Jumpjonno

Horseshoe malfunction for STUDENT

The only legitimate point of contact is the risers which count as one point of contact.

The only proper procedure for dealing with any HS mal is:
1. Check altitude.
2. Remove the second point of contact if you can.
3. If you can't remove it, cutaway and deploy your reserve by USPA recommended Decision Altitude of 2500 ft.

This mal is the second most frightening for me to think of, second to a wrap.

My training was inline with all the others. Two attempts to clear or hard deck and then handles.

You are only considering a premature deployment and yes, the SIM, in Section 5-1, says:
a. First, attempt to deploy the main pilot chute for
no more than two tries or two seconds, whichever
comes first.
b. Failing that, cut away and deploy the reserve.

Question: Considering the possibility of main/reserve entaglement if the mal is not cleared. Is it best to try to clear until hard deck instead of two tries or hard deck (first of the two)?

Your job is to clear the horseshoe before your decision altitude. If you can't get it done, you should have cutaway and deployed your reserve by your decision altitude.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Indeed the most scary malfunction IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRAHfbbnTtY :|

this video shows main-reserve entaglement. there's no horseshoe here. hmm. maybe as somone sugested he pulled reserve at the same as he brokeaway which resulted in entaglement.

this video shows main-reserve entaglement. there's no horseshoe here. hmm. maybe as somone sugested he pulled reserve at the same as he brokeaway which resulted in entaglement.

Are we watching the same video?

A main suspension line was snagged on something (a container flap, according to the description). You can see it quite clearly.

You can also clearly see both the cutaway and reserve handles being pulled - about three seconds apart.

Main risers disconnected on cutaway, but the main was still attached by the snagged line.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

A main suspension line was snagged on something (a container flap, according to the description). You can see it quite clearly.

Main risers disconnected on cutaway, but the main was still attached by the snagged line.

hmm. where in the video did you saw that?

hmm. where in the video did you saw that?

This jumper did everything right in my eyes , and lived to tell the tale somehow. Its not a horseshoe and is as mentioned , because of a container issue that caused the main to get snagged and not depart when the cutaway was done.

this is some hero sh*t right here :)

Its not a horseshoe

I suppose that depends on exactly how you define "horseshoe malfunction". I've often seen it defined as the canopy being attached to the jumper by the risers plus some other point (or points) - in which case this would fit the definition. Granted it is not the "text book" horseshoe that immediately comes to mind when I hear the term.

I agree with you that the jumper did a great job dealing with a bad situation.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

Its not a horseshoe and is as mentioned , because of a container issue that caused the main to get snagged and not depart when the cutaway was done.

That's what I was taught is called a horseshoe: the canopy is attached to part of you and/or your gear other than at the risers. This includes problems like a bag out with pilotchute still in pocket, a bridle around your arm/leg, a line snagged on a flap or grommet on your rig, a breakline snagged on your camera helmet, etc etc.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

This is what Wikipedia says. Read last sentence...

Horseshoe
A "horseshoe" describes a malfunction where a parachute deploys but remains attached to a skydiver by its risers and one other point. This prevents the canopy from opening, and the canopy and lines form a horseshoe shape extending from the risers up and then back down again to the other point where the parachute remains attached to or entangled with the skydiver. This malfunction may occur when the closing pin of a skydiving rig is released from the closing loop and allows the deployment bag to separate the container. Because the pilot chute is still stowed, the malfunction takes on the shape of a horseshoe. This malfunction may also occur if the pilot chute or bridle connecting the pilot chute to the canopy becomes entangled with the skydiver. It is possible, though rare, to experience this type of malfunction when one or more parachute lines entangle with or snag on some portion of the parachute rig.

This is what Wikipedia says. Read last sentence...

Horseshoe
A "horseshoe" describes a malfunction where a parachute deploys but remains attached to a skydiver by its risers and at least one other point.

Let's be a little more clear.

This prevents the canopy from opening properly,

again...

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239