hoash

Becoming an Instructor

Hello - I've been in the sport for 2 years and I've just done skydive number 100 and now I'm seriously considering quiting my job so I can spend some time focusing on skydiving. In an ideal world I'd like to become a tandem instructor and I would love the idea of moving someplace cheap and beautiful and with a good reputation for instruction (wouldn't everyone). I'm wondering if I can get some guidance and recomendations on the best path to take in order to get to the goal of coaching. A variety of thoughts and advice are appreciated.

Cheers - Hoash.

I call the troll.

I'll burn a few more calories on my response and not care if the OP is a troll. ;)

If you want to be a tandem instructor then find a mentor who is already a TI. Ask and learn in person.

Spend your next couple of hundred jumps nailing perfect exits. Learn how tandem gear works. You have a lot of time before you're qualified to use it.

Spend time on the ground with people who come to your DZ wanting to do tandems. Learn why they come and what motivates them. Learn how to motivate them to come back.

Learn what their fears are and learn how to help them relax without being dishonest.

Learn how to be a good ambassador (I have no idea how to spell that) of the sport.

Then decide whether or not you are truly willing to be 100% responsible for the lives of the students you may jump with.
Owned by Remi #?

While you are at it, learn how to pack tandems.
Packers are the best-paid people on most DZs.

While you are at it, earn rigger, videographer, etc. ratings. The more ratings you hold the more money you can earn.
Hint: rigger's greatest revenge is quietly making money - sewing - while everyone else is whining about the rain!

It would also be handy to have some other non-skydiving skills.
Mowing grass, raking leaves, taking out the trash, building web sites, etc, may not be glamorous, but they make you more valuable to any DZ.

For example, did I ever tell you about the time I called DZO Fred and told him about my long list of instructor ratings? Fred replied "Do you know anything about plumbing?"
"Er? no."
"Too bad, I am installing new showers."

Thanks labrys, sound advice.

Any tips on what DZs have the best Instructor Rating Courses?

My advice to you is to get some more jumps (like 100 in this summer or some tunnel time) before getting a coach rating, 100 jumps spread over 2 years in all reality is not near enough flying time to have the in air skills to coach others. As a coach you will need to be there in the air with the student close enough to observe them and have the skills to match their fall rate and go faster and slower in place so they can work the fall rate drills. You will also need to be able to do this without thought as you should be concentrating on the student and giving them in air feed back if needed.
I am not trying to knock you as I do not know you but just remember making money skydiving is far less important than being a competent instructor and inspiring students.
Kirk
He's dead Jim

Er.. yeah - and also the skills to easily evade any unexpected manouevres a student may make. Like some dumbass who spins out of control on exit for instance. :$

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

Er.. yeah - and also the skills to easily evade any unexpected manouevres a student may make. Like some dumbass who spins out of control on exit for instance. :$

Actually I go the other way on that one. My criteria for passing a student off AFF is that they have the knowledge to take care of themself on a solo jump and the ability to dodge an over-eager coach. :o:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

Hopefully you have been jumping at the same DZ over the years. Approach a rated Instructor and ask the question to them. It takes a lot of belly skills and more instructor abilities to make a good coach. Which is your first step in your Instructor career. Then you need alot more jumps and skills to become a TM or AFFI. Not trying to discourage you but stick with it and you will have a blast. I wouldnt recommend quitting your job just yet. Get the rating and see what happens.