lpdwntnd

A little vid for any statice line instructors

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEewo8M---Y&feature=related

What is the proper way of handling a situation like this? Should you try jerking the static line or should you cut away and hope the student knows well enough to pull the reserve? I'm going through my static line progression(last static jump on Saturday and then my hop n pop).

Have to say I love the reaction of the instructor when it's all cleared.
Stop looking at me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEewo8M---Y&feature=related

What is the proper way of handling a situation like this? Should you try jerking the static line or should you cut away and hope the student knows well enough to pull the reserve? I'm going through my static line progression(last static jump on Saturday and then my hop n pop).

Have to say I love the reaction of the instructor when it's all cleared.

Have a hook knife on the plane ;)
Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

I'm going through my static line progression(last static jump on Saturday and then my hop n pop).

:S

Umm... they didn't teach you anything in first jump course what to do, as a student, if you end up in tow?

Agreed 101% .

To the OP- either they failed to teach this in your FJC, which is really bad, or you weren't paying attention when they taught it, which is really bad.
Before you even start to make it a habit, stop trying to get basic skydiving instruction advice from strangers over the internet. You have instructors for a reason. Use them.

They taught me what to do. Trust me, things like this are pounded into my head constantly since a lot of times I'm the only student around with 6 instructors and a bunch of tandem students. But I was more asking what anyone would think of doing if for some reason there was nothing to cut it with. Like it is in the video.
Stop looking at me

dumb !!!!!!!!!!!! since parachutes invented the procedure is for the student to put hand or hands on his head to show he is aware.... then cut the SL. dumb student and dumb instructor and dumb pilot !!! no knife !!! God that's dumb !!!

Pretty much it. All S/L I's SHOULD have a hook knife as part of their gear! Don't rely on one being in the plane that anyone could take out.
waving off is to tell people to get out of my landing area

Agreed, we do static line training where I fly and jump. I'll be taking the SL instructor course this weekend. We keep several hook knives in the aircraft just in case.
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Keep in mind you always have a knife in a Cessna, even if you don't have a hook knife. (Which should be unthinkable).

Just smash the face of one of the instruments on the panel (one of the cheaper ones is best ;)) and use the glass shard to cut the S/L, hung up jumpsuit, whatever . . .

NickD :)

Lol, smash the VSI...also works as an alternate static source if need be :) I usually have a swiss army knife in my pocket when I'm flying anyway. I've never thought about having to use it to cut away a student in tow, but you can pretty much fix anything in the world with a swiss army knife, duct tape, and a ballpoint pen :)
Blue Skies,
Adam
I fly because it releases my mind from the tyranny of petty things . . . — Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Funny . . .

I saw the photos of this incident when the original thread was posted, but I've just now seen the video.

Not much to say about the Jumpmaster. Other than he was unprepared, panicky, and his mannical laughter after the fact should have been enough alone to give him the gate.

But I'm so very jealous of him . . .

I learned the Student in tow procedure in my first jump course. Then I learned the Jumpmaster procedure for a student in tow in my Jumpmaster certification course. Then I taught those procedures in every first jump course, and every Jumpmaster certification course, I ever taught.

And for twenty years I faithfully made sure I always had a pair of gloves, a hook knife, and my trusty carabiner when ever I was dropping S/L students. And I waited. Like a cocked gun ready to fire when the big moment finally arrived.

I even had dreams about it. The unconscious student is dangling below with no hand on the helmet signal. I hook myself onto the static line using my carabiner and with my knife clenched firmly in my teeth I slide down until I reach my student. I cut us both away and open the student's reserve. Then I deploy my main before swooping in on the student's canopy for a quick CRW hook up (hey, it's dream). Then I steer him down to an into the wind landing right in the peas. Then the USPA marches me up on stage in front of 35,000 cheering skydivers and hang the Medal of Jumpmastering around my neck. Then I wake up . . .

But the big moment never came. Everything else happened. Pilots passing out on take off, single engines blowing up at 1500-feet, I even got myself in tow once jumping a tandem rig. But no student in tow for me.

So yes, I'm jealous. The big moment finally came and it was wasted on that other guy . . .

NickD :)

Not much to say about the Jumpmaster. Other than he was unprepared, panicky, and his mannical laughter after the fact should have been enough alone to give him the gate.

Opinions differ, but I'll still argue that maniacal laughter is one possible appropriate response, in the immediate aftermath of a dangerous event, showing relief at not having people getting killed, getting oneself killed, and not having the plane go down.

Panicky? In the sense of exhibiting great fear of something, yes.

But not in the sense of "unreasoning, irrational behaviour" as a result of fear. I haven't watched the video for some time, but I think the instructor searches the normal places for the knife to be, searches the glove box too, inquires with the pilot as to the knife's whereabouts, and tries to signal the student. Every one of those are appropriate actions ... even if done at a frantic pace and a voice at a higher pitch.

Given what he had been dealt with, is there anything better he could have done, at that very moment that the student hung up?

I could see an argument for him slowing down a little, which in some situations could lead to actions being done more successfully than when trying to do them very quickly. But that's easy to say when sitting at the computer and not having been there.

P.S. - At least the instructor will have his own "scary stories from the old days" to tell years down the road. Nick has his share already!

Why is that? Because your instructors suck and can't teach how to handle an in tow? Or your not able to handle yourself in that type of event?

1. Student was not trained right or was asleep during the part of class that teaches you what to do in such an event.

2. The student fucked up by pulling the reserve.

3. The DZO, Pilot, and jumpmaster are all at fault for not making sure there is a hook knife in a ready to access location in the aircraft.

Over all not that big of a deal to be towed behind the plane via S/L. Also with IAD there are a few ways one could end up being dragged behind the AC too, such as, your container opens early and drops the D-bag around the step or wheel and in a panic you jump off. (rare chance put possible)

Not likely, however a wise old man once said, if you can think it up, it's happened before or it will happen in time. In other words skydiving has killed a large number of people in the weirdest and wildest ways you haven't begun to think up, you are not immune because your doing IAD.
you can't pay for kids schoolin' with love of skydiving! ~ Airtwardo

Wow!

A few things from an old SL instructor since the '80s

1. The exit sucked. Not sure what caused the hang-up but there was something (from what looked like a student dolphin container) that was healthy enough to tow a student. Not a good climb-out and commands to get a good exit.

I did many poised exit students in the early days but we later went to all-the-way-out hanging exits just to get them away from the wheel strut. Static lines in front of the wheel strut is bad ju-ju

2. Very poor handling of the static line. I can't really tell from the vid but this may have contributed to the hang-up. Maybe something was mis-routed and should have been caught with a gear check.

3. No hook knife? I honestly started laughing when I saw the dude looking in the glove box and yelling at the pilot. When you are JM for dope ropes you have to have at least one on your body and ready to go. I would have one on my right leg (door side) and one on my chest strap. The one in the plane was bonus.
A jack the ripper will go through a static line with tension quite easily.

Other than that I think it all went quite well. (lol) If no other dents were in the plane I may have followed the student out and followed him down to make sure he was OK. Most likely the spot was off.

No apparent damage to the plane and it looked like he had a good canopy. Shit happens.

And, there is no way you can put this on the student.
He may have been trained what to do and did not perform as trained. Lets face it these guys are half checked out to begin with. Pulling the ripcord may have not been the right move but when you are hanging from an airplane and it is your first jump it might seem like a good idea.

He got a certificate, a logbook, maybe a bumper sticker, and he might be a regular skydiver someday.

It's all good!

And Nick..... Your fantasy was called " The Right Wally" and after Wally slid down the static line with his knife and carabiner the student woke up and Wally cut him away. Then Wally deployed his own canopy while holding on to the cut static line and magically deployed the students main.

That segment titled "The Basic Instructor" has got to be my all time favorite! Student #1 got shot, #2 jumped immediately (to keep from getting shot) and #3 was a static line in tow.

Funny shit man!
Onward and Upward!