tamagotchi

AFF GoPro or Contour?

I use a GoPro for AFF. Level 1 - 3 I use the GoPro with the chest mount. Really good images of the student. Level 4 and up, I just put it on my helmet.

It does stick out more than a Contour, but I like the GoPro better. I can also just use the AV out to debrief the student. The Contour requires a computer to view the recorded images.

The GoPro also has a wider angle, thus you get more on video. At least it did when I bought my GoPro, not sure how things are now with the newer models of the Contour.

The GoPro also has a wider angle, thus you get more on video. At least it did when I bought my GoPro, not sure how things are now with the newer models of the Contour.

CoutourHD 1080p has multiple options for resolution, frame rate, and field of view.

The one I use 99% of the time is 1280x720, 60 fps, 135 degree field of view.
Its plenty wide.
__

My mighty steed

CoutourHD 1080p has multiple options for resolution, frame rate, and field of view.

The one I use 99% of the time is 1280x720, 60 fps, 135 degree field of view.
Its plenty wide.

Contour with Xtremevu mount

I much prefer the Contour over the GoPro. My reason...it's much lower profile. Plus, if you want to wear a giant toaster on your helmet, I've got a few in the garage you can have for free. It's save you the $300+ for GoPro!

Haha. Ok, in all honestly, the new Contour has a 170 degree Field of view and if you have an Android of iPhone cell phone, you already own the wireless viewfinder.

The best part? AFF instructors like the Contour better when you wear it on AFF levels 3 and above. Most DZ's won't let you jump it until level 3, but I jumped mine on AFF 1 because I'm badass like that. Don't worry though, I have a private pilot's license too so I'm totally badass at skydiving too.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I know a girl who jumps a go-pro on a belly mount as an AFFI. She gets interesting and helpful footage this way, IMO better than when mounted on a helmet especially for the first few levels.

I'm not an AFFI, just a coach, but for those type of jumps I'd strongly prefer the countour as it's the lowest profile of the 2 and easy to sidemount in a box/bracket.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Which one gives the best end product video?

IMO, the Contour has the best color rep, GoPro has the best compression for pushing around in post.
The Drift...not even gonna go there. it and the Muvi cams have pretty weak compression, and the color is very over processed. For Youtube vids and whatnot...they're all just fine. If you want to deliver a tandem or AFF C video...they're not great.

I know a girl who jumps a go-pro on a belly mount as an AFFI. She gets interesting and helpful footage this way, IMO better than when mounted on a helmet especially for the first few levels.

I'm not an AFFI, just a coach, but for those type of jumps I'd strongly prefer the countour as it's the lowest profile of the 2 and easy to sidemount in a box/bracket.

Saskia, I know who you're talking about. Where do you think she got the idea from ;-).

Here are some AFF jumps with the belly mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRtk_dRhGxM

Saskia, I know who you're talking about. Where do you think she got the idea from ;-).

Here are some AFF jumps with the belly mount. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRtk_dRhGxM

How does she mount the gopro for belly flying? I saw gopro makes a chest mount, but it looks like their's would just video the earth for belly flying.

How does she mount the gopro for belly flying? I saw gopro makes a chest mount, but it looks like their's would just video the earth for belly flying.

Well, it's not really a belly mount. I use the chest mount, but it almost sits on my belly. I think she uses the same system as I do.

The chest mount comes with an adjustable mount so you can point the camera to the student.