politicians, FAA, etc.. but we don't command respect in our behavior!

Staff does so many jumps they get bored and have to find ways to entertain themselves. The jokes get used a lot and they get old, but the joke is not for the pleasure of the student, the joke is for the pleasure of the staff.

People (in many industries) tend to forget.... it's not actually about them. It's about the customer.

It's about the customer.

It's about the customer.

It's about the customer.

But if no one is at the top reminding them of that every day, then it (can) grows more and more outrageous.

That is so true!

Also some of this is on the video person, I've done it (video) for 15 years, if your really doing your job with the camera, then you would not allow that on your tape.

In the past I have had to stop more then once and move my students away from asshats doing and saying stupid shit in the foreground & background, I've had to stop interviews and rerecord it because of the very stuff the OP is talking about.....

WHY?

Because it's not professional! And it adds a great deal of work to edit out the stupid shit wasting my time to be earning additional money by moving on to the next one. I have had to go to DZO's and say I will no longer work with some TI's because of this stuff.

Point is, it's not just TI who is acting unprofessional in this shit if this stuff is ending up on the editing floor.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Staff does so many jumps they get bored and have to find ways to entertain themselves. The jokes get used a lot and they get old, but the joke is not for the pleasure of the student, the joke is for the pleasure of the staff.

People (in many industries) tend to forget.... it's not actually about them. It's about the customer.

It's about the customer.

It's about the customer.

It's about the customer.

But if no one is at the top reminding them of that every day, then it (can) grows more and more outrageous.

+1, TK. Staffers aren't there to entertain themselves. Some don't seem to get that.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

How about this.

I've filmed a couple of TIs who, after getting the drouge out, spend the entire time doing googy stuff such as:

Folding his arms and laying his head on the top of the student's head as if he fell asleep and then suddenly waking up and trying to look surprised.

He also keeps covering his own eyes with his hands and then suddenly takes them away and again looks surprised. (just like peek-a-boo) He sometimes does this to the tandem student.

There is one TI who does this on every jump and he does it nonstop. When you do tandems from 8,000 feet it's a real challenge to get a handful of pictures that look normal enough that the student would want to frame one.

We often let the student, family and friends watch the video after it's been edited. When they ask "What's that guy doing?" I just respond "He thinks the video is about him."
Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.