k2everest

Latest on Tipping

How much to tip...I will be doing AFF program...

What advice would you give concerning tipping instructor?
How much, and should I tip after every level, or at the end?
Would appreciate up to date advice on this subject.

A lot of AFF instructors will not accept tips from students, for many reasons I'm too lazy to list.

Instead of tipping just buy more beer when you graduate.

Instead of tipping - hang around the DZ, and at the end of the day... Learn what the community does after hours (stay around and drink, go to a bar, etc) You probably will be invited to dinner with your instructors and their friends... As after all - skydivers like to do fun stuff with skydivers... If they don't invite you, invite the entire DZ to dinner instead and they likely will say yes. At dinner you can buy a drink for your instructor - or even just toast their efforts in a big sincere thank you.

In addition to what others have posted.... As I'm sure you've noticed, it's getting hotter outside as summer gets closer and closer. You'll surely make brownie points by bring a cooler full of water bottles on ice for folks to enjoy throughout the day. :)

Randomly f'n thingies up since before I was born...

There is nothing wrong with tipping if you WANT too. A 20 spot is cool each instructor. (there is two) I've seen people hand out more too, but all in all it's pretty rare to get a tip.

As others have said nothing wrong pizza and beer after sunset or cooler full of water/ gator-aid in the mid day heat.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Here's a tip: Don't post the same topic in multiple forums. It's called cross-posting and is against the forum rules and makes it difficult to follow a particular topic.....B|

Ok, I say that mostly tongue in cheek. Not trying to be a forum Nazi. Just pointing that out for use in the future, not trying to be a dickhead.

Anyway, I made my comments in the other thread.

Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

Tipping an instructor is quite easy if proper stealth is used. Just give a packer, S&TA, or DZO a fiver and have them get down on their hands and knees behind the instructor of choice. (The hands and knees bit should come quite naturally for the packers and S&TA. You may have to work with the DZO a bit.) Then lightly push the instuctor in the chest area. They tip over quite easily as they have no balance on the ground.
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Tipping an instructor is quite easy if proper stealth is used. Just give a packer, S&TA, or DZO a fiver and have them get down on their hands and knees behind the instructor of choice. (The hands and knees bit should come quite naturally for the packers and S&TA. You may have to work with the DZO a bit.) Then lightly push the instuctor in the chest area. They tip over quite easily as they have no balance on the ground.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Not required but always appreciated. My grandfather told me to never turn down free money. I never expect a tip but it's always nice when I get one. I worked at a DZ in another state and got tipped all of the time. The DZ I jump at now I can't remember ever getting tipped.

I've never gotten a tip from an AFF student. Once from a tandem. A cooler full of something cold would be most appreciated. A couple of instructors brought a cooler full of ice cold watermelon last weekend. Wow, was that appreciated. All of us overworked, overheated, undernourished and underhydrated instructors appreciated that.

There is nothing wrong with tipping if you WANT too. A 20 spot is cool each instructor. (there is two) I've seen people hand out more too, but all in all it's pretty rare to get a tip.

As others have said nothing wrong pizza and beer after sunset or cooler full of water/ gator-aid in the mid day heat.

At our DZ, there is a sign in plain sight in the room where Tandems get geared up; "TIPPING IS CERTAINLY APPRECIATED" which of course prompts most to tip.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

I think I'd be almost offended if someone offered me money.

A nice cold beer after jumping hours OTOH...B|

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

At our DZ, there is a sign in plain sight in the room where Tandems get geared up; "TIPPING IS CERTAINLY APPRECIATED" which of course prompts most to tip.

that's pretty much about the most tacky thing around - tantamount to asking for it -

no class

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

that's pretty much about the most tacky thing around - tantamount to asking for it -

I've seen tackier... I visited a DZ where the Japanese tourists were handed printed sheets with pictures of 10's and 20's that said tipping was either customary / appreciated.
Owned by Remi #?

tip your packers/riggers...they keep you comfortable and alive, just as much, if not more, than your instructors. your packers/riggers will remember that you were good to them, as much as they were good to you. the packers/riggers on the dz see the least love when the $$ is going around.

tip your packers/riggers...they keep you comfortable and alive, just as much, if not more, than your instructors. your packers/riggers will remember that you were good to them, as much as they were good to you. the packers/riggers on the dz see the least love when the $$ is going around.

On a busy DZ packers make more money than anyone else.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

As a camera flyer, I've been tipped on occasion. Anytime that happens, I split the tip with the video editors. I always like to tip my packers. Karma, you know.

In fact, here's a tip for everyone.... "Don't bet the ponies!"
:P

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

And if you ever get a field audit from the IRS the DZO better be ready to pony up all that unreported income plus penalties plus interest. If you have a sign you should be reporting tip income. And yes the DZO is responsible if the staff cant or wont pay.

Been there ...done that

The sticker in our tandem room says something like 'appreciated but not required.' I think that fits well because people honestly do not know. I've had several people ask me before seeing the sign. It's not like a restaurant where everyone is familiar with the protocols - and many want to know.

On a busy day (say a dozen tandems) on average I'll get tips from 2 or 3. I do my best to teach them as much about skydiving as I can in our short time together, and most people really appreciate that.

The only tips I've gotten doing AFF (closing in on 200 of them) is 6 or 12-packs of beer. I agree with others here that it's better to tell them to go get some beer and stick around for the post-sunset debrief, videos, bull-session, etc.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley