Kimmo

Installing a video camera on C-182

I can't help w/ C-182.

However, we at Skydive Dallas have a VERY fun new exit camera on the strut of our Cessna Caravan! We have already recorded one jumper falling out of the plane prematurely… most excellent video!
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I can't help w/ C-182.

However, we at Skydive Dallas have a VERY fun new exit camera on the strut of our Cessna Caravan! We have already recorded one jumper falling out of the plane prematurely… most excellent video!

Bah.... I leave and you guys get all this cool stuff. :P

Does anyone have experience on mounting a video camera on Cessna 182? The aim is to video student exits (S/L). I've tried to find out information but didn't find anything useful.

We mounted a GoPro to the wing of our C-206 using the sticky mount. Works just fine.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!

Is there a way to turn it on and off from inside the plane or do you have to turn it on before take off?

Depends on what kind of camera it is. Some come with remote controls.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I have all my 182's equipped for still pictures off the wing as well as video ability. First you will need to get a form 337 to be legal. This can be a bit more challenging now days depending on your local FSDO. I did this mod years ago and have paid for my aircraft several times just doing this alone on the side. As for set up... We used a pan-a-vise mount and bolted it under the wing just aft the upper strut attachment area and reinforced it along the rib there. Not a difficult job but some tweaking will be required to make it work and to get the right shot. I advertised selling this as a bolt on and go kit years ago.. Lots were interested but nobody wanted to spend any money... Not sure why, its a great seller... Im planning to use a go-pro on an inspection panel as well for unusual perspectives unless the local FSDO keeps me from it!!

The place I started at used to have a lipstick type camera mounted to an inspection plate by the strut. The pilot had a toggle switch to turn it on, it transmitted to a VCR on the ground (yes VCR), you could watch live from the ground. He tried to get it legalized, but the FAA never got back to him. The transmitter burnt out, so it went to the trash heap.
"If it wasn't easy stupid people couldn't do it", Duane.

My momma said I could be anything I wanted when I grew up, so I became an a$$hole.

True, I meant specifically the go-pro.

Have no experience with the go-pro, but you should be able to find all the answers you need in the photography forum
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

We used a go pro with the motorsports suction cup mount just for fun. Worked great. only problem is you need to have someone either turn it on while on the ground, or get out and turn it on while on jump run. And the same with turning it off.

I saw on a plane, where the DZO loved to brag about bending rules, a security camera (dome, waterproof) mounted to an inspection port under the wing. The wires ran into the cockpit where he had a memory stick recorder. No FAA approval, but it worked.

Mid-seventies DZO mounted an Olympus OM1 camera on the bottom of the wing at the top of the strut and told the students to look at as they exited. We noted a marked increase in the number of good exits for our static-line students because of it.

jon

This is a big (and expensive) video camera on a 206, but the same idea should work on a 182 (and the same mount was also used on a Twin Otter with the same camera.)

HW

:D:D:D

Sorry HW, but... The duct tape is a nice professional touch.

:P

:S

I remember Sparky mounting a camera under the step of the King Air down at Apple Valley "back in the day", but I don't recall it really working very well... :$

I have all my 182's equipped for still pictures off the wing as well as video ability. First you will need to get a form 337 to be legal. This can be a bit more challenging now days depending on your local FSDO. I did this mod years ago and have paid for my aircraft several times just doing this alone on the side. As for set up... We used a pan-a-vise mount and bolted it under the wing just aft the upper strut attachment area and reinforced it along the rib there. Not a difficult job but some tweaking will be required to make it work and to get the right shot. I advertised selling this as a bolt on and go kit years ago.. Lots were interested but nobody wanted to spend any money... Not sure why, its a great seller... Im planning to use a go-pro on an inspection panel as well for unusual perspectives unless the local FSDO keeps me from it!!

If it is not bolted (suction or to inspection plate) does it need to have the 337?

We just have a small sony inside of this setup- Kinda hard to see I guess. But it works great for s/l exits. And yes- ours you have to turn on and off on the ground. Once you close the case up- you can't touch the camera at all.

eta: Why am I in this forum? I like looking at all the cool pics and funny stories. hehe
I woke up next to a blowup doll Ash....so what do you think?

AT Gregory MI then on to Tecumseh a set up was made that recorded exits for static liners. It had a pressure switch on the step and took the picture a few seconds after leaving. Dont remember his name right now. Thwe pilot had a tape recorder and would ask their name and city to send the right pictures. Good smiles tail feathers and DZ back ground shots all in one.

Is there a way to turn it on and off from inside the plane or do you have to turn it on before take off?

I have not been following the thread, so sorry for the late response. :$

The C206 has a rear cargo door, so the GoPro is mount around 2-3 ft. toward the front of the plane from the leading edge of the door frame and about 6 inches or so from the body of the plane. It is mounted upside on the underside of the wing (the picture/video has to be rotated on a computer to see in rightside up).

We have to physically turn on the camera by reaching out of the door. Not ideal, but it is a quick and easy setup.
If you're not living on the edge; you're taking up too much room!