Catwatch

Can you feel the recession at your DZ?

Hi everybody

Everybodys talking about financial crisis and recession. While we are still off season for 3 more weeks here, I would like to know what to expect this summer. For the people who jumped in winter time. Can you already feel that numbers of tandems, students or fun jumpers are declining? How much is it? Or can't you feel it at all?

Blues
Catwatch

I think a lot of the financial crisis would magically disappear if people were to act sensibly and stop with all this mass-hysteria.:P

As to the poll, Dutch DZs have other issues. Any other crisis pales in comparison.:(

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

We are a static-line progression 182 dz, and our 1st jump course is full weeks in advance. That's our bread and butter, believe it or not we don't do tandems.
What you say is reflective of your knowledge...HOW ya say it is reflective of your experience. Airtwardo

Someone's going to be spanked! Hopefully, it will be me. Skymama

I don't know if the DZ volume and finances have taken a hit or not. However, two of our part time AFF instructors and one of our part time camera jumpers lost their regular jobs. So, yes, we have had some impact.

Last year I asked our DZO your question and the answer was that student volume was UP. The hypothesis was that it was cheaper for folks to stay home and do a tandem than it was to go someplace exotic and expensive.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I don't know if the DZ volume and finances have taken a hit or not. However, two of our part time AFF instructors and one of our part time camera jumpers lost their regular jobs. So, yes, we have had some impact.

It's not losing a regular job; it's an opportunity to jump on weekdays! ;)
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Last year I asked our DZO your question and the answer was that student volume was UP. The hypothesis was that it was cheaper for folks to stay home and do a tandem than it was to go someplace exotic and expensive.

Yes indeed, that is the buzz I am hearing from alot of people

Hi,

The DZ that i am currently working at, wollongong Australia.

Just did its busiest weekend it has ever done since it started 10 years ago.

140+ tandems on saturday and 140+ on sunday, fully booked before the weekend started.

Yes it is a tandem factory but no the financial crisis has not affected it negatively at all, if anything it is alot busier.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

Exactly!
An old DZO used to market "mini vacations" at the DZ.
His logic was to convince tourists to do a tandem jump - near home - if they could not afford a week's vacation in Mexico.
We were always busy on weekends, even when the economy was slow.

Watch, the USPA BOD will quote this thread as an obvious indication that the $50,000 they spend each year on marketing is working. If numbers are up, it's due to marketing efforts by USPA. If numbers are down, it's the economy. Again, obviously more reason we need to be spending member dues on advertising!

I learned all this at the Winter BOD meeting!

On topic, I think our business is average. We're backed up, but the Kansas spring weather has been a problem this year.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

not to negate this discussion at all, but when was the last time that the number of people jumping (tandems, students, and fun jumpers) went down? I feel that as more and more people have more and more friends who have done a tandem and loved it, they are convincing them to jump themselves.
I'd wait for you outside the courtoom.
Taunting; when all of your appeals were declined.

Watch, the USPA BOD will quote this thread as an obvious indication that the $50,000 they spend each year on marketing is working.

If this genuinely happens, then they're fools.
Funny thing; we put effort into advertising, radio spots, special events, spotlight articles in newspapers. When we do these things, we can track the increase very easily.
When we don't, we can track that, too.

Watch, the USPA BOD will quote this thread as an obvious indication that the $50,000 they spend each year on marketing is working.

If this genuinely happens, then they're fools.
Funny thing; we put effort into advertising, radio spots, special events, spotlight articles in newspapers. When we do these things, we can track the increase very easily.
When we don't, we can track that, too.

The Staff did exactly what I referenced above. Throughout the 2008 season in conversations with DZs the staff were instructed to ask "how's business?" Then the results of this "survey" were cited as evidence at the BOD meeting that the marketing expenditure was having a positive affect.

It would be a better indication if the USPA notified DZs in advance of a media event such as the coverage of the canopy competition in Colorado. Then the day after the event, send an email questionair asking if anyone noticed an increase in traffic (calls, site hits, etc.) Problem is as I see it, this type of thing would get a whole lot of negative to no affect responses. The end doesn't support the goal.

Kind of like the whole Global Warming, now updated to Climate Change issue. You have to ask the right questions in order to get the desired answers! You can push statistics to show just about any answer you like.

Obviously any positive exposure skydiving gets in the media is good for the sport. The question though, is what we're getting worth the $50,000 expense? It's impossible to measure with any accuracy at all.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ