bunkerup

coaches

Anybody got a whine about the Coach rating and you don't have one? Kinda blows your credibility, IMO. I'd suggest get off your dead ass, get the rating, and do your part in improving the product.

I don't have a coach rating.... Can I still bitch about it? ;)
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Anybody got a whine about the Coach rating and you don't have one? Kinda blows your credibility, IMO. I'd suggest get off your dead ass, get the rating, and do your part in improving the product.

I don't have a coach rating.... Can I still bitch about it? ;)

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

You, my friend, have carte blanche to bitch about any thing, any time.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

As you know, Andy, I'm taking the coach course this weekend and I am very excited about it. I waited until after I had 200 jumps to get it. Would I have liked to have gotten it sooner? Yes. Did I feel my skills were good enough to get it sooner? No. I'm still very nervous about the course. But I'm also excited at the thought of finally being able to help and jump with the new jumpers fresh off AFF. So many times I've wanted to jump with them but haven't been able to. Hopefully after this weekend I will be able to pass some of my knowledge and love for this sport on to them. I never liked the idea of coaches getting paid. Cover the slot? Yeah, that sounds fair. I'm looking forward to the first time I get paid simply by seeing a huge grin on a students face in the air. That will be payment enough for me. :)

P.S. - Ok Andy, you can stop thinking of ways to screw with me in the course this weekend. I'm sure you have more than enough evil plans by now. :P

As you know, Andy, I'm taking the coach course this weekend and I am very excited about it. I waited until after I had 200 jumps to get it. Would I have liked to have gotten it sooner? Yes. Did I feel my skills were good enough to get it sooner? No. I'm still very nervous about the course. But I'm also excited at the thought of finally being able to help and jump with the new jumpers fresh off AFF. So many times I've wanted to jump with them but haven't been able to. Hopefully after this weekend I will be able to pass some of my knowledge and love for this sport on to them. I never liked the idea of coaches getting paid. Cover the slot? Yeah, that sounds fair. I'm looking forward to the first time I get paid simply by seeing a huge grin on a students face in the air. That will be payment enough for me. :)

P.S. - Ok Andy, you can stop thinking of ways to screw with me in the course this weekend. I'm sure you have more than enough evil plans by now. :P

Oh, Andy is your evaluator?

Forget all those tricks I told you they would play, I didn't know HE would be your evaluator! :D:D:P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Oh, Andy is your evaluator?

Forget all those tricks I told you they would play, I didn't know HE would be your evaluator! :D:D:P

He's one of them. I have a feeling I know a couple of the things he might try to pull on me. Hopefully I catch them or else I will NEVER hear the end of it from him. :D:D

He's one of them. I have a feeling I know a couple of the things he might try to pull on me. Hopefully I catch them or else I will NEVER hear the end of it from him. :D:D

Wish I could be an eval for you. :)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Wish I could be an eval for you. :)

I'm very greatful you're not. :P

Sissy :P

Andy - Throw her a few screwballs for me. :D

Liar, liar, pants on fire.

I do not, nor ever had, a coach rating..... I was grandfathered in due to having a SL rating. :P
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

All you Coaches and potential Coaches out there.

Please re-read Cindy's post.
THAT is what a coach is all about.

Oh, yes...I have been dreaming, plotting and planning.
>:(>:(
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Damn! I didn't realize you were that damned old

See, this is a case of cognitive bias... You are old, so you assume everyone else is also old :P. I just happened to have started at a young age.

As you know, Andy, I'm taking the coach course this weekend and I am very excited about it. I waited until after I had 200 jumps to get it. Would I have liked to have gotten it sooner? Yes. Did I feel my skills were good enough to get it sooner? No. I'm still very nervous about the course.

I still can't believe how nervous candidates get about this. You've got 200 RW jumps. You'll do fine. The candidates that have flying problems usually have just over 100 jumps and over half are free-fly.
The course is designed to teach you how to teach, not how to fly. Just RELAX....
And if you feel yourself starting to brainlock, do what we teach our students.
Take a deep breath in, exhale, then go on.

But I'm also excited at the thought of finally being able to help and jump with the new jumpers fresh off AFF. So many times I've wanted to jump with them but haven't been able to. Hopefully after this weekend I will be able to pass some of my knowledge and love for this sport on to them. I never liked the idea of coaches getting paid. Cover the slot? Yeah, that sounds fair. I'm looking forward to the first time I get paid simply by seeing a huge grin on a students face in the air. That will be payment enough for me. :)

I agree, up to a point. Just remember this when you're tired, got another student waiting, and have passed on a couple of "fun-jumps" already that day.
Doing it right (coaching) involves a lot of time spent with students both before and after the jump, and a fair bit of time when you're not teaching, getting together a plan for teaching each level. There is a difference between having a coach rating and being a good coach. A little time spent putting together a lesson plan or outline for what and how you're going to teach each lesson is invaluable.
Getting a smile is great, but getting compensated for all the time spent is not a bad thing either.

Just remember, unless you endanger the "student" (miss something serious on gear check, unbelievable bad spot, etc) or blow the hard deck, you won't fail any of this.
Relax and enjoy it.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

Well, I successfully completed the coach course this weekend. Ended up having a blast. I'll admit I called PopsJumper a few names during my eval jump with him. But he had to have expected it when he gave me a no count exit and then just smiled and waved back at me as I tried to wave him off and tell him to pull. :D:D:D:D

I got lucky in that just 2 hours after completing everythign and getting my proficiency card signed off I got to do my first official coach jump (yes, I know :D). I think I was much more nervouse than my student even though he knew this was my first official coach jump. But I ended up really enjoying it and he did a great job. I can't wait to do more. :)

Well, I successfully completed the coach course this weekend. Ended up having a blast. I'll admit I called PopsJumper a few names during my eval jump with him. But he had to have expected it when he gave me a no count exit and then just smiled and waved back at me as I tried to wave him off and tell him to pull. :D:D:D:D

I got lucky in that just 2 hours after completing everythign and getting my proficiency card signed off I got to do my first official coach jump (yes, I know :D). I think I was much more nervouse than my student even though he knew this was my first official coach jump. But I ended up really enjoying it and he did a great job. I can't wait to do more. :)

Congrats... even though Andy took it easy on you. :P

I am the OP of this thread. I was initially asking a simple question but have enjoyed watching it turn into a very informative discussion. Since the original post I have passed AFF and am nearing the end of my coaching jumps. It has been interesting to say the least. I have seen a wide range of attitiudes. These extend from "hey this is my job" to those coaches and instructors that obviously enjoy the act and art of teaching someone a new skill. I would like to add that those with the first attitude are by far in the minority. The only problem I see with this new found passion is my banker may never speak to me again.;). Oh well never liked him much any way.
To answerthe obvious questions yes I have bought beer and even some dinners..