cpoxon

2 hours training for AFF?

Is this journalistic non-sense/Red Bull spin?

From http://media.www.bsudailynews.com/media/storage/paper849/news/2008/11/25/News/Bsu-Student.Wins.Red.Bull.extreme.Contest-3561049.shtml

Normally someone receives six hours of training before their first skydiving jump, Schilling said. But after only two hours, he was up in the plane and ready to jump.

And it was AFF rather than a tandem as I found this video
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live

To be fair, note that the video caption indicates that he spent two days with the team. We don't know how much training was going on during those two days and we sure don't know that the writer, Allison Suer, knows what she is talking about.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

If any of that is true (2 hrs for AFF, 2 days to start base jumping), it would be typical of the Red Bull crowd. Aren't these the same guys that want to take over USPA so they can approve their own low pulls?

If these knuckleheads aren't careful, they're gonna screw the sport up beyond repair. The FAA is filled with stuffed shirts that would like nothing better than to limit skydiving anyway they can, and crap like this can't help.

Of course they have to find some way to "out risk" the Go Fast jet pack guys for the media.:S

Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Is this journalistic non-sense/Red Bull spin?

From http://media.www.bsudailynews.com/media/storage/paper849/news/2008/11/25/News/Bsu-Student.Wins.Red.Bull.extreme.Contest-3561049.shtml

Normally someone receives six hours of training before their first skydiving jump, Schilling said. But after only two hours, he was up in the plane and ready to jump.

And it was AFF rather than a tandem as I found this video

Wow that is pretty interesting.

Interesting pull at the 2:28 mark.
Interesting body position on a b.a.s.e. jump at the 4:00 mark.

It will be interesting to see if this guy continues.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

It would be more interesting to see if those "AFF" instructors get to keep their ratings.
:S

Well since the jumps took place on the Northwest director's drop zone and one of the instructors was her son, I'd say yes.;)
Besides, what did you see that would warrant a review? The instructor's proximity during the second jump's pull (which was actually his fifth jump of the day) wasn't the greatest, but hardly worth yanking someone's rating.

actually the 'spinning' deployment is more common during AFF than a good stable deployment.
A little more experience and it goes away - you just talk about it and move on.

other than the short training there was nothing wrong with anything

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

actually the 'spinning' deployment is more common during AFF than a good stable deployment.
A little more experience and it goes away - you just talk about it and move on.

I wouldn't say spinning during deployment is more common than holding a heading at all. I've done buttloads of release dives with students from level 3 on up, and very few ended with a student spinning during deployment. In fact, maintaining a heading during deployment is part of the pass criteria at some point in every program (used to be levels 4 or 5 on traditional AFF).

Is shrugging off spinning during deployment another *new AFF* teaching technique?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

As long as everything works correctly, the short training could suffice.

The problem is, you can't guarantee that everything is going to work correctly. Therefore, you must have longer training to make sure that the student knows how to react properly when things don't work correctly.

If the student had encountered a malfunction, and been injured by responding improperly, there would be heads rolling for this short training.

These guys just got lucky.

It's a stunt that should not be condoned.

These guys just got lucky.

It's a stunt that should not be condoned.

I think that what Pops said earlier is worth repeating:

To be fair, note that the video caption indicates that he spent two days with the team. We don't know how much training was going on during those two days and we sure don't know that the writer, Allison Suer, knows what she is talking about.

Owned by Remi #?

I believe I put the word SPINNING in ''s as spinning and turning are 2 different things --- I would have had no problem passing the jump in question

And if your failing a student for not holding a heading at pull time its no wonder skydiving is decreasing!

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

from the article

Never give the gates up and always trust your rears!

from the article

Still ignoring the part where he spent 2 days with the team prior to that, eh?

Jeez, man. If we believed the papers we would be spending all of our time trying to figure out and correct why so many people went in because their "chutes failed to open"

It's media. It might be bullshit. It might win the lottery and be correct. Take it as such.
Owned by Remi #?

I believe I put the word SPINNING in ''s as spinning and turning are 2 different things --- I would have had no problem passing the jump in question

And if your failing a student for not holding a heading at pull time its no wonder skydiving is decreasing!

I'm not failing anyone. I've been retired from instructing for a while now. For what it's worth, when I was instructing, we had a highly focused AFF program that was growing our ranks like wildfire. That said, I'm also not questioning your judgment or opinion.

My point was/is pretty simple. The traditional AFF program had a specific heading maintenance requirement, and that included during deployment by levels 4 and 5. No, an instructor wouldn't typically hold a student back if a "turn" during deployment happened, but a "spin" or inability to hold a heading on repeated jumps would have to be dealt with before moving them on to coaches (not even a formal rating at the time).

My question stands - at what point does a jumper have to demonstrate the ability to hold a heading during deployment - if ever?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The traditional AFF program had a specific heading maintenance requirement, and that included during deployment by levels 4 and 5.

What was the heading maintenance requirement? Was it 45 degrees? 90 degrees? !80 degrees?

If it was specific what was the number?
Owned by Remi #?