redramdriver

T/I's Rig of choice

looks like it has one of the drogue releases right under the cutaway like a strong. doesn't seem like that is the best place for it or am i the only one who thinks that that is not a good idea.

Looks like just you then!!

I have used the secondary on a few occasions with no issue, and cutaway with the secondary in place with no issue.

Have you jumped one?
Journey not destination.....

looks like it has one of the drogue releases right under the cutaway like a strong. doesn't seem like that is the best place for it or am i the only one who thinks that that is not a good idea.

Probably.

Most tandem manufacturers (Racer, Strong, etc.) now link a drogue release cable to the main cutaway handle, reducing the chances of pulling out-of-sequence during a malfunction.

Strong was the first, merely sewing an extra ring to the bottom of the main cutaway handle and routing a drogue release cable through it.
Most other tandem manufacturers copied Strong's idea.
Racer even went so far as to sew three cables to their cutaway handles (hint: the third cable is routed to the drogue riser).

I have pulled the drogue release cable - under the cutaway handle - hundreds of times on Strongs.

New Strong TIs have to pull that handle several times during initial training.

Rob Warner
Strong Tandem Examiner
4,000 plus jumps on Vector 1, Racer, Top-Flier, but mostly Strong tandems

over 8000 tandems on strongs,and i use that "secondary"handle under the cutaway handle ,everytime.advantges are its always in exactly the same place,u only have to pull it at most 6",and it doesnt put any extra pressure on a cutaway.i have never had to pull both drogue releases,i guess cos i am anal about gear checks.over 25 cutaways,only 1 required two hands,and btw i never have an rsl connected.in fact everywhere i have worked(except in usa ),had the rsl removed completely.

I am strong ,vector and Sigma rated and I just don't personally like the placement of the secondary release. I have never had an issue with it and I understand why it is there. But i don't think it is a good idea to be reaching in the vicinity of the cutaway to pull the drogue release.
If you never fall down you aren't trying hard enough.

We just got a brand new tandem gear from Paratec Germany.
Next conteiner, Speed reserve, main is Twin 372 elleptical and cypres 2.
Very cool gear.

A twin is ok till you jump an icarus, besides that there are several features I do not like with the next, like the width of the rig and the primary relaese which sticks out from the side of the rig.

Not my first choise
Using your droque to gain stability is a bad habid.
Also in case you jump a sport rig!!!

curious: why don't you like the placement of the secondary release?

At one dropzone I was at, we had eclipses, vectors, and sigmas as well as a couple strongs. On one of the eclipses, as folks know, the drogue release housing runs through the backpad at the main container. If packing weights are slung around into that main container and set down rough, it can crush the housing and preventing a cutaway since the drogue release will be stuck due to the crushed housing. Sure, one could probably still cutaway by pulling the cables out and leaving the handle in place, but that is a lot to worry about when cutting away.

This actually happened and I watched someone stand on the rig and pull the cutaway with no success since the release housing was crushed that was coming from the cutaway handle.

Cheers,
Travis

curious: why don't you like the placement of the secondary release?

At one dropzone I was at, we had eclipses, vectors, and sigmas as well as a couple strongs. On one of the eclipses, as folks know, the drogue release housing runs through the backpad at the main container. If packing weights are slung around into that main container and set down rough, it can crush the housing and preventing a cutaway since the drogue release will be stuck due to the crushed housing. Sure, one could probably still cutaway by pulling the cables out and leaving the handle in place, but that is a lot to worry about when cutting away.

This actually happened and I watched someone stand on the rig and pull the cutaway with no success since the release housing was crushed that was coming from the cutaway handle.

Solution: fire the clumsy packer who threw weights around!

i guess this world has already its share of all to obvious warning labels :|

Ever heard of a service bulletin or airworthiness directive? Half the point of those is to alert users and riggers of potential failures or weak pieces in the gear. The other half is to provide a solution to fix the problem if they provide that.

Cheers,
Travis

It is a very good place for it, and has fuctionality. It to avoid an out off sequence deployment.
I'm am rated on Strong , eclipse , mars, sigma and vector. I prefer strongs with set 360. (dz is 4000 agl) I let my pasengers deploy most of the time and the 360's i can do endless tandems all day long with out braking a sweat. There are pros and cons to every rig i've jumped and in the end if you make something idiot proof , the work creates better idiots!
All wings are safe - until their given to pilots

Micro Sigma with Sigma 340 as a main.
At my DZ we have 5 370 and 4 340 and everybody is fighting to jump the 340's. Toggle pressure on the 340 is like nothing compare to the 370. This canopy is very solid in turbulence even with a 100 pounds passenger and real fun to land on no wind with a 230 240 pounds passenger. Look like the 340 also have less tendency for tension nuts.

Richard
When you think you're good...this is when you become dangerous.