DSE

Small Format camera/AFF

This is becoming an epedemic,...

It's not a question of if, it's just a question of when,...

And like another DZ.com user says, "just because everyone is doing it, dosen't make it right..."

Monkey see monkey do, and somehow hanging fishhooks off your skull is an accepted practice???

Like I said, it's just a question of when....
:ph34r:

C

But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

This is becoming an epedemic,...

It's not a question of if, it's just a question of when,...

And like another DZ.com user says, "just because everyone is doing it, dosen't make it right..."

Monkey see monkey do, and somehow hanging fishhooks off your skull is an accepted practice???

Like I said, it's just a question of when....
:ph34r:

C

Same argument applies to skydiving in general. Guess skydiving should be banned since the yearly fatalities are already on record.

Another Chicken Little argument.
What if the Bible had been written by Stephen King?

There are mounts for the go pro that prevent anything from catching under the camera. This is also a simple solution.

Got anything for Go-Pro that minimizes the potential for entanglement...say, a fully enclosed box like what we used to see for top and side mount?

Someone mentioned the side mount camera, but I have seen that snag as well.

Again, enclosed top/side box nearly eliminates the problem. It's all about reducing risk to as near zero as you can.

Obviously the safe way to go is no cameras at all, but the quality of the de-briefs suffer for it.

The quality of the debrief does not come from the camera although it could enhance it. The quality comes from the AFFI and his powers of observation, memory and analytical skill.
If one depends on video for debriefs, maybe you should re-think that.

1. He should have spent the money on a proper, no snag mount for the go pro.

Yes, sir! It should be a fully enclosed box or better.

2. He should move backwards while holding the harness to minimize the burble and give room for the student to throw.

Incorrect. In a nutshell, for the throw out, his main-side job at pull time is to:
- avoid disrupting student's throw
- assist the student pull if necessary
- remove PC from students hand should he hold on to it
- remove PC/bridle entanglements
- avoid entanglement with PC and/or bridle
- depart immediately at PC launch

IMO, the best position to take to do that is close and below. You stay close so you can immediately reach the problems. You stay low to be underneath the action. Any time you are above the action you are putting yourself in a position to be part of it.

3. Take your camera off if you have outside video.

Yes, sir...can't argue that.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Same argument applies to skydiving in general. Guess skydiving should be banned since the yearly fatalities are already on record.

Another Chicken Little argument.

Can you give a well-thought out response instead?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Even in the Cookie video, one of the first things he says is:

"To reduce the chance of entanglment."

Like I said this is a question of when, not if.
[:/]

Some of us want to save lives and point out this unsafe practice, some of you want to keep living in denial land!
[:/]

:(

I got fat fingers Dude! Cant type woth shit on this glorified cell phone!

you know what kind of a hassel it is turning my AAd on and off with out fingernails???

I'm just envious of all of yo kids with cameras, I can't turn on the small buttons nor can I see these small screens in daylight anyways, so If i'm gonna be miserable so is everyone else...;)

:)C

There are mounts for the go pro that prevent anything from catching under the camera. This is also a simple solution.

Got anything for Go-Pro that minimizes the potential for entanglement...say, a fully enclosed box like what we used to see for top and side mount?

I've just started to roll out this fully enclosed Hero3 housing. It's mounted to a glove in these pictures, but the receiver cup can be mounted to any flat surface. It was designed with elimination of snag points as a top priority. Some parts like the buttons will pop off if pressure is applied, others have ramps to guide lines off/away.
http://www.funjump.com/files/Pivot_Pad_Hero3_housing_assembly.pdf

Chris

DSE

See attached. Discuss.

I built a collar for my GoPro that closes the gap between the helmet and the camera and anyone can do it.

Take an "old fashion" thick rubber kooozie (not the thin neoprene ones) and cut a slice of it the thickness of the gap between the helmet and the camera. The inner diameter of the koozie is exactly the right size to snug over the camera housing and into position below it.

It fills the gap up very nicely and can even be trimmed to hug the shape of the helmet and camera housing.

Works like a charm and has no hard attachment to mess with.

Cost effective as hell, too. Almost everyone has old koozies stashed away or you can get the old rubbery ones at many convenience stores for a couple bucks.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I built a collar for my GoPro that closes the gap between the helmet and the camera and anyone can do it.

Good thought and good effort, however, let's remember that a 'determined' line/bridle will be under great tension and will cut right through (or just squish) the koozie and hang up on the camera anyway.

It may provide some deterrent, and it is cheap and easy, but you really need something solid and smooth if you expect a line or bridle to slide right off.

I think a better idea overall is the 'miners light' approach. It provides for a mounting option that doesn't 'protrude' much from the helmet, and for AFF purposed it still allows you to 'head jam' the students ribs on exit if need be.

Here's my first swing at the idea, it's been working out pretty well so far.

WTF is a "head jam" ?

That what I call it, and why I put it in quotes.

The idea is that the inside instructor on an AFF jump, after the student 'checks in', will put the top of their head into the students ribs on their side. What this does is give you three points of contact with the student - legstrap, arm grip and your head.

It works a couple of different ways. One of them is that you can sort of push your head in, and pull their arm/legstrap(hip) back into an arch if the student doesn't want to do it on their own.

The other idea is that it gets you as close as possible the student before they leave the plane, reducing the chances that you get 'stretched out' if the exit gets weird.

In any case, a GoPro on top of your helmet makes hard or impossible to do this.

I jump a side-mounted Contour Roam on every AFF/coaching jump I do. It's an invaluable aid for debriefing. It is MUCH less a snag hazard than a stupid-ass GoPro mounted up top and it doesn't get bent out of position when head jamming when you are flying the inside slot on AFF. I've got rails to move it from left to right side depending on what position I'm flying. GoPros take great video, but I've only seen one bracket for them that I like. It does not use the stupid clear plastic stock case and mounts very low in front and tucks under the pads. Jason Spinnichia (Spinnach) made it and it's great. No possibility of tilting forward or back. Very slick.

Outside video on AFF is a joke. It's purely a money-making effort by DZO's which is held up by straws and the whining of people with no ratings or who simply refuse to use them anymore "because they want to swoop on every jump". If someone wants one on a Cat A so they can show it to their friends and family, great. Other than that, it's a total waste of money, particularly when most of us are jumping tiny cameras with very-wide-angle lenses that require no head turning to get the critical debriefing shots, even while hanging on. Ouside video on anything higher than a Cat C release dive is particularly worthless and a complete waste of money. There is no possible way that an outside video guy on a one-person cat D, E, or F is going to get any different a shot than I am because I am 100 percent focused on my student and in slot.

I've never had a student throw a PC around my head, but that's a good shot! I've been punched in the face at pull time PLENTY of times, though, when flying main-side. B|

That is all,
Chuck Blue, D-12501
AFF/TM/SL-I, PRO, S&TA, MMPCI-18, PFC/E