CP1010

AFF-Need some direction

Hi all. I'm trying to get into this awesome sport and I can't find anyone in FL willing to teach me to skydive. I'm 5'11" and 275lbs. I'm in pretty good physical condition and by no means a 'fat' 275. I just can't find a school that is willing to teach me because of my weight. I'm not sure if it's a legal issue, safety issue, or any combination of the two. Any direction is very much appreciated.
Thanks, Chris

Cross posting is a big breach of forum etiquette. You don't want to attract the greenies form the get go :P

Well it was his first post... I'm sure the mods will let it slide.:)

OP: good luck, hope you find the answers you need.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

HI,

There are weight restrictions put in place due to the break point that the reserve canopies are tested at.
Globally, 100kg is the maximum a student / tandem passenger may be to not breach the regulations.

If you can find a person that has a larger harness, reserve and main canopy that you can use / jump, or if you are prepared to buy equipment that will withstand your weight according to the regulations, you may be able to find someone that will assist to get you to start skydiving.

Hope that helps.

I think true friendship is under-rated

Twitter: @Dreamskygirlsa

The first consideration is the equipment. You're going to need specialized equipment to learn to skydive at your weight.

Student skydivers are provided oversized parachutes in order to provide soft landings, even in the event of poor student performance. Modern sqaure parachutes require input on the part of the jumper to provide the softest landings, and since a first time jumper cannot be counted on to perform correctly, the chute itslef is oversized so as to make up for the student. At your weight, there is no sport canopy or reserve made that would qualify as oversize for your weight.

There are options for larger jumpers, one of them being the military MC-4 freefall rig. These are available for sale, but no DZ I know keeps one on hand for student jumps. Another option is a converted tandem rig, which is origianlly designed for two jumpers, but modified for one. Either of those rig can be purchased for between $2k and $5k.

Another option is hunting one down you can rent for your student jumps. This would be a long term rental where the rig would be shipped to you for your jumps, and returned when you're finished. The cost will vary depending on what you find and how long you want it for. You may be asked to provide a deposit of the purchase price while you have the rig.

Beyond that, you have to find a DZ that will train you with the 'big boy' rig. A person your height and weight will fall extremely fast, and this is a consideration for the instructors. They will either have to be larger folks, or they will need to wear a weighted vest to speed themselves up, or both. Either case may represent an added cost.

Another consideration is the aircraft they use. A Cessna 182 will be limited to three jumpers with a person your size on board. Normally it will carry four, and if you jump at a Cessna DZ, you'll have to cover the cost of the extra seat. A Cessna 206 will have a similar limitation. Your best bet will be a DZ that runs a Caravan, King Air, Twin Otter or Pac 750. Any of those planes are big enough to carry you and ten other guys your size.

Once your training is complete, you will need to buy your own equipment. At your weight, you'll need to larger sport main and reserve chutes, and a custom harness. Even then, you'll be right on the edge of the certified weight limit. You will need to buy this equipment new as it is in short supply, and finding a used rig to fit your body size will be a long shot. Figure on spending between $5k and $6k to buy a rig.

You can be trained and you can be a jumper. You may have to travel to find a DZ that will train you, and you'll have to spend extra to provide your own student rig. Beyond that, if you're preparred to buy a new rig, and maybe be selective about which DZs you visit, you can be a jumper just like everyone else (broke, with few non-jumping friends, a possible alchohol problem, and difficulty holding down a job). Good luck!

Hello,

Dave covered it great but to add a little. I had a student who was 267 and in top, top shape. In fact he was a Dr. of Physical Therapy. He purchased his own rig and had a local rigger construct it meeting all requirements for his out the door exit weight. This took a bit of time but he was not discouraged. After he had a rig that was rated completely to include the main and reserve specifications we started him on AFF. Both instructors had to wear some weight, although it turned out due to his flat body position he really did not fall that fast. He finished AFF perfectly and has gone on to compete in relative work around the country.
Point being it can be done if you are determined and have the time and money.

I knew it would probably cost me a little more...(my wife's less than thrilled with the idea to begin with)..but I've wanted to do this for the longest time. WHEN I do it, I want to do it right. I know it's going to take some time. Thanks alot!! Can a tandem rig hold me or do you think I'm going to have to do the custom rig and all before I even jump?

I would consider anything to get in the air. The only reason I was thinking AFF was because, from what I've read and what I've been told from a school, was that if I decided I wanted to take this further and make this a regular sport, then I'd have to do AFF anyway to get certified. So, I figured I'll start with AFF and then, if I want to stick with it I've already got my first jump out of the way and won't have to pay for the "extra" first jump as tandem/static line. B|

I would consider anything to get in the air. The only reason I was thinking AFF was because, from what I've read and what I've been told from a school, was that if I decided I wanted to take this further and make this a regular sport, then I'd have to do AFF anyway to get certified. So, I figured I'll start with AFF and then, if I want to stick with it I've already got my first jump out of the way and won't have to pay for the "extra" first jump as tandem/static line. B|

That is incorrect. The school that told you you had to do AFF probably only offers AFF. You can get certified from static line without ever doing an AFF jump. Tends to take longer jump numbers wise but ususally is cheaper than AFF. Problem is seems turbine dz's are turning away from static line in favor of AFF.

Can a tandem rig hold me or do you think I'm going to have to do the custom rig and all before I even jump?

The tandem rig is there to hold the canopies you would need to make your student jumps. Part of converting the tandem over is generally a harness resize so it will fit a guy who needs the big canopies. Most tandem rigs are built with more average size harnesses, as most tandem instructors are average sized guys.

I would look into renting or borrowing a rig for your student jumps. They are out there, and most of the guys who have them are understanding of your situation and willing to help. There's a guy who posts on here under the name Blindbrick, send him a PM and see if he has any info on a big boy rig for rent or to borrow. Keep in mind that any DZ you find will want to have a rigger inspect the rig before they will let you jump it.

Buying a custom rig will run you at least $5k and probably closer to $6k, and because of the size will have very little resale value. You really should make sure that you like jumping and want to continue before buying gear. Of course, if you like jumping, the a brand new rig will last for 20+years and 1000's of jumps, so you'll get your money's worth in the long run.

This just in, check with everyone in this thread -

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=3813144;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread

- and somebody will be able to hook you up, or point you in the right direction to get your hands on a rig to make your student jumps.

Do you live in Florida? If so where? I can give you some DZs to call about AFF with your own rig. 99% of student gear is only rated for 254lbs, and if you factor in 30lbs for the weight of your rig, you can see why 220lbs or 225lbs would be the max body weight for a student jumper. If you can provide a suitable rig for yourself, more DZs would be willing to work with you as a student.