freefalle

Wide angle lens for handicam

I bought a CX100 and I will get my cookie hand cam glove and a Liquid2 (.25) lens tomorrow. I may have some more info after tomorrow. I'm 5'10" and don't have really long arms so i went with the wider lens, based on advice from the guys a Chutingstar. Chuck I also bought my glove from them just had to wait a week or so as they added it to their regular order saved $40 on shipping form Australia.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death. www.reaperwear.com

I bought a CX100 and I will get my cookie hand cam glove and a Liquid2 (.25) lens tomorrow. I may have some more info after tomorrow. I'm 5'10" and don't have really long arms so i went with the wider lens, based on advice from the guys a Chutingstar. Chuck I also bought my glove from them just had to wait a week or so as they added it to their regular order saved $40 on shipping form Australia.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how much shipping was going to add to the order... I'm a little taller than you 6'2" but I dont think I can go wrong by ordering the wider lens, I think Ill go with that. Thanks for your help

Chuck

I just got my glove and lens, obviously I have not used it but just messing around it looks good, I love the glove it has a pocket for the hypeye D pro, that I was not sure if it had, all I need to buy is the Hypeye D and I'm set.
I refuse to tiptoe through life, only to arrive safely at death. www.reaperwear.com

I have a Cookie Liquid 2 (0.25) and it is fine for handicam. I also have a Waycool Blackeye. Much the same result.

You need to be aware of one specific fact about those two lenses. Both were designed for 4:3 aspect ratio cameras and, when used on a 16:9 ratio camera like the CX100, you will get fringing (vignetting) in the corner of the frame.

You won't see the fringing when you look through the LCD, but when you dub down the video to an editing app, like Vegas or iMovie, the black corners are obvious. Not a problem if you are generating SD video / DVD, but an issue if generating HD / BluRay or MP4 files.

The amount of zoom need to bypass the fringe is significant and defeats the purpose of having such a wide lens.

I also have a Cookie Liquid 3 (0.29) that I use for occasional handcam and general video. I does not have a problem with fringing, but it is not as wide as the .25. This isn't a problem for me doing handicam, as I have long arms :)

The Royal Platinum does not have a fringing problem, but the outer edges of the image are badly out of focus. Also, Royals seem to have a problem with condensation in the centre of the lens. This may be due to the convex outer element.