FTP_07

Do instructors do well....

But I figured if I had a tandem rating, it would help me pay for my fun jumps.

It can be used to supplement your jumping income. My first DZ job was as a SLJM. I would work on Sat and jump the money I made off on Sun.

That can be done with Tandems as well.... The major issue is that any DZ that will hire you will want you to be there quite a bit.

However tandem rigs appear to cost well over 10K so it's definitely a business investment.

You don't need to own a rig to do tandems.

Now I really have no idea what tandem masters make per jump but I would think it would depend on who owns the gear being jumped.

True....

They own the rig, I have made 30-42 per jump.

If you own your own rig, you will make 70-80ish a jump.

I know if I dished out money for a new tandem rig, I'd want the bulk of that $200 charged to students to pay for my investment. However it sounds like the money I was thinking of is no where near what folks make.
I'm not sure what my point is. I'm just sayin'.

There is not a ton of money in the business.... And tandems are hard on your body, particularly when you are new and don't know all the little tricks.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Just being honest and practical. If I was just going to jump for fun, I'd stick with wingsuiting and that would be that. But tandem jumping seems more like a business to me. And like I said, It would be a way to keep the cost of the sport down. I'm not thinking of it being a full time job.

Oh believe me I understand where you're coming from, I use to do tandems for the same reason...but finally decided that the money I was making 'part-time' wasn't worth the commitment it required from me...and my circumstance didn't lend to doing it full-time...also that the guys doing it full-time were probably better than me, and didn't need some hack like me skimming what money was available. :ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Just being honest and practical. If I was just going to jump for fun, I'd stick with wingsuiting and that would be that. But tandem jumping seems more like a business to me. And like I said, It would be a way to keep the cost of the sport down. I'm not thinking of it being a full time job.

Oh believe me I understand where you're coming from, I use to do tandems for the same reason...but finally decided that the money I was making 'part-time' wasn't worth the commitment it required from me...and my circumstance didn't lend to doing it full-time...also that the guys doing it full-time were probably better than me, and didn't need some hack like me skimming what money was available. :ph34r:;)
Oh yeah, I've thought about that too. I'm sure the guys who are working full time at it wouldn't appreciate a freelancer coming in and "taking their business".
Ah well, I'm sure I'll have a better perspective once becoming a TI is more of a reality for me.
Interesting thread though! ;)
Card carrying member of the
Nanny State Liberation Front

I wake up at 5:00am to go to my "real" full-time job everday. I like to have a nice house, a nice car, and I love to buy my little kids what they want. I like to have insurance and a retirement. I'm also a full-time skydive instructor. If you're a single person with no responsiblities, being a skydive instructor would probably be enough.