herminiocordido

Re: [efs4ever] YouTube Video Tandem Chop with Handcam. A lesson for you HC dudes (and dudettes)

i am not a tandem skydiver, but i am a professional tandem paraglider pilot.

I know that you have to trust your equipment and all that, but if i open my canopy and it is perfectly flying and i have a locked toggle, i am pretty sure i wouldn"t cut away. i prefer to even cut the brake, and land on rear risers. i know you have little time to resolve before you are out of height to cut away, but i will definitely fight a little.

I think we as tandem paragliders are more used to have small canopy mishaps (little branches on take off, colapses that get cravated and such) and the reserve (round) landings are not that fun, so i keep emergency procedures for bad emergencies.

Nice Video and for sure a super experience for the passenger...

i am not a tandem skydiver, but i am a professional tandem paraglider pilot.

I know that you have to trust your equipment and all that, but if i open my canopy and it is perfectly flying and i have a locked toggle, i am pretty sure i wouldn"t cut away. i prefer to even cut the brake, and land on rear risers. i know you have little time to resolve before you are out of height to cut away, but i will definitely fight a little.

I think we as tandem paragliders are more used to have small canopy mishaps (little branches on take off, colapses that get cravated and such) and the reserve (round) landings are not that fun, so i keep emergency procedures for bad emergencies.

Nice Video and for sure a super experience for the passenger...

You are clearly not a TM!!!
I can assure you that you can not steer and land a skydiving-tandemcanopy using the rearrisers only. You (or at least the passenger) will end in hospital!!
When I try to pull a rearriser, I go up, the riser does not go down
(Yes I'm a TM)
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

Yeah, i have never flown in a tandem canopy (skydiving) but it make sense because of the 2 risers instead of 4 riser layout on the paragliders...

so if you have a broken brake you cut away aswell? is that the normal (by the book) procedure?

Cheers

Absolutely. You can't land a tandem safely with no ability to flare it at the bottom.
Russell M. Webb D 7014
Attorney at Law
713 385 5676
https://www.tdcparole.com

You are clearly not a TM!!!
I can assure you that you can not steer and land a skydiving-tandemcanopy using the rearrisers only. You (or at least the passenger) will end in hospital!!
When I try to pull a rearriser, I go up, the riser does not go down
(Yes I'm a TM)

I have watched a tandem instructor land on rear risers before (with a locked-up toggle). It was an uneventful landing.

I have watched a tandem instructor land on rear risers before (with a locked-up toggle). It was an uneventful landing.

Was that TI a particularly strong guy? (Just curious.)

I wouldn't say so. Not weak, but not a bodybuilder or anything.

Yeah, i have never flown in a tandem canopy (skydiving) but it make sense because of the 2 risers instead of 4 riser layout on the paragliders...

so if you have a broken brake you cut away aswell? is that the normal (by the book) procedure?

Cheers

I landed one once with a toggle and rear riser due to a stuck toggle. It all depends on the specific type of tandem canopy. There are some I can flare with rear risers, others I'd chop no question about it. But simply resorting to PLFing or something would be unacceptable on a tandem.
108 way head down world record!!!
http://www.simonbones.com
Hit me up on Facebook