svst

Anone have IAD experience using an otter?

Well I was in a IAD class @ a dz that was changing over from S/L to IAD and we were flying a caravan not an otter, same door so.... anyway after a couple drops one guy let a student out and threw the PC late so the bridal and PC ended up in front of the student, who took notice of that and, well grabbed it and held it in a fetal POS and was well on his way to firing a cypres when he let it go and as the main was coming out the reserve fired, he had two out and chopped the main from a biplane and almost caused a double mal...

The DZO who was watching all of this from the ground put an instance stop to any IAD change over, so I didn't get to finish the class by dropping my two people.

While I've seen it done, it seems to be no big deal as long as you get a good PC toss low and behind like any other drop.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

I have done tons of IAD jumpmaster jumps from cessnas but have no Otter experience. Anyone have any tips? Any abnormal worries using an otter? Thanks

After experiencing a number of both static line and IAD students from Caravan/Otter type doors, I have come to the conclusion that having the student sit in the door is best. Try to get them to face forward with only their right butt cheek on the floor.

The disadvantage to this is that the wind will hit their legs and try to turn them toward the back, but the instructor can help keep them in position. The obvious advantage is that the pilot chute is well below the tail.

A squatting exit facing forward like an AFF exit is nice, but only if the student performs very well. If they don't, the wind will catch the left side of their body first and rotate them into some very ugly positions.

Our results were not great. The percentage of people who arched was particularly poor compared to a Cessna exit.

To add to that: Compared to a standard 182 exit, that sounds right. But compared to a rear door 206 exit with a similar sitting on the edge position, maybe not that much worse. If so, probably from extra airspeed while trying to sit properly in the door.

But I'm not sure since I haven't watched many of those type of exits on 206's and Caravans. (and they were static line not IAD).

Agreed!

The Otter exit is similar to a cargo-door Cessna 206.

I have only dispatched a handful of IAD students from Twin Otters. That was during an IAD Jump-master Course in California City. Course Conductor - Bob Celaya - said "Rob, you probably know more about IADs than I do."

Before the door opened, I made sure that my right hand was firmly griping their pilot-chute and right lateral strap.
I just stuck to my usual routine of telling them to sit (with only one cheek) on the door sill and look up to where the strut meets the wing.
My left hand "steadied" their right shoulder.
Depending upon how graceful the student was, I often "assisted" them with facing into the wind and "assisted" them in "placing" their shoulders square to the wind.
Other than that, I focussed on watching their last cheek leave the plane, so I would know when to "place" the pilot-chute in free air, just above their right shoulder.
Alternately, you can "place" the pilot-chute between their elbow and knee.
If you "place" the pilot-chute correctly, the relative wind makes it disappear far too fast for any student to grab it.
Finally, remember to "place" the pilot-chute low, preferrably below the door sill.

I got my IAD-I ticket at The Ranch. As I jump at a Cessna DZ the idea was to get certified from their Cessna but it was their 30th anniversary and the pilot was busy flying Otter loads so it was either doing it from the Otter or waiting for the end of the boogie. I was running out of time so I did it from the otter.
What I did was practice like hell with the mock up untill I understood perfectly the mechanics of the exit and my student new exactly what I wanted from him. Then we climbed the otter and when I told him to get out he promptly did and let go! Having practiced in the mock up, I was ready enough to put the pc into clear air with no problems.
I guess it´s just like any new exit; I want to have it figured out before we´re inside and ready to jump

Happy Landings, Rafael