Adi

TI question

Looking for info on what instructors make when taking larger tandems. What is the base price of a tandem and is there any surcharge based on weight.
What is the max weight you take, is it DZ policy or at your discretion? How are you compensated for the extra work? Please include name of DZ/location.
Thanks

I work at Edmonton Skydive Centre in Westlock AB. We do not get paid extra to take the big ones. Everyone does their share (with a pass given to the new 110lb instructor for now). Our stated max is 230, but we break it for fit people.
The DZO is talking about paying by weight next year but he has no plans on charging the customer by weight.

Alot of that will be depend on where, who, and how? For me I take up to 220, that's keeping under manufators max. by about 20 pounds. Where I'm at it's my choice, I've done a couple at that weight. Camera guys have trouble keeping up.....

I think you should choose well with the Drop Zone that you work for! Tell them up front that you want 200 and under.
jgaley69
www.jumpelvis.com

At West Plains Skydiving School, I pay our guys an extra buck a pound for every pound over 190, and each guy has his own limits. We've got one nearing retirement won't go over 190 lbs, a few of us limit ourselves around 225-235, and one guy consistently asks for the bigger students because he wants the extra pay, so we just watch TSO weight on him.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

And if the dz does not charge extra by weight don't try to hit up the customers as the TI and tell them there is a surcharge. I know of one instructor who did that for a while but when the dzo found out about if he wasn't too happy. Needless to say he doesn't work there anymore:P

At Pitt Meadows we only get paid $30 per tandem, no matter what size the student.
Our official maximum is 200 pounds for female students and 230 for male students, but we sometimes take heavier students if they are in above average fitness.
For example, the largest student I ever took was a 270 pound retired rugby player. The guy had thighs like tree trunks!
After agrandizing my ego ... I cut back to 230-240 maximum.
I try to hang less than 400 pounds of meat under SET400 canopies. With me at 190 pounds, that means most of my students are under 210 pounds.

Manifest is too embarrassed to charge a fat tax.
As the senior tandem instructor I got more than my share of fax, tall, lazy, stupid students.
Small, junior TIs only get small students for the first few weeks.

Where I jumped tandems I asked Bob the DZO for more money when taking the big, ugly ones... he said fine as long as I gave him a discount on the small, hot chicks.... I decided not to push it... :P

That is actually what we are looking at for next year. No net increase in average pay but paying based on weight just the same.

, and one guy consistently asks for the bigger students because he wants the extra pay, so we just watch TSO weight on him.

Who, me?:):D

I love your policy at WP. I'll try to come out a little more this next season. In between the overage fees, great packers and parties, V and I have a hell of a lot of fun over there. B|

Looking for info on what instructors make when taking larger tandems.

I don't take anyone up over 210 lbs or over 6.4 feet . I am 6 feet, 183 lbs. Is like that for most TI at my DZ in Flanders (Belgium). Price = 195 euro, and we don't get more/less depending on weight. Is within our own discretion. DZ also has it's limits (manufacturer) for weight / lenght. Handicapped passengers are at discretion of TI. I don't feel comfortable with those, so I don't do these jumps. I am not experienced enough to feel comfortable with handicapped passengers, not yet anyhow.

I jump fulltime at the ranch. Our listed limit is 225, but we go over at the discretion of the TI.

I go up to 500lbs, depending on what I weigh, thats usually 235lbs. I have no height limit, my examiner was 6'7".

We do not get any extra for overweight tandems, but never lose a jump if we refuse within reason. Some guys don't jump up to the limit, and the DZO is fine with that as long as they are consistent.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I've taken guys up to 260 and have never gotten paid a dime for the extra weight, kinda sucks when you have another DZ next door so you can't ask for a bit extra for the big ones.
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

I do Strong tandems with Set 400's and a Set 366 but at 5193 ft MSL. I make that canopy choice by weight and wind. I don't take anyone over 200lbs (anymore) and I also take a good look at their height/weight proportion. We don't get any premiums on any weight differentials but it's my ass so I do get to say no. That is more important than the money.
--
I'm a skydiving instructor, not a carnival ride. (But sometimes I play one on tv!)
--

the last dz I worked at didn't charge extra.
I was the only person willing to take people over
260lbs (fit men).
the jump was just not counted in the rotation so i would get an extra one later.
------------------------------------------------
'I refuse to tiptoe quitely through life
only to arrive safely at death' Anon