stayhigh

When you let go of your student at AFF level 4

which happens more to you ???
i have such a little aff jumps to say anything but seems like everyone is turning to the left once i let go.

standard otter exit, single instrutor on the main side.

and what do you tell your student to fix the problem??

yeah, yeah yeah, i can ask more experienced affi at dz but i just wanna ask bigger pool of advice.
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

If they are turning left it could be:

1. They are looking at their alti causing a turn.

2. You are crowding them and your deflected air is pushing them away, or they are trying to get some distance from you since they feel crowded.

I have to say I have not noticed one turn being more than another.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

My vote would have been neither - and that instead, more often than not, they back-slide!

I think turns to the left are probably more prevalent only because that is their altimeter hand side, and on those 1st release jumps, more than not will tend to cheat/look left as a result. As a rule - you go where you look, especially if you are in any way tense & not already fully acclimated/relaxed in your body position (and how many on just possibly even their only 4th jump truly are?) yet - and thus the most likely/prevalent turn therefore... to the left.

If you get a student who wants instead to focus on you, and where you are, and what you're doing - then most likely you will rather see them turning towards the right (towards you).

I see what seems to be just as many that stay nice, stable right in place too, and those that then, well... ;)

That is my experience anyway. It's truly a mixed-bag, and that's what makes it FUN FOR US, no? :P:)

Now, if you are saying you are seeing this, like very nearly EVERY time... are you concerned it may be something somehow involving your release procedure? I would think more likely, simply reinforcing to them, that they should:

1. RELAX and
2. Pick their heading out on the horizon, in front of them.

So long as you are not forgetting #2 (the more likely reason for them to start their turn in either direction, if you observed and 'trimmed them up" pre-release their body position was reasonably good) - I don't think you should experience anything otherwise so overly-weighted necessarily one way or the other.

As always though - just always be ready/prepared for ANYTHING, and always ...expect..... the UN-expected! B|

coitus non circum - Moab Stone

If there is movement it usually is to the left in my experience. BUt the altimeter checks usually cause a right turn because they check it by moving their hand or do what I call a watch check. Proper ground training at the beginning usually cures this before it starts.

Mine tend to turn right, but then again, they are taught to turn right as soon as we let go of them so that probably has something to do with it. Our level 4 is standard alternating turns and we just start out with a simple 90 to face us after release. Gives them something to think about other than the fact that I just let go of them.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

which happens more to you ???
i have such a little aff jumps to say anything but seems like everyone is turning to the left once i let go.

standard otter exit, single instrutor on the main side.

and what do you tell your student to fix the problem??

I hate to ask it, but if it's multiple students and the only common factor is you:

are you drifting upon letting go (video would tell) you could drift left, or release arm before leg, or many things, it's harmless, stick with them:

are you holding them in such a way that it makes them turn that way when you let go (how light are you gripping just prior to letting go, are you pushing down on an arm but not a leg, etc):

other than that....what they said - most don't drift, a few tend to back up - you can usually see that in their body position before release and sometimes you just can't get them perfectly trimmed and you should let go anyway and trust your skill - they gotta learn.

anyway, a light drift on release isn't the end of the world. That's why we teach finding heading and small corrections and turns. Nothing to really retrain on your student if they control the drift after the first bit, just review and practice.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Hi High,
Are you holding them with "one hand" at the shoulder or "both hands" at the shoulder when you let go?? Holding on only one side will set up for a turn unless the student, or you for that matter, is countering.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Im holding them with my left hand on student's leg strap before letting go.

And as for the rig fitting, i think it is on tight enough but one girl's case the rig shifted enough to make her turn.

Like i said im a newbie affi and i've only done hand full of level 4s and seemes like everytime when they check alti, slight turn to the left, or practice touch they will turn to the left.
And im thinking on both case should turn more or less to the right but they go opposite ways.

After reading some of the post ill just prepare for left or right and back....
Bernie Sanders for President 2016

Like i said im a newbie affi and i've only done hand full of level 4s and seemes like everytime when they check alti, slight turn to the left, or practice touch they will turn to the left.
And im thinking on both case should turn more or less to the right but they go opposite ways.

Do you have video flyers on AFF 4? Or do you wear camera? Take a look at it and watch the left arm closely. Your students could be dropping their left elbow when they look to their alti or reach for practice touches... If that left arm isn't level, it could cause a turn. Elbow down - left turn... Elbow up... right turn.

food for thought...

...seems like everytime when they check alti, slight turn to the left,

As Canadianfella said on this:
"Your students could be dropping their left elbow when they look to their alti or reach for practice touches... If that left arm isn't level, it could cause a turn. Elbow down - left turn... Elbow up... right turn. "

But there's more to it...

or practice touch they will turn to the left.

And to add to this:

It all too common for students to twist their body when doing PTs and at pull time.
That left hand comes over too low, they dip their head, they twist their trunk with the left shoulder and elbow low while reaching...automatic left-turn. Hell, some even turn their head trying to see what they are reaching for. (How good at catch and roll over are you? :D:D)

After reading some of the post ill just prepare for left or right and back....

May I respectfully suggest:

More thorough practice on the ground.
-Head up looking straight ahead at the horizon
-Left hand out front-center of head and body alignment with elbow high
-Shoulders level
-Only moving arms with no trunk twisting.

Hey! Just like YOU do when pulling. eh?
:)
The sad part is that no matter how much you drill on the ground, it's often not going to turn out that way in the air.
[:/]
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I find that my level 4 students do much better when I train them to concentrate on holding a heading during and after the release and then begin the post release maneuvers. In my case I have them do a COA and once they get the thumbs up from me they pick a heading and try to hold it. I then release and fly around to the front and give a double thumbs up before they start their turns.

This helps minimize the drifting you are experiencing as well as slowing down the over amped student who tries to whip out a turn as soon as you release and winds up on his back.