theonlyski

Keeping IAD current

Alright, how do all of you IAD instructors keep current at a turbine dz that runs mostly tandem/AFF?

I could probably get into an IAD course, but if I can't keep it current, its really just wasting a bunch of cash for something that I wont use much/at all.

Do any of the bigger multi-turbine DZ's do any IAD work, if so, which ones?
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Most who get their IAD ratings do so with the intention of working at a Cessna drop zone that offers the IAD progression program.

I have my static line rating and never did the IAD rating for the simple fact that I would not get in the minimum number of IAD jumps required to maintain.

Our dropzone is a small C182 dz (though we have 3 C182's) and we just started offering AFF this season. I imagine that we will start seeing less and less static line students. I will always think static line progression is a great program (though personally prefer doing AFF Instructor jumps) that serves as an option for those who don't want the accelerated version of skydiving.

The two larger turbine dz's in the area do not offer static line. I personally don't think turbines and static lines are a good mix... just from personal experience.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Alright, how do all of you IAD instructors keep current at a turbine dz that runs mostly tandem/AFF?

I kept current for a year by IAD dispatching experienced jumpers acting as students. I even did some out of a Caravan where the experienced jumper was getting out low.

No problem, except that I would forget to do them until cold weather and then the experienced jumpers balked because they didn't want to be open that high, and they wanted the altitude they paid for, usually 4000.

So I've been uncurrent for a while. In August I'll probably be going to an IAD course, just to do an evaluated IAD. Generally it is only one evaluated dispatch so it shouldn't have to cost too much. I can act as a student for others getting evaluated and at least get a jump or two.

You might find that you end up doing more S/L once AFF starts. We did in Canada 20 years ago, and while offering AFF sounds like a good idea, it may kill the profitability of the DZ. i.e 2 instructors, one student per Cessna load as opposed to 3 S/L students on a load.

We ended up going back to mostly IAD, and still offering AFF first jump, but at an outrageous price to make it worthwhile for the DZ.

I kind of wonder why you would still do S/L instead of IAD, especially if you plan an AFF program. IAD would save having to switch rigs back and forth from S/L to freefall setups.

You might find that you end up doing more S/L once AFF starts. We did in Canada 20 years ago, and while offering AFF sounds like a good idea, it may kill the profitability of the DZ. i.e 2 instructors, one student per Cessna load as opposed to 3 S/L students on a load.

We ended up going back to mostly IAD, and still offering AFF first jump, but at an outrageous price to make it worthwhile for the DZ.

I kind of wonder why you would still do S/L instead of IAD, especially if you plan an AFF program. IAD would save having to switch rigs back and forth from S/L to freefall setups.

You have a very good point and that has been discussed at staff meetings. I think until we have IAD rated staff we don't have an option. Right now we have a handful of static line Instructors and I don't think any of us are IAD rated. Not that we couldn't get the rating since I know an IAD IE that would be happy to come to the dz for a course.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I