RossDagley

USPA AFFI Requirements

Looking at the 2008 IRM, it lists the following as requirements for a USPA AFFI rating.

***a. reached the age of 18 years
b. holds or has held any USPA instructional
rating
c. earned a USPA C license or the FAI equivalent
d. logged six hours of freefall time
e. completed the USPA AFF Instructor Proficiency
Card (applicable portions)
f. successfully proven ability by successfully
completing the written and practical AFF
evaluation process with a USPA AFF Instructor
Rating Course Director/***

Am I reading that correctly that there is no minimum jump number requirement? I have it in the back of my mind that it was 500 jumps AND 6 hours freefall.

You are reading right, no jump requirement (tandem requires 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport, that's probalby what you're thinking of)

You have to have 200 jumps to get your C license. So there is one.

If you do all jumps from 13,500, that is about 360 or so to get 6 hours of free fall so there is a second.
Scars remind us that the past is real

If you do all jumps from 13,500, that is about 360 or so to get 6 hours of free fall so there is a second.

Of course for wingsuit flyers the new 6 hour AFF qualification standard can be accomplished very fast. :)
Think of how stupid the average person is and realize that statistically half of them are stupider than that.

You are reading right, no jump requirement (tandem requires 500 jumps and 3 years in the sport, that's probalby what you're thinking of)

You have to have 200 jumps to get your C license. So there is one.

That's kinda stretching it a little. The requirements are C license and 6 hours, not specifically 200 jumps or 360 jumps or whatever. If all you do is CRW, it'll take forever to get 6 hours, if all you do is wingsuit, it could be quicker.

Strato, I don't know when you checked the requirements, but at least last year when I took the course, there was no specific jump requirement, just the other things (time, license, prereq. card filled out)

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

Of course for wingsuit flyers the new 6 hour AFF qualification standard can be accomplished very fast.

Yeah, wingsuit people get hours quickly (I've got 5 1/2 hours already and 250 jumps), but know I don't have the belly skills to get an AFFI, or even show up to the course.... 30 more minutes won't help either.
This isn't flying, its falling with style.

Yeah, wingsuit people get hours quickly (I've got 5 1/2 hours already and 250 jumps), but know I don't have the belly skills to get an AFFI, or even show up to the course.... 30 more minutes won't help either.

I say go for it.....you never know these days. :P:S I've even seen some AFF I's that cant fly a wingsuit, let alone stay with a student. :D
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

b. holds or has held any USPA instructional
rating

Does this mean a coach rating, or do you have to be S/L or IAD before AFFI?

"instructional rating" includes coaches. If it said "Instructor rating", that would imply a prerequisite of a S/L, IAD, or Tandem I rating.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

How about "nylon compression engineer" instructor? Does teaching to pack count?:)
So . . . do you have to be a coach prior to getting a S/L or IAD rating, or tandem rating? Is the BIC still being used as a starting point? Am I a total dinosaur who hasn't been paying attention?:S

I'm glad I got all my ratings a long time ago. Too many hoops to jump through now.:D

How about "nylon compression engineer" instructor? Does teaching to pack count?:)
So . . . do you have to be a coach prior to getting a S/L or IAD rating, or tandem rating? Is the BIC still being used as a starting point? Am I a total dinosaur who hasn't been paying attention?:S

I'm glad I got all my ratings a long time ago. Too many hoops to jump through now.:D

Yeah, the coach course is most like the BIC, with a little bit of JM thrown in, and you have to pass it before you can get an I rating. For a little while there was an AIC that you could take to become a CD, but now rumors are that they're going to switch to an IECC of sorts. Does that clear things up? :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)