JSE

Online First Jump Course

Personally I like it. It is a natural way to learn for most folks nowdays. People want information so they turn to the web.

Having jumped with people who went thru Jen's course I think it an option who's time has come. That said, Jen was my Coach Course I/E but I don't jump at her DZ very much. She is an excellent teacher and even though I was not familiar with her on-line FJC at the time, she explained it and then we incorporated the instructional elements of the method into our coach course.

I am very familiar with the LZ picture and the dry erase in the video:)
My FJC there was about six hours. I have a good outline I can do it in less time depending on the number of students but Jen's method here really makes the time much more productive.

I know there are going to be those totally opposed but it's not much different than picking up a SIM, or god forbid doing what folks do here, trying to learn to skydive on Dizzy.com The big diffenence is it only goes so far, and it's structured for both the self study student and the instructor.

It's called the Hillbilly Hop N Pop dude.
If you're gonna be stupid, you better be tough.
That's fucked up. Watermelons do not grow on trees! ~Skymama

Not bad for a beta version. Needs someone to do an in-depth proof read and edit.

I don't agree with the apparent KISS principle for EPs with the options in fine print at the bottom.

It's something I can point new students to for a general idea of things.

And bejeezuz...old-school terminology!
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Not sure why they included packing for a First Jump Course video, but I do like the interactive nature of the graphics.

Whether it would be useful in the real world where there are a lot of subtle differences in instruction is another question.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Not sure why they included packing for a First Jump Course video, but I do like the interactive nature of the graphics.

Whether it would be useful in the real world where there are a lot of subtle differences in instruction is another question.

Maybe we can get folks back to packing if we show it to them in the beginning? Maybe it will help in the over all knowledge of gear?

I know, a stab in the dark.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Maybe we can get folks back to packing if we show it to them in the beginning? Maybe it will help in the over all knowledge of gear?

I know, a stab in the dark.

Matt

I second that. Having packed tandems for over a year before getting my tandem rating helped me enormously in learning about the gear. Most students I see are learning to pack at jump 20, sometimes even later.

Maybe promoting packing earlier will help general gear knowledge and trust....something that seems to be lacking more and more nowadays.
"Are you coming to the party?
Oh I'm coming, but I won't be there!"
Flying Hellfish #828
Dudist #52

IMO, (as a recent student), I like it a lot. It is good to have a comprehensive presentation (with illustrations, video, simulations, etc.) of the material that one can use to review and relearn. I can't speak for others, but for me the course was a lot of material covered in a relatively short period of time, and much forgotten right after "learned". A one stop review place available online would have been very helpful.

Had it been available prior to my course, I would have gone through it as much as I could before taking my real course, and would have used it as a resource for review. Hopefully the opinion of the instructors here is that the information and techniques are universal enough not to conflict (at least substantially conflict) with how the material is taught in most of the DZ ground schools.

Unfortunately my former DZ does no have a PC or books students for class so they teach the FCJ old school with the SIM and a chalk board, (stable fall frog modified anyone?).

Thank god I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!

Awesome reference.
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19

I got my license at Skydive Kansas with Jen. I think they way she runs her training program is amazing. The online ground school really helped me to overcome my gear fear I initially had while jumping. I packed my first aff jump and was cleared to pack unsupervised around jump 12. I am a hands on and visual learner. Having the pictures/videos was vital to me not losing currency (or more so fluency in the sport) when I couldn't make it out to the DZ. It helped to keep procedures/equipment/technique fresh in my mind simply by getting on my computer. I think in the end currency is one of the most important factors in mitigating risk when training. For me, it was a great system. Could there be improvements? Like anything else, sure. Is it the best online training I have come across? Yes.

Addressing other peoples concerns about gear knowledge being taught too early. Instilling strong gear knowledge/safety fundamentals can't be a bad thing. I personally check and replace my closing loop more often than is probably needed. This is going to sound a little strange, but I actually really enjoy packing B|.

Cheers

Stearny

Maybe we can get folks back to packing if we show it to them in the beginning? Maybe it will help in the over all knowledge of gear? I know, a stab in the dark. Matt

I second that. Having packed tandems for over a year before getting my tandem rating helped me enormously in learning about the gear. Most students I see are learning to pack at jump 20, sometimes even later.

Maybe promoting packing earlier will help general gear knowledge and trust....something that seems to be lacking more and more nowadays.

Agree. At my first DZ, back when we all learned via S/L, you jumped your own pack job no later than your first freefall (usually jump #6). No reason why learning to pack can't be at least an informal requirement to graduate from either type of training program today.

Agree..... No reason why learning to pack can't be at least an informal requirement to graduate from either type of training program today.

...because instructors concentrate solely on freefall skills and not much else. They don't get paid for teaching packing....or EPs....or anything other than in-air.
[:/]

Yeas, yes, not every instructor is like that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Great Job Jen!

Informative, yet not overwhelming. It works as an introduction and a review tool.

My son will soon be 15 and he is interested in learning. I never pushed him about the sport and have let him develop his own interest. I let him review your FJC and I was amazed at the relevant and educated questions that he asked. Sometimes the best tool is the one that promotes questions that lead to a greater understanding. I am teaching a FJC tomorrow and will refer students to view your course after they leave and before they jump again. So much nicer than a book to read!
Jenn:)