piisfish

Need pictures of malfunctions

I am actually training for my instructor rating and am looking for pictures of malfunctions.
Preparing a slideshow and desperately need material.

Maybe that kind of thing already exists somewhere.. but where ?

Thanks for your helps

edited to add : you can send the pics to niccronin at yahoo dot com
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I dont have any pictures Im afraid but you can buy this
http://skyhivisuals.tripod.com/malfunctions.htm

Which seems to offer what you need

I have used these.

I am not so happy with them as they are terribly outdated. I know students don't understand the difference between spanwise and chordwise canopy construction, however the canopy does not "look" the same as what they use.

I ALSO WANT some photos of mals. Not screenshots off of video, but high res quality modern images.

1) Line twists
2) Two out bi-plane
3) Two out side-by-side
4) Two out downplane (could be a CrEW downplane as with photoshop I could make it work)
5) Deformed but inflated canopy
6) Baglock
7) Horseshoe
8) Good canopy

Hopefully all with the same equipment.

I don't believe in overwhelming students, so I keep it simple... "Does it look and fly right?" "If not"... So I don't care about too many variations of a deformed inflated canopy (tears/broken lines/etc).

I dont have any pictures Im afraid but you can buy this

Which seems to offer what you need

I have used these.

I am not so happy with them as they are terribly outdated. I know students don't understand the difference between spanwise and chordwise canopy construction, however the canopy does not "look" the same as what they use.

I ALSO WANT some photos of mals. Not screenshots off of video, but high res quality modern images.

1) Line twists
2) Two out bi-plane
3) Two out side-by-side
4) Two out downplane (could be a CrEW downplane as with photoshop I could make it work)
5) Deformed but inflated canopy
6) Baglock
7) Horseshoe
8) Good canopy

Hopefully all with the same equipment.

I don't believe in overwhelming students, so I keep it simple... "Does it look and fly right?" "If not"... So I don't care about too many variations of a deformed inflated canopy (tears/broken lines/etc).

I could provide all of these except 2 and 4..
but the best I can do is a high resolution scan of some quality 'large' colour pictures which I dont think will be good enough for what you seem to want :S

If I come across any others I will post em up

but the best I can do is a high resolution scan of some quality 'large' colour pictures which I dont think will be good enough for what you seem to want

Seems good enough for what I need. Powerpoint and handouts and posters for walls.

but the best I can do is a high resolution scan of some quality 'large' colour pictures which I dont think will be good enough for what you seem to want

Seems good enough for what I need. Powerpoint and handouts and posters for walls.

I will see what I can do on the weekend.

One reply:

You can buy this

Those photos are the old standard.

But one problem with them is that the camera angle on a few of the photos is from "ahead" of the risers, like from a belly cam, rather than "behind" the risers, as if one is arching and looking up at one's canopy.

Therefore some have the risers coming from the bottom of the photo to the canopy in the middle, and some have the risers coming from the top of the photos.

At my DZ those pics on the wall of the training room would sometimes get turned 180 degrees and then back again by different people. One either showed a view with the risers in the wrong place, or one showed the mal with the canopy facing the wrong way.

I could be wrong about it confusing students. But it sure looked confusing to me as an experienced jumper.

Get "The First Jump Course" produced at Airohio a few years ago. Very complete malfunction section. We use parts of it in our FJC.

Good luck!
"Here's a good specimen of my own wisdom. Something is so, except when it isn't so."

Charles Fort, commenting on the many contradictions of astronomy

If anyone wants a highres of these let me know.

How do you use the 9401 picture?

Obviously we teach students to look past twists and to check their canopy first. We ask them to ask themselves, is it big, rectangular and sound; if no, as in that picture, it's a malfunction.

However, as experienced jumpers we might think that the twists have gone in before the canopy has fully inflated, so therefore could be an example of what they might see if they check their canopy before their 4 second safety count.
Skydiving Fatalities - Cease not to learn 'til thou cease to live