steveorino

earn their AFFI after 50

I believe he blew the interest a long time ago and is now whittling down the principle.
:D:D

Steve...count me in at 50+
(nunya, youngster)

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I just earned my AFFI from Michael Wadkins w/ xcelskydiving.com. I'm 53 years old. How many of you AFFIs got your ticket after 50?

Congrats steve!

When did you take up skydiving out of interest?

Static lines from 77-80. I was on a Halo/Scuba team in SF, but ets before I went HALO. BIG regret .. I took back up skydiving in 2001 at age 46.:)

steveOrino

I got My SL-JM when I was 18 and I Sl-I when I was 19. I got my Tandem I, after telling my dad to "fuck off, I am too small" ten years later at 29. I failed my first AFFI cert course when I had 1500 jumps and was "too cool " to practice because I was a four-way prick, then didn't actually get it until ten years later when I decided I actually "needed" it to be a "full time" skydiver right before I retired from the Army.

AFF is not for the feint at heart. If you do not REGULARLY do AFF then you don't need to possess the rating. NEVER, EVER, if you are an S&TA, pencil-whip the AFF rating of a person who does not regularly do AFF. No matter HOW MANY jumps total they might have.

If you can't stand the truth, then fuck off. Seriously. I take my job as a professional instructor VERY seriously and can't stand it when people just get their shit penci-whipped and lack the skills to deal with real students.

I have no interest in getting my AFF/I rating (but HUGE kudos to you) however I got my Tandem rating at age 51 and have done 400 since (I turn 54 in a couple of weeks, no pressies people, please)
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?

I have no interest in getting my AFF/I rating (but HUGE kudos to you) however I got my Tandem rating at age 51 and have done 400 since (I turn 54 in a couple of weeks, no pressies people, please)

I earned ny TI 2 years ago and have done a little over 420 of them as well. Yesterday I gave up several tandems so I could do 2 AFF jumps. They rocked! -- tandems are fun, but my new addiction is definitely AFF!

steveOrino

AFF is not for the feint at heart. If you do not REGULARLY do AFF then you don't need to possess the rating. NEVER, EVER, if you are an S&TA, pencil-whip the AFF rating of a person who does not regularly do AFF. No matter HOW MANY jumps total they might have.

If you can't stand the truth, then fuck off. Seriously. I take my job as a professional instructor VERY seriously and can't stand it when people just get their shit penci-whipped and lack the skills to deal with real students.

Sounds like a very good standpoint...
I know that on at least one of my AFF jumps i tested out if my AFFi was on his game or not ;)

And having heard some stories from AFFis (about scary students) I cant imagine a more nerve wracking job in the industry! (or outside of it for that matter)

hats off to all of you..

" I am too small " ? wtf does that mean...?

Oh, about 5'-6"ish and 160 lb ish small. Sure there are TI's that small, but not many. It's a tougher job for them than those who are bigger.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

" I am too small " ? wtf does that mean...?

Oh, about 5'-6"ish and 160 lb ish small. Sure there are TI's that small, but not many. It's a tougher job for them than those who are bigger.

I'm 5' 6"ish and 170lbs.... I've taken them up to 6'8" (try getting THAT out of a 182 ;) ) and up to 240lbs.... I took a biggish guy that works for Blackwater, I had to manhandle him out of the door of the 182 basically picking him up and sliding his legs out. When we were under canopy he said "You moved me around pretty good for a little guy" - that made me nervous, he probably knew more ways to kill me than I could think of but I checked with him and he was impressed NOT mad, phew..............
Pete Draper,

Just because my life plan is written on the back of a Hooter's Napkin, it's still a life plan.... right?