jasonRose

New TI’s

As a brand new TI (still on probation) it seems like I am learning a million little things on every jump. I absolutely love it!! I have some great people watching over me and sharing encouragement/coaching which has been very helpful in filling my tandem toolbox.

However, I find it difficult containing my excitement after each tandem, I don’t want to scare the shit of my next passenger while geeking out on my new tandem experiences. I talk to myself in my head a lot!! Not only is it a new experience for them but it is for me too. Can you relate??

TI (in my head)-

Plane ride- Down to business, safety first, remember your training run EP’s through your head a million times, check gear, check gear, check gear, check gear, ok you are going to rub holes through things if you keep checking it. Calm student, make ride fun.

In the door- Students nervous, I’m nervous, make sure this passenger doesn’t screw the exit. Grrrrrrr….. Ready, Set, Arch…

Free fall-
Yep student didn’t arch oh well were stable throw the drogue. Drogue check, Handle check, student check, alti check, DZ check, camera geek, repeat. Wow this seems like a long freefall. What if we had a mal right now, hmmmmm lets pull a little high just to be on the safe side.

Opening-
Open baby, Open baby, Open baby, YES!! Don’t scream so loud to blow students eardrums out.

Under Canopy-
Traffic Check, Canopy check, Student check, DZ check. Try to contain excitement to prevent scaring the shit out of student. Teach student how to land, practice flairs, (if light), man I am glad you aren’t a fat fuck.

Approach to landing-
All right Jason you are responsible for two don’t fuck up. Dam this canopy is huge. Locate camera guy, thank god he is waving his arms. Land on camera guy, stop moving camera guy, my bad, keep moving camera guy. Tell student to raise knees. FLAIR. Allow shaggers to take toggles, really it’s ok you can let them take your toggles you are on the ground.

After landing-
HOLY SHIT THAT WAS FUCKING FANTASTIC!!! Chill Jason what are you a newbie or something. Tell student what a great job they did. Do camera thing.

Grabbing gear-
This canopy is freaking huge, thank god for packers. Try to remain calm to not scare next student.
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Yeah buddy! I have over 1300 Tandems as the "I" and over 200 on the front as the "I-E". I still feel that way!

But I cover it up pretty good now that I have gotten proffesional acting lessons:P.

Stick to the check list and eventually you will see you have planty of time for that calming banter, it even helps keep the student cool too!B|

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Every TI has their own check list, looks like you've got yours started. Stick to it. That check list is what will keep you and your student safe, especially when the unexpected happens suddenly.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

In the door- Students nervous, I’m nervous, make sure this passenger doesn’t screw the exit. Grrrrrrr….. Ready, Set, Arch…

Get a good launch and outfly your students. Never worry about THEM screwing the exit....;)
TI excitement is good, but try not to out-geek your students and take them out of the limelight. B|

Be safe
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

jason...that was awesome...wow you sum up my day pretty well.

i took the course in late april, and have something close to 100 tandems, and 1 tandem cutaway. routine is something that helps me stay calm. yea the emotional rollercoaster is the most tiring part of doing tandems that i have experienced so far.
"the sky is not the limit....the ground is"

Free fall-
Yep student didn’t arch oh well were stable throw the drogue. Drogue check, Handle check, student check, alti check, DZ check, camera geek, repeat. Wow this seems like a long freefall. What if we had a mal right now, hmmmmm lets pull a little high just to be on the safe side. Perform grand mal epileptic seizure wave-off so people on the ground two counties over can see that I'm about to pull and don't know what this thing is gonna do

Opening-
Open baby, Open baby, Open baby, YES!! Don’t scream so loud to blow students eardrums out.

You missed one of your steps. :ph34r:

You're doing great Jason B| Now get back in the gym. :P

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I looked at some old video of my first few Tandems during the course and later after probation, I think I needed meds for the freefall seizers I had at pull time. They are a little more reserved now and I smile moreB|.

Matt

An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Free fall-
Yep student didn’t arch oh well were stable throw the drogue. Drogue check, Handle check, student check, alti check, DZ check, camera geek, repeat. Wow this seems like a long freefall. What if we had a mal right now, hmmmmm lets pull a little high just to be on the safe side. Perform grand mal epileptic seizure wave-off so people on the ground two counties over can see that I'm about to pull and don't know what this thing is gonna do

Opening-

You missed one of your steps. :ph34r:

You're doing great Jason B| Now get back in the gym. :P

Blues,
Dave

I forgot about that. I haven't seen the video but I am sure it will make me laugh!!!:$:$:$:D:D:D:D
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

Rosie -
The first 100 or so are going to be like that. It seems that is a magic number for getting into tandems. When you get to 1000 you should "get" tandems.
Here's a few pointers for that first 100.

1. Do your best to exit stable with every student. There will be time for flips and other crap later. Get the fundamentals down first.

2. Don't let the DZO talk you into taking students that are too tall, too heavy, or of special needs. And don't foget that often times its the little girls that can hose your exits the worst.

3. Don't let the DZO talk you into going up in conditions that you are not comfortable with.

4. Stay within your physical limits. Just because the other TMs are on their 10th of the day doesn't mean that you have to keep up. If you are worn out after 5, sit down until you are ready to do another.

5. If you forget all about 1-4 that's ok. This one is important. STOP ADJUSTING THE FUCKING MLW ON MY RIG.

Good luck,
aaron
“God Damn Mountain Dew MotherFuckers!”

4. Stay within your physical limits. Just because the other TMs are on their 10th of the day doesn't mean that you have to keep up. If you are worn out after 5, sit down pack for the other TMs until you are ready to do another.

All good advice, I just have one minor edit. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

some old video of my first few Tandems during the course and later after probation, I think I needed meds for the freefall seizers I had at pull time. They are a little more reserved now and I smile more

Can appreciate that. It wasn't long after probation and until someone pointed out that I was looking "very intense" on video and should probably smile more. I could tell exactly "what if" scenario I was going thru at that particular moment, but the constructive criticism was appreciated. One can still do all the math in their head and smile for the camera also. :D See.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.